Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood what I said. I was replying to a point that said that little to no infections in supermarkets during lockdown when masks weren’t required. I actually stated that it is likely that little transmission in supermarkets during lockdown because strict numbers were allowed in. I said there was exponential (probably an incorrect term but when you go from 100 to 15000 in two months exponential is adequate) growth as masks weren’t required and since they are figures are low.

The poster in question was trying to state that masks have no evidence of working. If you look at my posts and in particular what they were responding to it hopefully is clear that I never said that no masks in supermarkets was the cause of huge rise of Covid cases in lockdown.

I might have misunderstood Joe. I dont know. Sorry f I did. I think I have covid fatigue by now (not the symptomatic one lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

No: other
    To the idiots who keep saying "It's just a mask" and who scream "TINFOIL HAT" and every second poster on this forum have a look at what's in store for us all if you don't wake up.

Soon "It's just a mask" will become "It's just an app". The video below shows you what's ahead. If you don't know what the green, amber and red colours mean there's a second video below of how it works in China. Health passports are on the way, this is an undeniable FACT, it is written in stone.

Skip one minute in.

Good luck.

This Health Passport Ireland is a brilliant idea, sooner its rolled out the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

AUDI20 wrote: »
    This Health Passport Ireland is a brilliant idea, sooner its rolled out the better.

Reason why we got 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

To the idiots who keep saying "It's just a mask" and who scream "TINFOIL HAT" and every second poster on this forum have a look at what's in store for us all if you don't wake up.

Soon "It's just a mask" will become "It's just an app". The video below shows you what's ahead. If you don't know what the green, amber and red colours mean there's a second video below of how it works in China. Health passports are on the way, this is an undeniable FACT, it is written in stone.

Skip one minute in.

Good luck.

Yep. Double down on the tinfoil. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes: other
    wake up.
    this is an undeniable FACT
    it is written in stone.

INTERDIMENSIONAL ALIENS JOE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Beautiful day today.

https://youtu.be/WFyOm9Bg2aM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

have a look at what's in store for us all if you don't wake up.

You won't believe what happened next! Click here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yes: surgical
    Sorry but the HEALTH PASSPORT IRELAND concept is presently useless as most countries want a test conducted within 72 hours prior to arrival, plus these tests are only valid at the moment of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Yes: to protect myself and others
    I have a question about reusable cotton masks:

If in a workplace or if out and about in an environment whereby you might have to take off your mask/face-covering numerous times e.g. to eat, drink etc.; can you put back on the same mask again or do you need to get another one? To date, I've been putting my mask into a plastic bag and into my pocket and reusing it. I sanitise my hands after touching mask and try to only touch it by the ear-loops. It's recently came to my attention that this may be wrong, however, in terms of the need to use multiple plastic bags and having multiple masks/coverings so that as soon as one takes off one, it won't be used again until washed. In that case, one would need quite a few masks/face-coverings per day I guess.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts/advice on correct mask use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I wear masks at work. We have been given 2. Honestly if I take a drink or adjust my mask or whatever I don't wash my hands mevermind change masks. Who could be bothered to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

bush wrote: »
    I wear masks at work. We have been given 2. Honestly if I take a drink or adjust my mask or whatever I don't wash my hands mevermind change masks. Who could be bothered to do that?

People who want to wear them correctly and minimise the risk of spreading COVID-19.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    People who want to wear them correctly and minimise the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Do you wear a mask for 8 hours a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I have a question about reusable cotton masks:

If in a workplace or if out and about in an environment whereby you might have to take off your mask/face-covering numerous times e.g. to eat, drink etc.; can you put back on the same mask again or do you need to get another one? To date, I've been putting my mask into a plastic bag and into my pocket and reusing it. I sanitise my hands after touching mask and try to only touch it by the ear-loops. It's recently came to my attention that this may be wrong, however, in terms of the need to use multiple plastic bags and having multiple masks/coverings so that as soon as one takes off one, it won't be used again until washed. In that case, one would need quite a few masks/face-coverings per day I guess.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts/advice on correct mask use.

I'd say what you're doing is fine insofar as your sanitising your hands regularly when wearing/adjusting your mask and avoid touching the fabric. It's about minimising risk, it will never be zero.

I use the same mask during the day when in similar situations to what you mention (with a spare available should it be needed). If i need to take off my mask I hang it from a belt loop using one of those cheap aluminium carabiners. I handle it using ear loops only, without the need to touch the fabric. The ones I use have a nose wire & the fit doesn't need to be adjusted, I wear glasses and haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do you wear a mask for 8 hours a day?

Me personally, no. I'm working mostly from home. Other people in my company wear masks for their full shift. Some wear masks and a visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

https://twitter.com/i/status/1293321739167047683

Of course back in March Luke O'Neil poo poo'd the use of face masks. I have been wearing one from the beginning but do think its less important now than it was in March, still wearing it though,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"The science" hasn't changed, because I don't know what that means, I find it a strange use of words.

I think the perspective changed on their use as PPE to protect an uninfected person to use as barrier to contain the viral droplets from an infected person.
    And we didn't have enough PPE quality masks.
    The guidance on use of masks as PPE was for situations such as a family member caring for a suspected case, or in healthcare settings where there was a high risk of being exposed to a high viral load. The concern was on contact transmission as the mask unless respirator level would not have blocked all the viral load the 'carer' was exposed to.

There is now more data available on risks of aerosol transmission versus contact transmission, and on high viral load in pre-symptomatic infectees, case studies on mask wearers v non mask wearer situations, and data from countries which adopted masks, effectiveness of cloth coverings as barriers (but not PPE).
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114417187&postcount=9193

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Yes: valved

Coronavirus aside, I'd be worried about cross-contamination, given your job in food preparation. I thought that frequent hand-washing was a must in those circumstances to comply with health regulations? And not touching your face, nose or mouth, with or without a mask?

I'm probably just being naive, but it's another reason for me not to eat out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have been wearing one from the beginning but do think its less important now than it was in March, still wearing it though,

It is more important now.

Forget March, if we were all wearing them in early February we wouldn't have had the infection rate we did.

As for people recommending against their use, it was a pretty transparent lie, probably noble at the start, but to keep it up long after supply issues were gone was silly in the extreme.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Coronavirus aside, I'd be worried about cross-contamination, given your job in food preparation. I thought that frequent hand-washing was a must in those circumstances to comply with health regulations? And not touching your face, nose or mouth, with or without a mask?

I'm probably just being naive, but it's another reason for me not to eat out ...

Yes of course I wash my hands as normal but if i adjust my stupid annoying mask I'm not going to wash my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    smurfjed wrote: »
    Sorry but the HEALTH PASSPORT IRELAND concept is presently useless as most countries want a test conducted within 72 hours prior to arrival, plus these tests are only valid at the moment of the test.

It may be offered or eventually ordered as a means to track vaccination as soon as they proclaim some of them working and move to mass vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

patnor1011 wrote: »
    It may be offered or eventually ordered as a means to track vaccination as soon as they proclaim some of them working and move to mass vaccination.

Isn’t that what your travel vaccination record is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Boggles wrote: »
    It is more important now.

Forget March, if we were all wearing them in early February we wouldn't have had the infection rate we did.

As for people recommending against their use, it was a pretty transparent lie, probably noble at the start, but to keep it up long after supply issues were gone was silly in the extreme.

Infection rates/new cases mean nothing. Outcome of cases is the important details and those are overwhelmingly positive. The risk to the majority of the population is minimal.

But if we want to focus on cases, masks didn't stop the numbers dropping between May and July, nor have they stopped them increasing since. Plus they're not used properly by many people anyway so they are at best ineffective.

"But, it's to stop others catching the virus from you". Grand.. I'm not sick, haven't been sick, live alone, and because I have a full time job from home I don't generally go out much during the week anyway. Why should I be legally forced to wear a mask that is nothing more than a placebo for most (assuming they care at all at this stage)

If you're at risk because of age or existing medical conditions or lower immunity then absolutely mask up. If you're fearful of catching the virus then work away, but forcing this measure on everyone in a scenario where almost no one is dying at this point, few need hospitalisation and even fewer need ICU care is becoming increasingly untenable as the days roll by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No: I don't care enough
    joeguevara wrote: »
    Everything he says is correct. I never thought I’d do this as a person who advocates wearing masks, but this guy should not be putting out videos as he does more harm than good. If I was anti mask the first thing I’d point out is this guy is not a medical doctor. He uses DR but is a doctor of Philosophy from Bolton university teaching bioscience in nurse education. He has no expertise in viruses and his main role is development of multimedia resources for nurses.

The fact that his videos could be used as expertise makes it easier for others to denigrate it. This guy is basically a fraud (with decent facts).

The fact that he is a Ph.D teaching about Bioscience gives him a lot more credibility than a fraud. He might not be a medical doctor but he hasn't claimed to be, and his videos are certainly doing a hell of a lot more good than harm.

You make him sound like Mike Ross. Channeling my inner Reagan here a little, but he's no Mike Ross (and even if he was, Mike Ross did a hell of a lot of good).

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Infection rates/new cases mean nothing. Outcome of cases is the important details and those are overwhelmingly positive. The risk to the majority of the population is minimal.

But if we want to focus on cases, masks didn't stop the numbers dropping between May and July, nor have they stopped them increasing since. Plus they're not used properly by many people anyway so they are at best ineffective.

"But, it's to stop others catching the virus from you". Grand.. I'm not sick, haven't been sick, live alone, and because I have a full time job from home I don't generally go out much during the week anyway. Why should I be legally forced to wear a mask that is nothing more than a placebo for most (assuming they care at all at this stage)

If you're at risk because of age or existing medical conditions or lower immunity then absolutely mask up. If you're fearful of catching the virus then work away, but forcing this measure on everyone in a scenario where almost no one is dying at this point, few need hospitalisation and even fewer need ICU care is becoming increasingly untenable as the days roll by.

Masks didn't stop the numbers dropping in May?
    That might make sense to you but no one else.
    Precisely because we don't want to repeat the measures that were imposed in May, masks are rolled out as an alternative low impact low costs measure to reduce risk in enclosed community spaces.

You seem to understand that you are being asked to wear a mask to contain the droplets from an infected person. Then you tell the vulnerable to mask up?
    Makes no sense.
    There is actually some evidence that wearing surgical and above masks reduces the viral load an infected person is exposed to, meaning they are hit with a less severe dose of the virus. Is that what you mean?

To move from "some people aren't using them properly" to that makes them across the board ineffective is a leap in logic completely without substantiation.

That you 'know' you aren't infected is irrelevent and unverifiable.
    It's up there with sure let's not breathalyse for drink drivers as if you have a pioneer pin you must be a teetotaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

No: I don't care enough
    saneman wrote: »
    I'd say what you're doing is fine insofar as your sanitising your hands regularly when wearing/adjusting your mask and avoid touching the fabric. It's about minimising risk, it will never be zero.

I use the same mask during the day when in similar situations to what you mention (with a spare available should it be needed). If i need to take off my mask I hang it from a belt loop using one of those cheap aluminium carabiners. I handle it using ear loops only, without the need to touch the fabric. The ones I use have a nose wire & the fit doesn't need to be adjusted, I wear glasses and haven't had any issues.

The obsession with not touching the mask in non-healthcare setting is largely irrelevant.

Yes, you shouldn't touch the mask, but Sars-cov-2 isn't cholera and we're not surgeons where touching the mask could contaminate something seriously.
    If you touch your mask here and there it's not a big deal, yes, shouldn't be done, but that's the main objective of masks is still met.

Covid is almost entirely spread by aerosols from talking, breathing, sneezing and coughing. It's important to close the main route of transmission and that is your respiratory system outflow.

Sanitising hands is a good hygiene habit anyway for preventing flu and other bugs, no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Masks key to reducing Covid-19 deaths in Ireland, say US experts. IT article link.

The research predicts 2,940 deaths in Ireland by January 1st if mask-use remains at current levels. In a best-case scenario, where more than 95 per cent of people used masks, there would be 2,180 deaths, compared to the 1,777 deaths so far recorded.

The Department of Health did not respond last night to a request for comment on the latest forecasts.

Seanergy wrote: »
    Masks key to reducing Covid-19 deaths in Ireland, say US experts. IT article link.

I saw that article linked on the main thread but even from the IT article I couldn't get an idea of how they came up with the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

looking into that, One of their projections is that axpected deaths from now until January 1 can be reduced by 64% through universal mask use. Once the UMU > 95% compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

What is the legal situation regarding someone who is exempt from face covering "because of a physical or mental illness or a disability, or because it would cause you severe distress".

Do they have to have documentation from a doctor?

If not, do they have to have to state what their illness/disability is?

In the UK people with exemptions do not have to prove it. Is it the same here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    moonage wrote: »
    What is the legal situation regarding someone who is exempt from face covering "because of a physical or mental illness or a disability, or because it would cause you severe distress".

Do they have to have documentation from a doctor?

If not, do they have to have to state what their illness/disability is?

In the UK people with exemptions do not have to prove it. Is it the same here?

As far as I know a Gard can’t ask you what your illness is. I know in the UK it’s something like 10k in damages are awarded if the police insist on knowing your medical issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement