Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yes: surgical
    I used to wear masks in work to protect me from getting anything from the patients, hence when this started I bought some in January

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is there anywhere to even buy masks now? I'd happily wear one when out in public

cj maxx wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to even buy masks now? I'd happily wear one when out in public
    All of our masks were bulk-bought in Jan/Feb by Chinese nationals and tourists and sent to their relatives back home. They were doing it all over the world.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus-chinese-students-and-tourists-buy-12000-face-masks-edinburgh-pharmacy-send-home-families-1381955

Several pharmacists I know have told similar stories. I highlighted it at the time. Export of essential PPE should have been outlawed.

What they're sending us now is mostly defective. They took all our good stuff and 2 months later sent us total junk. You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52092395

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yes: valved

Do you have a sewing machine a home by any chance. They're easy enough t make. We have made our own.
    Despite the green jersey jingosim in our press I think the head of the HSE Paul Reid is way out of his depth and it shows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes: other
    They're hard to find now and price gouging is in full effect. I was talking with a pharmacist the other day and they told me they got some stock in and they sent it right back. Really shoddy quality and scandalously expensive on top of that. It's one area where we've really dropped the ball.

Like I said I can fully understand why the HSE have been peddling the notion that they're useless in the wider community, as they needed them first, but they have to dial that back because clearly people are taking this as gospel, even when it's bloody blindingly obviously contradictory and incorrect and someone in government needs to source enough so people can wear one in public.

They're a simple enough thing to make and I'm sure there are any number of small firms in paper/clothing etc industries large and small that could ramp up to production.

On top of that they need to run a drive for community making of them like they did in the Czech republic until we get supplies in place.

And like the Czech republic and Taiwan I'd make it compulsory to wear face masks in public places. They work. They worked for SARS and they'll work for what is a near identical virus.

People need to watch this video and we as a nation need to get on board with it.

We need the clear leadership to do so. I will lay a bet now that when we look back at Christmas public wearing of masks will be compulsory in many many countries and hopefully our own.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0053FQIM6/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1585669641&sr=8-7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭1641

Austria distributing and partially obliging the public to wear masks to stop people spreading infection:

"Austria will require shoppers to wear basic face masks in supermarkets in a bid to slow the spread of the coronavirus, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said on Monday. ..........................

“As of the moment these masks are handed out in front of supermarkets it will be compulsory to wear them in supermarkets,” he said, adding the aim in the medium-term was for people to wear them in public more generally as well.
    The so-called MNS masks are below medical grade and aimed at preventing the wearer from spreading it to others by coughing or sneezing, he said, adding: “Currently the infections are far too high.”
    The masks will be handed out probably from Wednesday
    ." https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/coronavirus-austria-to-make-basic-face-masks-compulsory-in-supermarkets-1.4215750

"It would be a mistake to think that such masks protect you,” Mr Kurz added. “But the airborne transmission is somewhat reduced. This is not a substitute for [social] distancing.”
    https://www.ft.com/content/f68f3063-5024-4654-9389-bcc7ee1efd8e

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here's an irish seller on ebay https://www.ebay.ie/itm/10PCS-Protection-3-Layers-Fabric-MOUTH-AND-NOSE-COVER-FACE-MASKS-mask/223959594563?hash=item3425083643:g:zfwAAOSwedNegIdp 12 quid for 10. No idea of quality but better than nothing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

1641 wrote: »
    Austria distributing and partially obliging the public to wear masks to stop people spreading infection:
    Good idea and it'll be coming here soon too and rightfully. They reduce the spread of droplets from people breathing and coughing and the reduce the amount of droplets breathed in by those not coughing. Like the lass in the Czech video puts it "I protect you, you protect me". If everyone is wearing one when out and about transmission rates will fall. As the various reports into the SARS outbreak found, masks are strongly protective, so let's put the "HSE we don't have enough for staff, but they're useless" mantra where it belongs, in the past. The HSE are getting 200 million euros worth of PPE gear, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

If you have a mask already please wear it or donate it. 50% of people who have this thing are completely asymptomatic (data from iceland) and yet they can spread it (data from a small town in italy where scientists were able to test everyone and monitor new cases).

The idea that there are masks sitting on shelves when they are guaranteed to prevent at least some infections, is very sad. One more time: unless you are are exposed to a ****load of this, masks are not to stop you getting it, they are to stop you giving it. So continue to be incredibly cautious while wearing a mask, because the mask isn't going to stop you getting it (though it does make a difference to heatlhcare workers and carers, maybe because of this hypothesis that most people are ok if they only get a small dose of it but people of all ages can be killed if they get a big dose of it, a lot of the little microscopic pricks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Masks = Reduce the risk of you giving it to others
    Respirators = Reduce the risk of you getting it

One more time: unless you are are exposed to a ****load of this, masks are not to stop you getting it, they are to stop you giving it. So continue to be incredibly cautious while wearing a mask, because the mask isn't going to stop you getting it (though it does make a difference to heatlhcare workers and carers, maybe because of this hypothesis that most people are ok if they only get a small dose of it but people of all ages can be killed if they get a big dose of it, a lot of the little microscopic pricks)
    One more time indeed: that's pretty much mostly nonsense and makes little sense at all. I mean think for a moment. If it stops you transmitting it by stopping virus laden aerosols passing from the inside out, how do the same virus laden aerosols magically pass through from the outside in? And then more of this magic occurs with healthcare workers?

Look, please read this actual y'know actual scientific study into SARS and transmission risks. SARS and Covid-19 are very similar coronoviruses.

The salient part is this: The use of masks was strongly protective. Our finding that mask use lowered the risk for disease supports the community’s use of this strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

How long do you think you can use an N95 respirator before it stops filtering/being effective ?

Ive read things from half an hour to a week but say if I only wear it to pop into a supermarket for 20 minutes once a week and then leave it sit until next week then I reckon it should be good for weeks , even if the carbon filter thingy is done it will still be a barrier in front of my nose and mouth and a disincentive to touch my face.

How long do you think you can use an N95 respirator before it stops filtering/being effective ?
    It's a particulate filter, so it stops working when it clogs up. In dusty conditions that will be an issue, but not in everyday non dusty conditions. Activated charcoal filters do "go off" quickly enough as the charcoal becomes saturated with whatever chemicals are present in the air, but they're not what's doing the main filtering of viruses and aerosols containing them.

*Personal opinion* I'd reckon even the basic paper "disposable" filters/masks can be used for much longer when being used for twenty minute runs to the shops a couple of times a week. The half face ones with replaceable HEPA filters could last for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Boggles wrote: »
    Condition = Used.

You're grand.

Is it even cheaper if it's been used by a Corona patient? :pac:

Interesting the way the question was answered regarding masks in tonight's briefing. They have a benefit to prevent spread and are useful for health workers in relation to aerosol spread of cv19 to paraphrase.

They fudged the last bit as they didnt want to say they have protective elements

I think the only way we as a people can get this message out is on social media and the like. The more people promote them the more will wear them. It worked well in the Czech Republic, but then again they had leadership in the matter. We're getting half truths and BS from the HSE. Understandable a month ago, damn near irresponsible today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Boggles wrote: »
    Condition = Used.

You're grand.

I wondered too until I read the explanation that it meant a packet that had been opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Wibbs wrote: »
    I think the only way we as a people can get this message out is on social media and the like. The more people promote them the more will wear them. It worked well in the Czech Republic, but then again they had leadership in the matter. We're getting half truths and BS from the HSE. Understandable a month ago, damn near irresponsible today.
    wear what? people dont have masks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The news in Singapore earlier had a segment and a very heated debate as to why us westerners are so anti masks and with months of preparation time we didn't equip the population. That would have had a very significant impact in reducing the deaths and infection rates in Europe and USA and had interesting experts stating viral overload (blah, blah didn't understand fully) from the virus are now proven to be reduced even with simple masks and reduces the serious disease numbers that are in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

new york times article on the CDC reconsidering advice on the wearing of masks based on a new understanding that up to 25% of people are asymptomatic and are spreading the infection. It's clear from the article the main concern for the CDC is supply of masks. We really should stop debating if they are effective or not it's a question now of who is most in need of them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

where what? people dont have masks
    You can get a pack of ten from Ireland on ebay for 12 quid. There are other sources too) , and we could start a grassroots drive to make homemade ones like they did in other countries.

You can get a pack of ten from Ireland on ebay for 12 quid. There are other sources too) , and we could start a grassroots drive to make homemade ones like they did in other countries.
    if that person has so many masks that should sell them at cost to the hospitals or nursing homes they need more then I do.

Jin's Industrial Limited was set up on Wednesday the 10th of April 2019 https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Jins-Industrial-Limited-647877

wear what? people dont have masks

THey can make them but tbh Id be rubbish at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

I and some in my family are making these masks.
    For future tweaking there may be non woven materials that can be inserted in lining, but for now 2 or 2 layers of cloth is better than nothing. Pipe cleaners can be used to tighten the fit at bridge of nose. Funny enough it is getting hard to find elastic band (a little) but old elastic from tracksuits, old shoe laces and even cut up lengths of old cotton tee shirts can be used to strap on.
    No special material is needed. I am using old curtain or anything tightly woven.
    It is not medical, of course not. But it is instinctive to cover the mouth and nose when a respiratory disease is about.

The HSE has brought in 200 million quids worth of PPE and other medical equipment. I think they'll have enough masks. This is the point. On top of the measures we're already taking, if the majority of us wore masks when we went outside this would reduce the spread of the disease, which in turn would put less pressure on the health service and medical staff in it. In the countries that got a handle on this thing more than most the vast majority insist on masks worn outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://twitter.com/nursekelsey/status/1244654675401547776?s=19

People are coming up with new ways so the elastic does not hurt like buttons on a headband. I have seen the ear elastics joined behind head with paper clip too. So no pressure on ears.

• Advertisement

The HSE has brought in 200 million quids worth of PPE and other medical equipment
    not yet

ps Jin's Industrial Limited was set up on Wednesday the 10th of April 2019 https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Jins-Industrial-Limited-647877

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement