Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Anybody buy any masks recently? Bought a box of 200 back in January for 50 quid just wondering if people are experiencing price gouging or not now.
    A couple of weeks ago, Sam McCauley Chemists were selling surgical masks for 2 quid each and claiming that they were selling them at cost price. Gouging or not? At around same time, I got 3 x FFP2V respirators for 9 quid in a hardware shop and they were not making any claims about selling them at cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes: other
    I gather with some pharmacists anyway the wholesalers were gouging them, and trying to flog off really low quality masks. Some pharmacies were definitely gouging though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yes: valved
    Watching much poorer countries around the world on the news today and they don't seem to be having problems with masks, and indeed supplying them for free to their citizens.
    Yet Ireland appears to be struggling to get them.
    Our government should be sending masks to each household in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Kivaro wrote: »
    Watching much poorer countries around the world on the news today and they don't seem to be having problems with masks, and indeed supplying them for free to their citizens.

Sending masks to every household in the country along with a lesson to use them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Kivaro wrote: »

Out of curiosity why do you think this is not happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wibbs wrote: »
    I gather with some pharmacists anyway the wholesalers were gouging them, and trying to flog off really low quality masks. Some pharmacies were definitely gouging though.

€13 for a single use mask at local pharmacist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Thieving bastards. No other description for them really. My local (Dublin suburb)pharmacy has or had them the last time I was in there a few days ago and they were looking 3 quid each and were apologising to customers about it(I didn't buy any, I have a few from way back before this outbreak). One of the women behind the counter did say she'd heard some Dublin city centre pharmacies were looking a tenner each for the same masks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Sardonicat wrote: »

!!!!
    And worse still one cannot even gasp at their impertinence for to do so is too dangerous. :(
    Backstards
    :)
    Earlier it was posted that hoover bag material makes a good liner for home made masks . Just reposting that because it is useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yes: surgical
    Probably going to buy two 3m masks on eBay - are they easy to clean?

fr336 wrote: »
    Probably going to buy two 3m masks on eBay - are they easy to clean?
    Are they ones like this F?

3m-6000-series-half-mask-paint-spray-pesticide-respirator-641.jpg

If so yea pretty straightforward to clean, but be aware, as usual a lot of the ones on ebay are fakes, from you guessed it, the country that keeps on giving; China. The fakes will take the real deal filters I believe so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I have afew different mask and yes I wear them so that I decrease my chances of contracting and transmitting COVID19.

We masked up at work pre lockdown as a duty to care.

Wearing a mask just like wearing gloves doesn't make one invincible to COVID19, doning and doffing procedures need to be understood and strictly adhered to.

Are they ones like this F?

3m-6000-series-half-mask-paint-spray-pesticide-respirator-641.jpg

If so yea pretty straightforward to clean, but be aware, as usual a lot of the ones on ebay are fakes, from you guessed it, the country that keeps on giving; China. The fakes will take the real deal filters I believe so..

Nah more this kind of thing https://m.ebay.ie/itm/313043771497

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

The WHO is now reviewing it's stance on the general public wearing face masks after studying Hong Kong

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/all-uk-hospital-staff-and-patients-should-wear-masks-says-doctors-group

Now look at this little beauty from the HSE, it's no wonder so many of our healthcare workers are getting it, I am so fcuking angry right now, they are obviously putting our healthcare workers at risk because they won't admit they have a shortage

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/no-evidence-to-support-wearing-of-surgical-masks-by-healthcare-workers-1.4216207?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The WHO is now reviewing it's stance on the general public wearing face masks after studying Hong Kong

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/all-uk-hospital-staff-and-patients-should-wear-masks-says-doctors-group

Now look at this little beauty from the HSE, it's no wonder so many of our healthcare workers are getting it, I am so fcuking angry right now, they are obviously putting our healthcare workers at risk because they won't admit they have a shortage

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/no-evidence-to-support-wearing-of-surgical-masks-by-healthcare-workers-1.4216207?mode=amp

That is downright irresponsible
    I am shocked and sickened they would come out with that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Absolutely. To think that the head of the WHO told the general public that we should not wear masks as it might distract us from washing our hands and taking other precautions is completely ridiculous. Anyone who is that easily distracted is not going to take care anyway. The vast majority of people do take it seriously and would still wash their hands if wearing a mask. It's the most common sense thing in the world to wear a mask right now apart from washing your hands and social distancing.

That's not what they mean by distracted.
    They really mean that people start to ignore the basic hand hygiene because they consciously or otherwise feel protected by the mask/gloves.

It's similar to people taking more risks when skateboarding with pads and a helmet on. Just compare NFL to rugby for another example.

fr336 wrote: »
    Nah more this kind of thing https://m.ebay.ie/itm/313043771497
    Ahn gotcha F. Just keep them dry and rotate them every other day kinda thing. Be grand I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

GreeBo wrote: »
    That's not what they mean by distracted.
    They really mean that people start to ignore the basic hand hygiene because they consciously or otherwise feel protected by the mask/gloves.

It's similar to people taking more risks when skateboarding with pads and a helmet on. Just compare NFL to rugby for another example.

Disagree. You may as well attempt to claim that people wont bother putting on their trousers because they consciously or otherwise feel they are already dressed by putting on a shirt / jumper...

The lenghts that some have gone to to ridicule / undermine mask wearing is truely beond all logic and reason.

With regards to the potential of infection of yourself and others

Hand washing is beneficial. Doing so properly is even more important.

Wearing a mask is also beneficial. Doing so properly is even more important.

It remains the two go hand in hand. Much like wearing both a pair of trousers and a shirt / jumper.

If there really are cretins out there who cant grasp this very basic concept. God help us.

Let's face it J, the WHO have proven themselves to be reactive, on the long finger, politically subservient, underfunded, wishy washy and ineffectual for the task required. I'd take their pronouncements with a large pinch of salt.
    Look J, the hospital staff actually helping patients are good, bloody good, better than most and acknowledged as so worldwide. However the majority of the "management" behind than and I use that term advisedly are not to put a fine point on it, some of the worst examples of Oirish Civil service ineffectual bureaucratic **** serving out their time. I've dealt with all of the above in the past, over an extended period, both personally and professionally. So this does not come as a great shock to me. Sad to say it.

Seanergy wrote: »
    I have afew different mask and yes I wear them so that I decrease my chances of contracting and transmitting COVID19.

We masked up at work pre lockdown as a duty to care.

Wearing a mask just like wearing gloves doesn't make one invincible to COVID19, doning and doffing procedures need to be understood and strictly adhered to.
    When I look at your pic S?

507904.png

I see two lads going: Covid-19? Hold my beer. #extendmiddlefinger :D

• Advertisement

Ahn gotcha F. Just keep them dry and rotate them every other day kinda thing. Be grand I reckon.

Thanks Wibbs, and thanks for all your posts you are one of the stand out posters in here it is much appreciated by me and I'm sure others! I really don't have the head to do much research at the moment (even in this emergency) so just went ahead and paid £25 for each of them. There may be better masks, I may be getting robbed, but hell I've spent £25 on worse before this. It'll give me some reassurance if nothing else - will be wearing them as soon as they come.

Ah jaysus F, thanks :o. Yeah it's a pain in the sit down area to pay more, but feck it, like you so rightfully say we've all spent that and more, sometimes way more on useless tat. *I look around me and consider mental health services might be required* :D

EDIT Oh and reassurance is strong medicine in of itself F. I've used it myself. Shit, the day when we find out how the power of placebo actually works, a load of illnesses will be given their marching orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

khalessi wrote: »

I was a HCA and got an email for temp 3 months position in my regional hospital as my CV was on file. Wasn't doing it as my and my mam who lives with me has asthma

It was bad they hadn't enough PPE for staff day 1 but after seeing that even if I was living alone and in perfect health they can fcuk right off. That shows they are more concerned about maintaining the HSE and governments image rather than staff and patients health

The first email said if you didn't respond they'd take it as you weren't interested, so I didn't reply, but yet I got a 2nd email today saying an interview was arranged and basically saying if I didn't interview for the temp position you wouldn't be allowed apply for a position in the hospital for 6 months. Now that struck me as very odd, almost a panicky blackmail attempt to get HCAs in.

I was talking to a nurse I know who's in ICU there and said while there is some it's nothing the hospital can't handle

I'm wondering if a lot of staff are packing it in not just due to covid but more because staff aren't being given adequate protection

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

gozunda wrote: »
    Disagree. You may as well attempt to claim that people wont bother putting on their trousers because they consciously or otherwise feel they are already dressed by putting on a shirt / jumper...

The lenghts that some have gone to to ridicule / undermine mask wearing is truely beond all logic and reason.

With regards to the potential of infection of yourself and others

Hand washing is beneficial. Doing so properly is even more important.

Wearing a mask is also beneficial. Doing so properly is even more important.

It remains the two go hand in hand. Much like wearing both a pair of trousers and a shirt / jumper.

If there really are cretins out there who cant grasp this very basic concept. God help us.

We've always been aware that hand washing is beneficial though and yet I reckon everyone knows someone who washs their hands in spots, hell even the vast majority of people don't (or at least before this didn't) wash their hands correctly.. now maybe people will take it more seriously in the current crisis.. yeah I think most will but there's still plenty out there at the moment not adhering even to the basic distancing guidelines, not self isolating etc

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anything4883

khalessi wrote: »
    The more I read the HSE BS advice to their own health workers never mind the wider public the more irritated to the point of anger at the sheer bloody stupidity of some of the so called qualified individuals spouting it.

Sadly the WHO are to be largely ignored at this stage. They're utterly and dangerously out of their depth and unfit for purpose with a long list of fcuk ups from the very start of this crisis. They've been running around like headless chickens. When this finally dies down they need to be examined closely and completely overhauled and a new better agency must be put in place.

I mean just read this and sift through their official sounding bullshit and bullshit it clearly is.
    Even if the hypothesis that transmission from truly asymptomatic healthcare workers in the healthcare setting is significant is accepted, there is no evidence that the universal use of surgical masks is effective in reducing this beyond what is achieved by standard precautions (hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette and environmental cleaning) and minimising interpersonal interaction.”
    How does one practice "respiratory hygiene", breathe dettol? "Cough etiquette". How do you do that then you damned fools? Hold a tissue to your face when you cough? Or you know have a much less permeable "tissue" on your face all the bloody time when outside. These muppets have been saying you can cough into the crook of your elbow if you didn't have a tissue, but masks are useless? In short WHO, please FO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've no plan to use them. I'm only going out to get food these days. So, if I get it, I get it. No point worrying about it. I'm not in any of the risk groups so I'm not that worried about actually getting the disease. I sounds like for most people it's just painful for a week and then you're immune so you can stop worrying about.

I gather that the masks are really only useful to those who are in contact with people who have it. So I'll just leave the masks for the people who actually need them. If I was in a high risk group then I might like to have one for the placebo effect.

I've no plan to use them. I'm only going out to get food these days. So, if I get it, I get it. No point worrying about it. I'm not in any of the risk groups so I'm not that worried about actually getting the disease.
    And you're not concerned that you can pass it on to someone else, someone who is in a risk group? It's not all about you you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

People should be wearing masks in public or at the very least should cover they're mouth and nose with a scarf.

However the reality is that unless this becomes a government directive people wont do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And you're not concerned that you can pass it on to someone else, someone who is in a risk group? It's not all about you you know.

Oh it's not all about me? And here was me thinking you were all self isolating just for me.

Well, I'm going out about once a week or maybe twice in the last 10 days, for food. So no. I don't see picking it up as a big risk or passing it on big risk either TBH. I'll just leave the masks for the people who really need them. Are you masking up every time you leave the house?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement