Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No: other
    Bob24 wrote: »
    Where did you see the OP suggesting do disobey the rules? All he’s saying is that the situation is being poorly handled by our government vs some other counties and that some of the “experts” have been giving poor advice.

There's no way of knowing this with the conviction of the OP.

Who knows how this crisis pans out in the end? Everyone is doing something different, the WHO doesn't know, South Korea and even the Czechs don't know, not even the HSE knows ( :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved
    dfx- wrote: »
    You simply cannot know what was best to do for your set of circumstances until years from now.

I already know what was best to do from yesterday, wear a mask, both for me and the big ass ejeet I was beside.
    I saw someone wear a surgical mask in a supermarket yesterday that just covered their mouth and their nose was exposed.

Did you inform them and help them regarding your observation or just ignore and stand back from that just like the HSE, Thought so, just like cabbage and vegtable friends.

You wanna talk shop, let's.

Well when I was in the supermarket, I saw a big ass mother****er in a suit throw a causal sneeze into his elbow, blew half his load all over the fecking side of the shelf. He walks off all gym like with his proud wings puffed out, probably thinking to himself, I followed HSE advice, I'm a good citizen, proudly showing everyone his wet sleeve, as he tucked his basket handle into his arm.

I immediattely alerted staff of where he sneezed and informed staff to disinfect the area. What I learnt from that is from now on in public I am bringing my pump action and i'm gunna blast dat muder feckin sneeze outa it! Then and there on the spot, no hold back... no surrender.

Keep an open mind on this thread and you might learn something, might.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

And yet Singapore, again credited for their initial reaction, is seeing stringent lockdown restrictions after a huge spike of infections.

Note though that Singapore was first exposed to the virus much earlier than we have, has a much, much higher population density meaning propagation is much harder to control, and yet they managed without a lockdown much longer than we did and have a death rate per population 50 times lower than Ireland. Just this demonstrates a better handling of the situation, and I am also fairly confident they’ll be able to limit the duration of the lockdown to a shorter period than us.

I don’t think anyone is saying a good handling of the situation means no impact for anyone. It just means a smaller impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

2u2me wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced what is; the Sweden model has been disproven yet. I really hope the Imperial College data is right, we're yet to see the explosion in deaths yet that is constantly predicted. I guess we will know alot better soon.

Average of 60 dead every day for the last few days, total 793 dead according to yesterdays figures. If 60 a day is their apex they're ok, given their higher ICU capacity than here. And not doing much worse than we are actually with their population of 10 million.

Numbers are stabilising in Stockholms hospitals, the region that has by far been worst effected. The only other problem there they have to get a handle on is the same as here- clusters in nursing homes. That's one of the main reasons why the Swedish mortality rate is higher so far than their Nordic neighbours.

https://www.svtplay.se/video/26375598/rapport-engelsk-text/rapport-engelsk-text-9-apr-18-45?start=auto

English subtitles if you're interested or bored enough to follow the news there. Todays update at 18.45.

I wasn't convinced they were going the right way about it at first tbh, but then I remembered what Sweden is like (I lived there) and watched their news reports on it and what their state epidemiologist has been saying; so the correctness of their approach makes more sense to me now. There's lots of complex factors at play that feed into it but suffice to say I think Sweden is the only country in the world I can think of that can successfully pull off herd immunity without vaccine for this virus and not have a catastrophic outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

It actually is a very good reason for following one standard approach instead of every country doing something slightly different - if there was a world health authority for example and everyone followed it, even as it changes.

A standard approach wouldn't work. You have huge cultural, social, economic differences between countries like Italy and Norway for example that mean what works in one country would not work in the other. To take one example- the reason why Italys death toll is so high is because they have many multi generational households. Norway doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Spring Celebrator

Lot of question what kind of filter to use in masks.
    Hepa filter
    I have a source but can not post it.
    thewirecutter.com/blog/can-hepa-air-purifiers-capture-coronavirus (add www.)
    Can be sourced very cheap from hoover bags (Henry..)
    BUT be carefull, most of them are made from fiber glass and you dont want to breath in fiber glass.
    If its a home made mask (3 layers) I dont think its necessary to use another filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Greentopia wrote: »
    Coffee filter maybe?

Coffee filters are designed to let water through though, so wouldn't be the best for catching water droplets I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

No: I don't care enough
    dfx- wrote:
    Wash your hands, stay indoors, listen to the experts, stay away from people, don't touch your face. It's that simple.
    That's simply not enough.

See the Irish curve of daily increases. We're still at 8% daily growth. We need to get it to 4% and below. If you don't do masks and massive testing, isolating and tracing, you would need months of lockdown which is economically destructive. We can't afford it. Since HSE suck at testing, tracing and isolating, the only option is to mandate masks. It's the easiest measure the government can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

From this Youtube tutorial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FB--BOyTiU I made up the following two DIY masks, which are basically the same as the cloth face masks recommended by the American CDC.

Three layers of cotton material, outer layers from an old khaki shirt and the inner, brushed cotton from an old pair of pyjamas. I used a sewing machine but they could also easily be hand sewn.

O97LU9R.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Spring Celebrator

railer201 wrote: »
    From this Youtube tutorial, I made up the following two DIY masks, which are basically the same as the cloth face masks recommended by the American CDC.

Three layers of cotton material, outer layers from an old khaki shirt and the inner, brushed cotton from an old pair of pyjamas. I used a sewing machine but they could also easily be hand sewn.

To give you a heads up, once those become mandatory, elastic bands will be hard to source for a while (experience from my home country).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

To give you a heads up, once those become mandatory, elastic bands will be hard to source for a while (experience from my home country).

Shoe laces or similar will do almost as well and what I used for the CDC mask in post #873 above. Elastic is a better choice admittedly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Shoe laces or similar will do almost as well and what I used for the CDC mask in post #873 above. Elastic is a better choice admittedly. :)

I actually found shoe laces better as it can be knotted to suit the individual . We lived through two recessions and the auld 80’s !! So we never throw out shoes without removing and washing the laces so I have a big tin of laces ! Now who would have thought we would need them for masks

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Yes: surgical
    For those of you looking at filter materials take a look here

https://jennifermaker.com/diy-face-mask-filter-materials/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can you reuse kn95 masks?

Google is unclear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I put up a link somewhere here for cleaning and reusing N95 masks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

French authorities have also been saying masks are only useful for confirmed cases (although they are slowly starting to change their tune).

See below a picture of the French president visiting a doctor* today. Are we saying all the people one this picture are sick, or are they doing the opposite of what they are telling their population to do? ;-)

XVM4cbc2b14-7b50-11ea-9e2c-96d0306afde6.jpg

* the one who kind of got world famous for being first to promote the use of chloroquine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

No: other
    From this Youtube tutorial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FB--BOyTiU I made up the following two DIY masks, which are basically the same as the cloth face masks recommended by the American CDC.

O97LU9R.jpg?1

Florence Nightingale would be proud.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Florence Nightingale would be proud.

SHe would and doubly so if you have an owl in your pocket like she used to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No: I don't care enough
    this wexford farmer has made a mask from a bra cup...
    A 64-year-old farmer has made an innovative face mask to protect himself during the current Covid-19 outbreak, according to Wexford People.

The idea sprung to Matty Behan’s mind while shopping, after he failed to locate a mask.

Speaking to Wexford People, he said: “I was walking around and just came upon them [bras] and the thought just struck me.”

full story here

fryup wrote: »
    this wexford farmer has made a mask from a bra cup...

full story here

Ans somewhere on here someone poted link showing the n95 mask designs were based on bra cups

circle of life eh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Wild guess peeps, I'll give it a week at most when we'll be advised to wear face protection. HSE and government will have a great idea to go on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes: other
    We should all wear masks as seeing someone coughing and the vapour droplets in the wind.Standing in a Q to get into shop there was a slight breeze blowing down the Q and thought how easy it was to pick it up.We are all living on a knife edge trying to keep safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Tbf I think wearing gloves should be a given from time going out the door and throw away after you get home. Amount of people that just lift tins or bread etc and just put them back. Masks should be worn I believe as protection

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Tbf I think wearing gloves should be a given from time going out the door and throw away after you get home. Amount of people that just lift tins or bread etc and just put them back. Masks should be worn I believe as protection

Except the gloves don't give you protection. You're only picking up the loaf of bread and transferring germs to everything else you pick up. You walk around the shop with the same gloves touching everything you buy, you reach into your pocket with the gloves on to get your wallet, pay for your groceries with your bank card, it's now on the wallet and bank card. You open the boot of your car wearing the gloves, there's the germs on the handle of your boot. The germs are on your car key, your steering wheel, gear stick and your phone if you use it in the shop.... The exact same if you used your hands... Just wash your hands, don't touch your face, wash/disinfect your groceries, wash/disinfect your car, your keys, your phone and everything else you touched.

Except the gloves don't give you protection. You're only picking up the loaf of bread and transferring germs to everything else you pick up. You walk around the shop with the same gloves touching everything you buy, you reach into your pocket with the gloves on to get your wallet, pay for your groceries with your bank card, it's now on the wallet and bank card. You open the boot of your car wearing the gloves, there's the germs on the handle of your boot. The germs are on your car key, your steering wheel, gear stick and your phone if you use it in the shop.... The exact same if you used your hands... Just wash your hands, don't touch your face, wash/disinfect your groceries, wash/disinfect your car, your keys, your phone and everything else you touched.

You take the gloves off after putting shopping in boot, thrown them in bin outside shop, sanitise hands with hand sanitiser door handles and phone cover (and card with a disinfectant wipe).

Fresh gloves to bring in shopping and wipe it down then take off those gloves bin.

For me gloves are extra protection, it isnt rocket science a coupe of videos and ads explaining gloves and masks like the handwashing ones and people will be flying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Yes: homemade
    Here in Vietnam cloth masks wildly available but the medical ones are harder to get if your a westerner as many pharmacies will not sell to you, but i got some vietnamese friends to buy them for me as have aging family members and they cant get masks( for people looking after them) and hand sanitizer anywhere. As long as the flight home is still on( which it is) ill be home in a few weeks, give them some sort of relief to have these things as they are fairly panicked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

khalessi wrote: »
    You take the gloves off after putting shopping in boot, thrown them in bin outside shop, sanitise hands with hand sanitiser door handles and phone cover (and card with a disinfectant wipe).

Fresh gloves to bring in shopping and wipe it down then take off those gloves bin.

For me gloves are extra protection, it isnt rocket science a coupe of videos and ads explaining gloves and masks like the handwashing ones and people will be flying

The poster said that gloves are a given when leaving the home and taking them off when getting home. I was just pointing out how they don't provide protection like people think they do.

I'd rather just wash my hands, wash disinfect everything, not touch my face instead of thinking I'm safe wearing gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Was listening to a virologist from Lancaster University this morning on how the virus can be transmitted by just talking to another person. This is now accepted in the wider medical community and it really should come as no surprise to anyone. This is why some of us have been saying for many weeks that masks are so important.

Yesterday, there was a poster on here talking about the 15-minute rule required to get the virus, and how it was not possible to contract the virus by a heavy breathing jogger passing close by you. Neither of these statements are true, and they actually sound illogical knowing how contagious Covid-19 is. The same illogical guidance is what we are receiving from the HSE and government about not wearing masks. I expect though that there will be a slow u-turn by them on this.

Wonder if anyone saw the BBC Hoziron's program during the week about the virus. It was truly an eye opener. The exponential nature of where we are with the virus was shocking. We are past the point of no return according to the presented graphs .... mathematically speaking. There was a moment when we could have leveled the curve to stop the exponential increase, but that time has passed.

We should remember with all of this not-too-positive news though is that thousands of very clever people around the globe are using their expertise to come up with solutions. One report this morning talked about a September vaccine. Whether or not it is a realistic expectation for a safe vaccine so soon, there are positive reports of vaccine progress and other treatments to reduce the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0410/1129892-virus-strain-begins-to-show/

Good article by Fergal Bowers . Also advice about using masks .

My thinking is it cannot harm so I use a mask but the public need to be shown how to use them
    We need Videos on hand washing , mask use and glove use every day and often

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone saw the BBC Hoziron's program during the week about the virus. It was truly an eye opener. The exponential nature of where we are with the virus was shocking. We are past the point of no return according to the presented graphs .... mathematically speaking. There was a moment when we could have leveled the curve to stop the exponential increase, but that time has passed.

It's easy to think about in terms of spread rate. How many new people will the infected infect? If it's between the 1.3-1.5x spread rate(Which is what this virus is- a doubling of new cases every 3-4 days) of uncontrolled spread then the whole world would catch it in a matter of 2 months.

If however you can reduce the spread rate to exactly 1 or below 1, you can level the curve, stop the exponential growth. (Lockdown measures, masks, social distancing etc..)

But let's say you have 30% of the population already have it, not much difference reducing the spread rate to 1 at this stage. It would only buy you at most a few days.

So it really depends on how many people have it; which is a point of contention. If imperial college data is to be believed in the 11 european countries that they studied
    . We estimate that, across all 11 countries between 7 and 43 million individuals have been infected with SARS-CoV-2 up to 28th March, representing between 1.88% and 11.43% of the population.

We won't know without better testing. Another indicator will be the death rate, but because of the lag in between getting the disease and deaths we can only ever guess how many people had it about 2-3 weeks ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement