Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus: Chinese wet markets still operation despite COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm somewhere to the right of Mussolini and am most certainly a culturalist. I think western culture overall is best culture and the rest are either backward, or playing catch up. Even so he's right. We most definitely do bear some responsibility for this mess with our lifestyles and we western consumers most definitely bear a lot of responsibility for the China of today.

Okay fair enough Wibbs we do have a degree of responsibility i will agree but i was more or less referring to the race card being played. Iv'e little or no time for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Absolute tripe. Go away and take your race card with you.

China has apologists and paid agents everywhere. A give away when someone brings race into the discussion like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's a real eye opener the amount of people who spend most of their time rightfully bashing that fool Trump but are quick to call people racists etc..when they question Xi Jinping. :rolleyes:
    There's much to that. Never mind that Chinese culture down to the marrow is insular and racist to a degree that would make many if not most westerners heads spin. And quite open about it. The average Chinese person hasn't got the memo on political correctness.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm somewhere to the right of Mussolini and am most certainly a culturalist. I think western culture overall is best culture and the rest are either backward, or playing catch up. Even so he's right. We most definitely do bear some responsibility for this mess with our lifestyles and we western consumers most definitely bear a lot of responsibility for the China of today.

What about the racism claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Videos like this show why Spain, Turkey, Netherlands, Czech, and Philippines etc. got faulty tests and other medical supplies from China.

https://tuckbot.tv/#/watch/frhx1l

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

We aren't going to force a change in Chinese culture. I'm not sure that even the all powerful CCP can control every market in the vastness of China if they wanted to.

What we need to change is our reliance on them. Never put all your eggs in one basket, especially when that basket is a totalitarian commie one with a penchant for lying and for sauteed bat testicles and octopus beak soup.

Frankly I'm disgusted with how they treat animals in general and even more disgusted that we in the west are spending millions to try and protect certain endangered species that are only endangered because of China.

Divesting from China also clips their wings and limits their growth. Not to mention that much of their growth relies on stealing western IP and reselling it cheaply.

You have to admire their success and chutzpah in a way and I'd be much more sanguine about it if they were a democracy with free press, but they aren't so let's cut the cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

These markets were closed after SARS, then re-opened about a year later but with "guidelines" that no one followed, on the other side of this look at both the organisers of Cheltenham and the people who went over to it, people have a habit of ignoring the rules when it suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Does anyone remember a campaign we had before buy Irish, the number of products from Ireland would have a little symbol beside them on the receipt? I think we need to go back to producing more here. We don’t need a lot of the cheap tat we get from China, but while it’s in the shops people will buy it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What about the racism claim?
    It's an easy claim to make and there can be something to it, but most of the time it's more about "the other" rather than actual racism. Certainly in the west. As I said in China they're much more open about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

thebaz wrote: »
    and it's not just China - Thailand and Indo too - surely WHO should demand closure of all wet-markets immediatly, with severe fines for such practice - The chaos, panic and tragedy this has caused throughout the world - watch India unfold -

Not sure if it is WHO remit to to dictate such, but I believe they are driving the response to control virus, they seamed slow initially to warn the rest of world of possible danger of a panedemic back in February.

WHO is useless & corrupt, taking lots of Money from CCP CHina and parroted CCP lies in January that there was no human to human transmission.

Taiwan had notified the WHO in December that this was transferring human to human but were ignored due to Chinas heavy boots on their necks.

CCP China knew about this likely as far back as October.

WHO on their twitter page stated they dont use the term pandemic any more. A few days later WHO declared pandemic.

If we didnt listen to CCP China and their puppets the WHO and just locked everything down from China back in November/December we wouldn't be in this mess.

Remember China saying USA etc were racists back in January for banning flights from China? Well look what CHina is doing now, blocking all foreigners coming into China.

Is it not racist for China to block foreigners but it is racist for USA and others to do so to China?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

There's much to that. Never mind that Chinese culture down to the marrow is insular and racist to a degree that would make many if not most westerners heads spin. And quite open about it. The average Chinese person hasn't got the memo on political correctness.

But arn't Governments throughout the world taking ther response from WHO ?

Lockdowns may work in wealthy Western and Asian countrys, but I really fear what is happening in India right now , 3 days into ther lockdown - poverty/hunger which will cause much more damage.
    Also really cant understand why WHO were so slow to respond to the danger early Feb, saying international travel was ok, when it clearly wasnt , a couple of weeks later we had the Italian flights still coming in here, when everyone knew it was bad, and a few weeks later no problem turning the world into lockdown -

thebaz wrote: »
    But arn't Governments throughout the world taking ther response from WHO ?

Lockdowns may work in wealthy Western and Asian countrys, but I really fear what is happening in India right now , 3 days into ther lockdown - poverty/hunger which will cause much more damage.
    Also really cant understand why WHO were so slow to respond to the danger early Feb, saying international travel was ok, when it clearly wasnt , a couple of weeks later we had the Italian flights still coming in here, when everyone knew it was bad, and a few weeks later no problem turning the world into lockdown -
    Like I said TB the WHO is woefully underfunded and has little enough actual clout, so governments might listen to them, or not as we've seen in a few places. Now set that against individual nations self interest, big business and the hard wired in human avoidance of panic and here we are. If they'd shouted PANDEMIC!!! in January, almost nobody would have listened to them. Even when it was clearly out of control a month ago, almost nobody listened and went about their routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

#BoycottChina

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Someone should tell Trump to drone strike them, he'd love the idea he just hasn't thought of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭VikingG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54

This was a good overview piece on how the wet markets were a source of this and other corona viruses.

Produced by Vox so not one of those sensationalist type producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

I will have no problem paying more for goods when manufacturing and production is brought back to Europe

The 25% European Youth unemployment figure will also be eradicated at the same time

China should never have us by the balls again after this

Couldn’t agree more with this comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

MadYaker wrote: »
    Someone should tell Trump to drone strike them, he'd love the idea he just hasn't thought of it yet.

Brilliant, let's just randomly start wars
    That will improve everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The rise of China is not simply about consumerism. its about a global economy and a lower manufacturing costs often though dubious means.

West is having to get medical equipment from China though special flights. Lots of non consumer items are all made in China now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

If they'd shouted PANDEMIC!!! in January, almost nobody would have listened to them. Even when it was clearly out of control a month ago, almost nobody listened and went about their routines.

If they had said ban non essential travel from certain hotspots - like Wuhan and North Italy - Government would most likely have done so -
    I really could not understand that 2 or 3 week period where we allowed flights continue from North Italy , no valid reason given, yet overnight they seam to be able to turn a counrty into lockdown quite easily .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

MadYaker wrote: »

Let's not give him ideas.

We need a financial drone strike so to speak. We can all play a small part but the result may have massive implications for the CCP.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    The rise of China is not simply about consumerism. its about a global economy and a lower manufacturing costs often though dubious means.

West is having to get medical equipment from China though special flights. Lots of non consumer items are all made in China now.

90% + of primary active ingredients in pharma drugs comes from China. This is dangerous and stupid. Puts all the power in the police state, communist, authoritarian regime who gives zero fcuks about human rights.. In fact, removes human organs from people who are alive and know whats going on while it is happening. Evidence is out there, I've seen the videos of this happening, wont be sharing them though, its absolutely vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Captcha wrote: »
    I bought diggers frozen chicken in supervalue and looked at the back, product of China. I was like OMG, why are we importing Chicken from China. Will never buy that brand again. I noticed a similar design in Aldi, Penny or something, cannot remember, looked at the back and sure enough, product of China. Couldnt believe it.

I bought I new house just before Xmas and recently found out the stones / cladding on the front was all shipped in from China.

We are our own worst enemy.

Chinese communist party matra has been to give the rope to the west and we will hang ourselves. We need to wake up before it is too late. Communists primary objectives is to control manufacturing - they are now doing this to the world and we empowered them.

I bought a woollen scarf in one of them Irish/Aran woollen shops. You would think it would be somewhat Irish. Nope. Made in china was on the tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

citysights wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a campaign we had before buy Irish, the number of products from Ireland would have a little symbol beside them on the receipt? I think we need to go back to producing more here. We don’t need a lot of the cheap tat we get from China, but while it’s in the shops people will buy it.

I totally agree with your point of we need to support our own, but one thing I must point out is from my own experience, it used to be "cheap Chinese tat" decades ago but those days are long gone.

The Chinese could always copy any product and produce it cheaper using inferior materials and cheap labour, they have long, long ago copped on that they can still make profit by copying any product using the same or even better materials.

They produce some of the best top quality products that we all yearn for, and they can sell them to us cheaper than we could hope for.

It all boils down to cheap labour costs, there are so many of them looking to make a wage to survive that some will literally work for the price of a bowl of rice and be happy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Why are you surprised? They didn't learn from having caused SARS. Why would they change now?

Ye? The countries that experienced SARS got this under control fairly quickly.. Those that never.. well we have yet to see the damage caused.

I watched a video that's from china. It's a group of Chinese people and they have a cows stomach and there they were ripping open the cows stomach and eating the skin/flesh of the cows stomach - raw not only that covered in fcuking cow sh1te.

I didn't want to share it in the main thread but fcuking hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

This thread has a lot of casual racism and general negativity concerning some parts of globalisation. But we take a lot of advantage from globalisation as well, maybe not in manufacturing, but other sectors would be doomed if we allowed other countries to take back their industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

owlbethere wrote: »
    I watched a video that's from china. It's a group of Chinese people and they have a cows stomach and there they were ripping open the cows stomach and eating the skin/flesh of the cows stomach - raw not only that covered in fcuking cow sh1te.

I didn't want to share it in the main thread but fcuking hell.

That is called tripe, a delicacy in Cork although in fairness they usually boil it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

That is called tripe, a delicacy in Cork although in fairness they usually boil it.

https://youtu.be/-AUYKqt6S8g

That's what I found. Eating raw cow stomach flesh that was covered in cow sh1te.

owlbethere wrote: »
    That is called tripe, a delicacy in Cork although in fairness they usually boil it.[/QUOTE

https://youtu.be/-AUYKqt6S8g

That's what I found. Eating raw cow stomach flesh that was covered in cow sh1te.

Barbaric

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/IsRC-dP2ijo

Another video eating raw cows stomach with sh1te.

Disease must be fcuking rampant out there in China

Advertisement