Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus: Chinese wet markets still operation despite COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The Chinese public are quick to boycott at any perceived slight on China. About time the civilised world started backing away from China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Captcha wrote: »
    I am slightly shocked by this - the Wet markets are opening again in China? I am lost for words...

Thousands of people have started to flood back into Chinese wet markets, with bats, rabbits and dogs still on offer despite the coronavirus outbreak.

A number of animals, including bats and the highly endangered pangolin, have been identified as possible culprits for the virus.

(Warning: Graphic)

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-chinese-wet-markets-still-operation-despite-covid19/news-story/104a81601ff7b94fec6dae3e158ad0a1?utm_source=News.com.au&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=SocialFlow&fbclid=IwAR048-2Ws-biAfJbh-bwFi9UQY01wsv2-T72tMsTxh4O1rHQhpcN7UWEAME&fbclid=IwAR3wCPjtMbBuOgYU0KUjoaBN0nuwcZOtGuZkMpgx__jIeoaqbchAwyonRCA&fbclid=IwAR1zRCZLGDn0OVXg-9ifcQIHVo4laOUU_18qEvt0nagqXpFf7D2pvdJss3U

Why are you shocked? It's China. They do what they want and don't give a ****e about anyone or anything else..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Of course they are. But I expect this to get locked, as God forbid anyone pretends that this virus wasn't some fluke or bit of bad luck, and not a direct result of China's selfishness and dishonesty. We're supposed to let them play the racism card and not admit that they have just caused a global pandemic and recession, all so they can eat their bats.

Meanwhile, those of us who have done nothing wrong and are massively struggling to cope are shamed for going out for a walk or to buy some milk. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bat soup must be godamn tasty if you're willing to eat it again after it gave you a virus that ravaged your city only weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You have got to be fcuking kidding me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

You have got to be fcuking kidding me.

Why are you surprised? They didn't learn from having caused SARS. Why would they change now?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I will have no problem paying more for goods when manufacturing and production is brought back to Europe

The 25% European Youth unemployment figure will also be eradicated at the same time

China should never have us by the balls again after this

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Why are you shocked? It's China. They do what they want and don't give a ****e about anyone or anything else..
    Why are you surprised? They didn't learn from having caused SARS. Why would they change now?
    By that logic we shouldn't breed pig anymore as this contributed to the swine flu and as for the risk associated with poultry and bird flu...... While bat might sound odd to someone in the western world, the idea of eating cow in some parts of India would seem complete madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They are basically catching up with the last 200 yrs of Western economies doing their form of industrial revolution and expansion like the British empire and similar. Web are asking them to repeat our mistakes, they are determined to do everything so they are treated the same on the world stage.

They are also a quasi dictatorship so anything goes. It controls free speech and the internet so hard to know what is going on, regardless of WHO being on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I will have no problem paying more for goods when manufacturing and production is brought back to Europe

The 25% European Youth unemployment figure will also be eradicated at the same time

we say that, and i agree.

but look how resistant we are to having our standard of living lowered to tackle climate change.

moving a large amount of manufacturing back to Europe would involve less money in our pockets and a lot of us working on production lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

we say that, and i agree.

but look how resistant we are to having our standard of living lowered to tackle climate change.

moving a large amount of manufacturing back to Europe would involve less money in our pockets and a lot of us working on production lines.

No reason for dole lifers then, can make widgets instead

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Countries impose sanctions against one another for the likes of nuclear and chemical weapons....

I'm not 100% if it was a wet market that started the pandemic but there is a high probability it was and they are grossly immoral anyways.

I think countries should insist the these are shutdown and if not impose sanctions until they are.

Can anyone think of any reason they should remain Open? Shut them down in all the countries who allow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

As well as accepting lower wages for working on production lines, we'd also need to boycott the cheap meats in the supermarkets and buy local produce at a higher price.
    I'm all for this, but most people will just buy the cheapest produce they can find - and a lot of the time that's because it's all they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Defo need international sanctions now. The hygiene in these places is barbaric. If they want to sell and export then they need to adhere to certain standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Eh our PPE and Ventilators are coming from China they are the worlds factory you just gotta accept that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

These markets are a multi billion yuan industry and in what’s essentially a third world country they are not going away quickly. And that’s just the legal stuff, they hose a raft of illegal sales too that the middle class law makers love so they aren’t taking that away from themselves.
    In such a poor country something that generates so much money will be hard lost considering there is no SW to replace the incomes.

Adding to the problem is the fact that they lost essentially all their pig breeding stock earlier in the year so I’d say protein food supplies are a major concern. They were importing lots of meat until this pandemic but I’d say that has dropped off.

The west will be very slow to clash with China over these markets and it will be more a case of apply subtle pressure. America for example are in debt to the Chinese for so much that if the debts were called in rather than rolled over it would bankrupt America and likely trigger a recession across the whole western nations, since were facing a recession already compounding that isn’t something we want right now when the numbers drop and we see light at the end of the tunnel, government will look to building our economy, not taking a moral stance that compounds a deep deep recession.

Honestly our lifestyle is as much at fault for the spread, madness travel constantly and ruthless business has left us dependent on using third world poorly paid workers to make everything for us, everyone shops on price driving more and more manufacturing to China where workers are poorly paid and have no rights.

Look at the Irish who went to Cheltenham, the Italians who came here even with no game on. The tourists in Dublin even with no parade. The week the kids were sent home from school to start social distancing many of their parents were jammed cheek to jowl in pubs drinking their heads off that weekend.

We are as much responsible for this situation as the Chinese wet markets, but it’s always easy to blame them lot over there, even easier when their skin is a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Lurching wrote: »
    As well as accepting lower wages for working on production lines, we'd also need to boycott the cheap meats in the supermarkets and buy local produce at a higher price.
    I'm all for this, but most people will just buy the cheapest produce they can find - and a lot of the time that's because it's all they can afford.

Where would we get all the people to work on production lines? In the past 20 to 30 there has been a huge shift to work in health, social care, care support and professional child care. We do not have the people to go back to low cost manufacturing.

Lurching wrote: »

I bought diggers frozen chicken in supervalue and looked at the back, product of China. I was like OMG, why are we importing Chicken from China. Will never buy that brand again. I noticed a similar design in Aldi, Penny or something, cannot remember, looked at the back and sure enough, product of China. Couldnt believe it.

I bought I new house just before Xmas and recently found out the stones / cladding on the front was all shipped in from China.

We are our own worst enemy.

Chinese communist party matra has been to give the rope to the west and we will hang ourselves. We need to wake up before it is too late. Communists primary objectives is to control manufacturing - they are now doing this to the world and we empowered them.

cosanostra wrote: »
    Eh our PPE and Ventilators are coming from China they are the worlds factory you just gotta accept that

Faulty equipment.

Spain & Czech so far have defective test kits. Netherlands have recieved faulty masks. Its as if the CHinese want this illness to spread to make democracies look bad. Their economy was tanking before this so the economic damage of demand drying up might be a good deflection from their economy slowing so much as the CCP lose the non agreed with the people reason to rule - economy

mariaalice wrote: »
    Where would we get all the people to work on production lines? In the past 20 to 30 there has been a huge shift to work in health, social care, care support and professional child care. We do not have the people to go back to low cost manufacturing.

Eastern Europe and other parts of Europe need a boost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

_Brian wrote: »
    Honestly our lifestyle is as much at fault for the spread, madness travel constantly and ruthless business has left us dependent on using third world poorly paid workers to make everything for us, everyone shops on price driving more and more manufacturing to China where workers are poorly paid and have no rights.
    +1. China wouldn't be the industrial giant it is without the increasing madness of western consumerism. We've become obese with "stuff" and crave the hit of more "stuff" and that's mostly made in China, or as you note other third world places where wages are measured in bowls of rice. Where often the Chinese have outsourced as their costs go up and their demographics shift.

The west needs to go on a consumerist diet. How many bloody phones do we need to buy? Ask the average westerner how many phones they've bought in the last ten years? How much other tat that gets thrown out or gathers dust? If we halved our consumption of same and brought more manufacturing back to Europe China would be forced to cop on and we'd be the better for it financially and mentally.

I practice what I preach as much as I can. I've long avoided buying stuff from China because of well, them being a totalitarian state with a long list of human(and animal) rights abuses. If I could buy a non Chinese made phone or laptop I would(both I use are five years old).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

We seriously need a worldwide movement to make China a pariah state. A lot of their practices and customs are frankly outragous and disgusting. The CCP need to be held accountable by the rest of the planet for their actions.

_Brian wrote: »
    These markets are a multi billion yuan industry and in what’s essentially a third world country they are not going away quickly. And that’s just the legal stuff, they hose a raft of illegal sales too that the middle class law makers love so they aren’t taking that away from themselves.
    In such a poor country something that generates so much money will be hard lost considering there is no SW to replace the incomes.

Adding to the problem is the fact that they lost essentially all their pig breeding stock earlier in the year so I’d say protein food supplies are a major concern. They were importing lots of meat until this pandemic but I’d say that has dropped off.

The west will be very slow to clash with China over these markets and it will be more a case of apply subtle pressure. America for example are in debt to the Chinese for so much that if the debts were called in rather than rolled over it would bankrupt America and likely trigger a recession across the whole western nations, since were facing a recession already compounding that isn’t something we want right now when the numbers drop and we see light at the end of the tunnel, government will look to building our economy, not taking a moral stance that compounds a deep deep recession.

Look at the Irish who went to Cheltenham, the Italians who came here even with no game on. The tourists in Dublin even with no parade. The week the kids were sent home from school to start social distancing many of their parents were jammed cheek to jowl in pubs drinking their heads off that weekend.

We are as much responsible for this situation as the Chinese wet markets, but it’s always easy to blame them lot over there, even easier when their skin is a different colour.

Absolute tripe. Go away and take your race card with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Well people we can all make decisions in our personnel lives to pay China back for all this.

To start with we should make a world wide decision to boycott certain outright Chinese goods.

I would love to see a lot of people in the world to pick a famous Chinese product (Huawei would be my choice for this) and just totally boycottt it from now on and make them suffer. Drive this business back into only being able to sell in China and showing their government that we do have ways to say 'thank you' for this blight on humanity.

Our governments cannot do things like this, but we as individuals can.

And for the people who will say China did not cause this, they continued to allow these disgusting wet markets to continue years after they were warned about their dangers (after they had already caused an outbreak previously) and they alos tried to hide this outbreak which in reality has caused this to sped all over the world. The Chinese government are hugely at fault for this outbreak.

BanditLuke wrote: »

Have to agree with you BanditLuke

CucaFace wrote: »
    Well people we can all make decisions in our personnel lives to pay China back for all this.

To start with we should make a world wide decision to boycott certain outright Chinese goods.

I would love to see a lot of people in the world to pick a famous Chinese product (Huawei would be my choice for this) and just totally boycottt it from now on and make them suffer. Drive this business back into only being able to sell in China and showing their government that we do have ways to say 'thank you' for this blight on humanity.

Our governments cannot do things like this, but we as individuals can.

And for the people who will say China did not cause this, they continued to allow these disgusting wet markets to continue years after they were warned about their dangers (after they had already caused an outbreak previously) and they alos tried to hide this outbreak which in reality has caused this to sped all over the world. The Chinese government are hugely at fault for this outbreak.

Absolutely, we empowered them by not noticing. We are too much in our own little bubbles in general. Hopefully this pandemic might get people to reflect on this and see the world as it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

and it's not just China - Thailand and Indo too - surely WHO should demand closure of all wet-markets immediatly, with severe fines for such practice - The chaos, panic and tragedy this has caused throughout the world - watch India unfold -

Not sure if it is WHO remit to to dictate such, but I believe they are driving the response to control virus, they seamed slow initially to warn the rest of world of possible danger of a panedemic back in February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm somewhere to the right of Mussolini and am most certainly a culturalist. I think western culture overall is best culture and the rest are either backward, or playing catch up. Even so he's right. We most definitely do bear some responsibility for this mess with our lifestyles and we western consumers most definitely bear a lot of responsibility for the China of today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Captcha wrote: »
    Have to agree with you BanditLuke

Sick of people playing the race card when you bring up genuine concerns about China. It has absolutely nothing to do with skin colour and everything to do with the CCP. It's a real eye opener the amount of people who spend most of their time rightfully bashing that fool Trump but are quick to call people racists etc..when they question Xi Jinping. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    and it's not just China - Thailand and Indo too - surely WHO should demand closure of all wet-markets immediatly, with severe fines for such practice - The chaos, panic and tragedy this has caused throughout the world - watch India unfold -

Not sure if it is WHO remit to to dictate such, but I believe they are driving the response to control virus, they seamed slow initially to warn the rest of world of possible danger of a panedemic back in February.
    +1 but the WHO are woefully underfunded and don't have the clout some seem to think. If you watch Hollywood's take on pandemics you have a load of coordinated and well funded experts and organisations that swoop in to save the day. The tragedy is and as we've seen that's quite simply untrue. This was what Bill Gates and others have been warning for a very long time.

Advertisement