Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Spits in Garda's face - What happened in the end?

• 30-03-2020 7:32am

Hi Folks,

Heard this on more than one national radio station yesterday morning:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-spat-garda-cork-coronavirus-21774248
    Gardai were called to a domestic incident in Deanrock Estate in Togher at around 2.30am when a 19-year-old man became aggressive with officers... One garda was spat at in the face before the culprit told them he Coronavirus.

"The man was arrested... and is due to appear before a special sitting of Anglesea Street District Court this morning Sunday 29th March, 2020 at 12.30p.m.

But I can't seem to find anywhere what happened to him when he got to court? I'm assuming the judge 'threw the book at him' to make an example out of him, but I can't find anything.

Anyone know if there's an update to be had anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

Hi Folks,

Heard this on more than one national radio station yesterday morning:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-spat-garda-cork-coronavirus-21774248

But I can't seem to find anywhere what happened to him when he got to court? I'm assuming the judge 'threw the book at him' to make an example out of him, but I can't find anything.

Anyone know if there's an update to be had anywhere?

Youd think so but his mammy drove him home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That was no man.
    It was a pond rat,and he was named on rte news last night.file forwarded to dpp, bail granted and covid test ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

A slap in the hand. Of course.

Ah.. Ireland's judiciary strikes again. :rolleyes:

Still.. hopefully something will come of this:
    Judge John King was told that gardaí were awaiting directions from the DPP in relation to possible more serious charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

More slaps on the hand expected for those scumbags going around coughing into people's faces, and those who may eventually break into supermarkets or your house for supplies if we reach the social unrest stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

they should be on mandatory 14 day lockdown, ankle tagged, not allowed leave their house for any reason...

they should be on mandatory 14 day lockdown, ankle tagged, not allowed leave their house for any reason...

Mandatory 14 days Mountjoy would be better.

You'd only have to lock up one or two and the rest would get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just by way of a comparison

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

On the RTE news last night they reported the the judge was surprised that the state did not object to the bail request, this is why it was granted.

The case will be in front of the court again on Wednesday.

This time, I don't think it was the judge's fault.

"The judge said, after hearing the allegation against Mr Olden, that he was "surprised" the State was consenting to bail."

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0329/1127093-cork-togher-arrest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Erm... It's not a case of monkey see monkey do for idiots, putting one or two in jail won't discourage others.

It might discourage middle and upper class people with more money than sense, but the lower/social class are not deterred by the threat of jail, for some of them life inside is better.

If you can take the time to go for a drive today around your town.... As a freelance photographer you are able to document the streets and scenes during this pandemic (while also trying to stay safe).... Anyway if you were to drive around you would notice that the usual street dealers are all still at their patches, the junkies are still there and the homeless are still there, they are not socially distancing themselves from each other or any member of the public that comes near them, they either don't care or don't know what's going on... And I doubt they don't know.

I was out yesterday in Dublin city centre and witnessed an elderly man clear his nose on the footpath, finger to one nostril and blow kind of clear your nose, I was fuming at the sight of it, totally irresponsible of him, not to mention just disgusting, he could easily have used a tissue and kept the mucus in that so the next person walking in that area might not get contaminated by his germs..... Especially as this advice has been given by the HSE multiple times a day for the past few weeks.

NTC wrote: »
    On the RTE news last night they reported the the judge was surprised that the state did not object to the bail request, this is why it was granted.

The case will be in front of the court again on Wednesday.

This time, I don't think it was the judge's fault.

"The judge said, after hearing the allegation against Mr Olden, that he was "surprised" the State was consenting to bail."

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0329/1127093-cork-togher-arrest/

Because the judge can say that now. Had the state objected to bail he would have still gotten it and thus, they didn't bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Read that a healthcare worker got spat on while walking down the steps at Connolly Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The scum haven’t gone away, you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

To be honest I think the gardai were between a rock and a hard place. Any other circumstances there is no way they would have consented to bail. Two gardai were taken off the street because of this prick because he said he has covid 19. Now being cautious as they are 100% right to do, remanding him means his in prison after saying he has the virus. That brings a lot of hassle with it for gardai and prison staff.

A test has been ordered along with the other conditions of his bail. When that test comes back negative (which is close to certain) he'll be remanded I suspect and by then hopefully the DPP will have considered the other charges that can be brought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fairness to the judge she said she was surprised the guards weren’t trying to block bail, sounds as if she might have need easily swayed on the matter.

He seems a total toerag giving the middle finger to reporters as he was getting in the car afterwards.

This is an example of a case where public flogging is worth implementing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why would this crime be any different to other crimes where plenty more than 1 or 2 people are locked up, yet the crime still happens... odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Ah.. Ireland's judiciary strikes again. :rolleyes:

Still.. hopefully something will come of this:

Not the judge's fault. Solicor applied for bail and guards did not object. Judge said he was surprised and sounded like he would have been quite happy to jail him straight off. I too would have wanted him locked up but I suppose all circumstances have to be taken into account.
    Best not to automatically blame judiciary... judge made somd strong comments here that will give a message to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭threeball

Baton to the head and told there's no room in hospital except the covid wards but seen as you have it it won't bother ya. Want to hop in and we'll drop you up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Not the judge's fault. Solicor applied for bail and guards did not object. Judge said he was surprised and sounded like he would have been quite happy to jail him straight off. I too would have wanted him locked up but I suppose all circumstances have to be taken into account.
    Best not to automatically blame judiciary... judge made somd strong comments here that will give a message to others.

yeah , funny people blaming the judges without reading the comments.

I gathered from what was said this fella has never been in trouble before and he isn't the normal scumbag type. He actually has a job.
    That said he should be punished if convicted.

But since nobody objected to bail , I fail to see the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

On Thursday in the UK police officers were spat at while making an arrest. On the Saturday he was up in front of a judge and was handed a year sentence after pleading guilty.

We need to do that here no matter what age 15 or 50 fast track through the courts make an example and off to jail or young offenders for a year minimum and that’ll put an end to a lot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

There should be a coordinated approach to this.
    Other countries are charging them with terrorism offences.
    It's bio terrorism.

Advertisement