Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage break and Covid 19

• 30-03-2020 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

The banks are offering 3 month break on mortgage.

Two things I am worried about:

1. if I take the 3 month break, will be life assurance cover for the mortgage be affected in any way? (it's the only life cover I have, so don't want to mess it up).

2. if I take the 3 month break, can the bank say that I have not complied with my tracker mortgage and try and move me over to a variable rate later on?

thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1. if I take the 3 month break, will be life assurance cover for the mortgage be affected in any way? (it's the only life cover I have, so don't want to mess it up).

2. if I take the 3 month break, can the bank say that I have not complied with my tracker mortgage and try and move me over to a variable rate later on?

thank you

Life assurance is a separate issue. Term cover doesn't allow premium holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

thank you

2. You need to ask your bank this, make sure they give you an answer in writing. Personally I took a 3 month break during the last recession and it didn't affect my tracker - but I'd imagine every bank is different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

They could not remove your tracker for that reason.

You life assurance will need to be paid unless that company are bringing in breaks but I haven't heard anything about that. I presume it's being paid as a separate payment and not included in mortgage amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Life assurance is a separate issue. Term cover doesn't allow premium holidays.
    phormium wrote: »
    You life assurance will need to be paid unless that company are bringing in breaks but I haven't heard anything about that. I presume it's being paid as a separate payment and not included in mortgage amount.

I don't think the OP is looking for a holiday from the mortgage protection policy premiums, he just wants to know if the policy will be affected by his getting a holiday on the mortgage payments...

It won't be affected, as long as he continues to pay the monthly premium.

Advertisement