Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus: Chinese wet markets still operation despite COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah its a huge problem and its not helped by the main actor the US/Trump adopting a hands off and insular America First foreign policy. A Chinese diplomat recently gave a speech where they said the CCP love Trump because he is a deal maker who doesnt care less what the Chinese do within their own borders.

You only have to look at the recent Hong Kong protests for democracy. Over 2 million people hit the streets to protest the CCP and the west just sits back and says next to nothing. Here were brave people standing up to the worlds largest dictators and putting their lives on the line but instead of getting support from the west all they got out of so called democratic western leaders was fluffy language saying that they are "concerned" and "monitoring the situation" :rolleyes:

Hong Kong was a great opportunity to see if the CCP could have been destabilised by spreading the protests across the border and into the mainland. But the west stood back and said nothing. At the end of the day its in all our interests that there is a democratic revolution in China and opportunities like dont come along all that often.

One thing to add to this. Trump's America first policy is actually doing serious damage to the Chinese economy. I am sure Trump isn't acting altruistically and he is somehow trying to profit from it or at least his friends and supports are. I am genuinely of the belief that the way to overthrow the Chinese regime is to cut off the economy. It is the regimes only way to legitimize their rule and once the red prince and princesses of Beijing can't buy those homes in London and Vancouver the regime will crumple.

Trump's trade war with China is seriously killing them and their economy was already running into many of its own home made issues beforehand.

The west are an absolute joke for not throwing more support behind the protest movements in Hong Kong however it must be said China's propoganda is in overdrive trying to say the America and the CIA are behind the protests. So it might be wise to back away from them a bit and make sure the response is balanced.

On the other hand we should be supporting the protests. They are not over by the way. They will be back as soon as Covid-19 subsides. Immediately. There are still protests going on. The Hong Kong situation is just at the beginning. The Hong Kong government's handling of the outbreak has just further solidified support for the protests. The refused to close the border or lockdown the city for too long.

It is important to support democracy in China. The regime are bad for the whole world. China is such a huge country and is extremely damaging to the planet. Just their environment would give Greta Thunberg a conniption. I feel that in the West and to the average joe in Ireland and Europe and the rest China is a problem out of sight and out of mind. I think this is a mistake because while we ignore them they are subverting our economy and political systems. I think Australia and the US are now aware of this and taking the threat seriously but it took a long time.

I highly recommend the book "Silent Invasion" by Clive Hamilton to understand how China is controlling and manipulating it's citizens when they are studying abroad. It is frightening stuff and they make the Stasi look like amateurs. It details how China is interfering in Australian politics. It is a hugh problem for Australia because they have a huge Chinese population and also their economy is very linked with China even more so than many western countries.

Somebody mentioned Confucius institutes. They are also mentioned in the above book. They are simply there to monitor Chinese students who might stray from the party line when abroad. They should be shut down. They also round up students to counter protest anti CCP protests happening in the host country.

Chinese New Year is a different thing. Don't let the Chinese Communist party destroy Chinese culture for you. They have worked very hard to do so and try to implant the idea that the Communist Party is China and they are inseperable. Chinese New Year is celebrated in Hong Kong, Taiwan Singapore and many other Asian countries. It is important to distinguish between the Chinese people and teh Party. Most of my criticism is directed at the party. Lots of the people know no better. It annoys me when Chinese people live in the west for 30 years and still spout party support.

When you talk to the counter protestors who support the Chinese Communist party it is frightening how dense some of them really are. They really have no capacity for critical thinking. They don't see the irony for example in the fact they are counter protesting in the West where it is allowed. The right to protest doesn't exist in China. They are protesting against their own right to protest in their own country and don't see it.

I attended some of the Hong Kong rallies last year in Berlin. At one of the Hong Kong rallies last year the Hong Kong protesters were chanting "Free Hong Kong". This is going on and on and atmosphere is getting incredible. It is amazing the atmosphere a crowd can create with a few simple slogans and a drum. The counter protesters supporting the CCP began chanting "Free China". They were met with "Free China" as the response. So for a few minutes this was bizarre scenario where the Hong Kong Protests are shouting "Free China" and the pro Communist Party supporters are also shouting "Free China" and they just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Un1corn wrote: »
    Chinese New Year is a different thing. Don't let the Chinese Communist party destroy Chinese culture for you. They have worked very hard to do so and try to implant the idea that the Communist Party is China and they are inseperable. Chinese New Year is celebrated in Hong Kong, Taiwan Singapore and many other Asian countries. It is important to distinguish between the Chinese people and teh Party. Most of my criticism is directed at the party. Lots of the people know no better. It annoys me when Chinese people live in the west for 30 years and still spout party support.

* Lunar new year

* Lunar new year

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Could WHO not shut these markets down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Wet market was behind the virus? I don't believe. China has got much success either we accept or not. It's time to check working of our own governments instead of keep criticizing China. By the way, where was WHO when China was facing this? Why they didn't make other countries alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Wet market was behind the virus? I don't believe. China has got much success either we accept or not. It's time to check working of our own governments instead of keep criticizing China. By the way, where was WHO when China was facing this? Why they didn't make other countries alert?

Eh no this pandemic is China's fault. Now back to the CCP troll factory post haste.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Eh no this pandemic is China's fault. Now back to the CCP troll factory post haste.

I read his comment and thought he was 50 cent army. But his post history reveals its a legit poster. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

You are very likely from China based on your vocabulary

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Should be shut down. Those animals suffer horrific deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭leche solara

Every country in the world should send their bill for the costs incurred by this virus to China. Bankrupt them back to the dark ages where their practices come from. They are profiting from the sale of medical equipment, much of it defective, that wouldn't have been needed if China observed normal hygiene and animal welfare practice. If they had any sense of honour they would be giving this for free. Boycott Chinese products where we can. I'm doing my bit by closing down my Wish account!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think Australia and the US are now aware of this and taking the threat seriously but it took a long time.

Without doubt Australia know now to take them seriously - Australian secret services recently foiled a Chinese plot to infiltrate a spy into their parliament
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/25/asio-investigating-chinese-plot-to-plant-spy-in-australias-parliament-after-liberal-member-found-dead

As for their foreign students- without doubt they are tools of the CCP. If there is a counter demo to be organised its done from the embassy and the students head there to pick up the red flags and banners. We seen this in Dublin with Free Tibet protests the way a load of Chinese students show up with brand new Chinese flags

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/pro-china-student-allegedly-held-17047391
    Pro-China student allegedly held chain as group called Hong Kong protesters 'betrayers' during Trinity College demonstration

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-investigate-death-threats-against-hong-kong-demonstrators-1.3996990
    Garda investigate death threats against Hong Kong demonstrators - Student believed to be a Chinese national has made threats to kill the Dublin protesters

Even in Ireland anti-China will not be tolerated.

This is the reality faced by all activists protesting Communist Party transgressions. Any counter protesting carried out on behalf of the CCP should be met with deportation. It seems unjustly harsh and anti-free speech, however we should never tolerate intolerance. These people are protesting against the right to protest.

Indoctrination happens very early in China. Students are taught to treat the state as an extension of themselves. An insult against the party is to be taken personally. They go to extreme measures to train their children and students to combine Chinese identity with the Communist Party's identity.

My wife is from Taiwan and studied and at Peking University. Once there was an exchange class from Oxford University scheduled to visit. All the students were briefed on how to deal with the students. They were under instructions to ignore criticism of the government and to know that the English students just don't understand how China works and to ignore them. They were told they will be invited to go out and party but not to do this because it might corrupt their minds. This was in 2014.

This is the country we are currently propping up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Could WHO not shut these markets down?
    The WHO are woefully underfunded and have almost no power beyond shaming governments into action. It's sadly not a Hollywood script with a coordinated army of medical experts like the WHO or in Hollywood flics the CDC that can swoop in and stop an epidemic by the closing credits. As we've have seen and continue to see. Look at the WHO through this and the CDC dealing with the US government. Both were ignored or sidelined. Even the flic Contagion which was very well researched and pretty accurate compared to the vast majority still ran with this idea.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indoctrination happens very early in China. Students are taught to treat the state as an extension of themselves. An insult against the party is to be taken personally. They go to extreme measures to train their children and students to combine Chinese identity with the Communist Party's identity.
    Helped in no small part by the fact that China has been an insular, centralised, extremely bureaucratic, socially hierarchical empire, where confucian philosophy elevates as a virtue compliance to family, community and state for at least a 1000 years. The Communists didn't lick it off a stone. It was ripe for this kinda thing.

As an aside all that is one of the main reasons why China did so little with so much. It's fascinating subject. I mean this is a culture that had steel produced in blast furnaces in the first century AD, they had the compass, the ships rudder, paper, porcelain, printing, paper money, gunpowder and a host of other innovations centuries before Europe. Yet Europe gets wind of them and within a century in each case changes the course of world history.

Why? A few reasons but one of the biggest was Rome. The second best thing to hit Europe was Rome, the best thing to hit Europe was its fall. This left a geographical area that was connected, principally by the church, but decentralised and internally competitive, as many wanted to recreate "Rome" in some form. Competition drives innovation and since Rome was also very socially mobile as well this drove and exploited innovation whenever it showed up. I think it was Cicero who complained in one of his letters that the senate was now teeming with descendants of slaves. Something that would have very rarely happened in China.

It can be dumb luck too. China had porcelain so didn't give much attention to glass. Europe didn't and did. Glass gives you optics and extra chemistry.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Helped in no small part by the fact that China has been an insular, centralised, extremely bureaucratic, socially hierarchical empire, where confucian philosophy elevates as a virtue compliance to family, community and state for at least a 1000 years. The Communists didn't lick it off a stone. It was ripe for this kinda thing.

As an aside all that is one of the main reasons why China did so little with so much. It's fascinating subject. I mean this is a culture that had steel produced in blast furnaces in the first century AD, they had the compass, the ships rudder, paper, porcelain, printing, paper money, gunpowder and a host of other innovations centuries before Europe. Yet Europe gets wind of them and within a century in each case changes the course of world history.

Why? A few reasons but one of the biggest was Rome. The second best thing to hit Europe was Rome, the best thing to hit Europe was its fall. This left a geographical area that was connected, principally by the church, but decentralised and internally competitive, as many wanted to recreate "Rome" in some form. Competition drives innovation and since Rome was also very socially mobile as well this drove and exploited innovation whenever it showed up. I think it was Cicero who complained in one of his letters that the senate was now teeming with descendants of slaves. Something that would have very rarely happened in China.

It can be dumb luck too. China had porcelain so didn't give much attention to glass. Europe didn't and did. Glass gives you optics and extra chemistry.

Wow, interesting. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What is with China?

*Edit*
    Came across another video of a man throwing a dog into a boiling pot. Nothing fake about that video. Really shouldn't be looking at it. It's messed up :(

No compassion what so ever. Bad enough you want to eat a dog but you can't put it out of its misery before hand? Nah... That be too kind.

Animals.

Prime Time Investigates filmed greyhounds being dumped into boiling oil in China and traced them back to Irish greyhound breeders who had exported them there because they weren't running fast enough. The taxpayer funds the greyhound racing industry to the tune of 16m a year and they wouldnt exist without this subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

And something like half of the first forty cases had no direct contact either.

Plus while similar virus was found in animals from the market no exact match was. This is unlike the original SARS which was found in bats in the same form as entered humans. Not sure about mers though.

There may be an unknown missing link and many are pointing to a possible sinister plot either Chinese, Americans or Russians. More likely it was an illegal animal kept at the market or at home by a market trader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I'm not entirely sure we have moved away from the era of the yellow peril.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Prime Time Investigates filmed greyhounds being dumped into boiling oil in China and traced them back to Irish greyhound breeders who had exported them there because they weren't running fast enough. The taxpayer funds the greyhound racing industry to the tune of 16m a year and they wouldnt exist without this subsidy.

If I remember correctly there were a few people in that thread saying that the program was BS and greyhounds were just stock etc, who are now calling for China's head.

If you ever go to some of the small town fairs during the summer you'll sometimes see crates of chickens and other birds on top of each other and other animals such as piglets, all of which are for sale.

Pups were being sold illegally in the fair in Nobber last year by a crowd down from the north, not travelers before anyone assumes they were, my missus is a dog warden in another county and had to argue the law with a garda walking around before he told them to pack up and move on.

China leaving aside the human rights issues, is a fecking freak show in a lot of ways in terms of animals, but if they could some people here would do the exact same thing imho.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7kzae9/european-countries-are-throwing-out-rubbish-chinese-made-masks-and-coronavirus-tests

European Countries Are Throwing Out ‘Rubbish’ Chinese-Made Masks and Coronavirus Tests
    The Dutch government is discarding over a million masks that don't fit properly or have defective filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah I mean who would want to criticise the country that is trying to steal others territorial waters, that is buying up half of Africa, using political prisoners as organ donors or farm workers if they are lucky, that invaded Tibet 70 odd years ago and never fooking left, stealing the intellectual property of half the companies of the world.

EDIT:
    I actually think Trump is being quite clever, maybe more by accident than design, by linking this hugely with China.
    It is backing up his previous stance on taking on China.

The worse this plays out in terms of the death toll, the more instances of substandard PPE and test kits eminating out of China, the quicker they ramp back up production to try take advantage of it, the reopening of these wet markets as if nothing has happened, the more public opinion is going to turn against them in the West and the more of backlash against China.
    All it will take is for Chinese consortiums or Chinese nationals to start buying up distressed Western assets and companies for people in the West to start really seeing this as China trying screw us over and to take advantage.

As it is we already have the conspiracy theories gaining traction that this was all invented by the Chinese to screw us over.

I am not allowed discuss …

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8843dz/heres-how-china-is-rewriting-the-history-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-to-make-itself-the-hero

Here's How China Is Rewriting the History of the Coronavirus Pandemic to Make Itself the Hero
    The Chinese government has waged a months-long disinformation campaign to portray itself as the country that defeated the virus, when it attempted to hide it for months.

At midnight on Friday, China closed its borders to the rest of the world as it tries to stop a resurgence of the coronavirus.

The move was the culmination of a months-long PR and disinformation campaign waged by the Chinese government to rewrite the history of a pandemic that has spread to almost every corner of the planet, killed more than 34,000 people, and infected almost three-quarters of a million.

China initially ignored the outbreak that first surfaced in Wuhan in early December, silencing doctors who tried to raise the alarm before eventually enacting a draconian and restrictive lockdown that impacted 50 million people.

But the Communist Party of China (CCP) is now seeking to portray itself not as the country that allowed the coronavirus to spread unchecked for weeks but as the country that has defeated the virus and is now on hand to save the rest of the world.

To do this, the Chinese government has employed a unique mixture of tactics including disinformation, soft power, conspiracy theories, and even a book that tells the heroic story of China’s victory over coronavirus — all of which are designed to reframe the narrative around the virus and Beijing’s role in allowing it to get out of control in the first place.

“In the last few weeks, the CCP has stepped up its propaganda efforts to shape the narrative with respect to COVID-19, both within China and internationally,” Adam Ni, director of the Australia-based research organization the China Policy Centre, told VICE News.

“In essence, the party wants to make the best out of a terrible situation and spin the story in favor of the party by deflecting blame, sowing doubts on its culpability, whipping up nationalism, and highlighting the superiority of the Chinese party-state,”

Here’s China’s playbook:

Silence dissenting voices: The outbreak in Wuhan was first noticed by doctors working on the front lines. They tried to raise the alarm by sharing messages with friends on WeChat, messages that were shared on social media and went viral. But the police detained the doctors — some of whom subsequently died of coronavirus — and told them to stay quiet.

Block information: Once Hubei province had been put into lockdown, the Chinese government didn’t want any negative information getting out. To do this, it employed a range of tactics. One was making citizen journalists disappear after they began publishing videos from inside Wuhan exposing the sheer scale of the crisis. It also ramped up its censorship of social media platforms significantly, meaning even the slightest reference to coronavirus or the government’s response was erased.

Spin up state-run media: As stories of overwhelmed hospitals and mounting death tolls spread around the world, Beijing spun up its massive media operations into full battle mode, with both its Chinese-language and English-language outlets running positive stories about the heroic work being done to counter the outbreak. The campaign included posts on social media, news reports, and articles written by state media journalists but quietly published in other outlets. Beijing is also leveraging deep media ties across Africa to promote its own agenda.

Spread disinformation: Earlier this month, Hua Chunying a spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China, posted a video on Twitter that showed Italians on lockdown clapping in unison and shouting "Thank you, China" as appreciation for the aid Beijing sent to the country. The only problem is that the video was fake, and the applause was in fact for the heroic work being done by Italian medical workers.

Promote conspiracy theories: Earlier this month, Chinese foreign ministry deputy spokesperson Zhao Lijian suggested on Twitter that the coronavirus was manufactured in a U.S. military lab and brought to Wuhan by the U.S. Army who sent 300 service personnel to the World Military Games that took place in the city in October. The unfounded claim was then given more oxygen by official Chinese state media.

Write a book: China has already produced a book on the coronavirus pandemic. “A Battle Against Epidemic: China Combating COVID-19 in 2020” is a compilation of articles from Chinese state media that recount the heroic leadership of President Xi Jinping and the vital role the Communist Party played in combating the virus outbreak. The book is being translated into English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic, with more likely to follow.

Deploy a Twitter army: An investigation by ProPublica found a Twitter army directed by the Chinese government, consisting of fake and stolen accounts — that in the past was used to seed disinformation about the Hong Kong protests — have become “cheerleaders for the government, calling on citizens to unite in support of efforts to fight the epidemic and urging them to “dispel online rumors.”

Gin up more conspiracy theories: China’s state-run media last week suggested the virus may have originated in Italy, after Giuseppe Remuzzi, director of the Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research in Milan, told NPR that doctors there had noticed “very strange pneumonias” as early as November last year. Remuzzi clarified that all he meant was that it’s possible the virus had spread to Europe sooner than we thought, but the Chinese state media failed to mention those comments.

Start donating stuff: One of the key aspects of China’s efforts to change how the world views its role in the coronavirus outbreak is by sending donations of testing kits, masks and other essential supplies around the world. Leading this effort is Alibaba-founder Jack Ma, whose foundation has sent supplies to Iran, Europe, Africa, and even the U.S.

No conspiracy theory is too wild: China’s latest claims that a U.S. cyclist, who was part of the Military Games team, is coronavirus patient zero. It’s source for such a claim? A U.S. conspiracy theorist who is attempting to capitalize on the pandemic to boost his social media profile.

But, is it working?

“I would say it has been quite successful inside China. Due to censorship and the lack of independent news sources, many Chinese people have bought the theory that the virus was brought by the U.S. to China,” Yaqiu Wang, a China researcher at Human Rights Watch, told VICE News. “It has helped shift public anger towards the Chinese government for its initial cover-up to the convenient external enemy – the US government.”

And, at a time when frontline medics the world over are crying out for protective equipment, China’s donations will go a long way to bolster its image abroad.

“The soft power dividends that China has gained in Africa, and also Europe as well, over the past couple of weeks through both its governmental assistance and the massive donation of masks and other medical supplies by Jack Ma is absolutely enormous,” Eric Olander, managing editor of the nonpartisan China Africa Project, told VICE News.

But not all medical supplies from China are being welcomed. There is a growing number of countries rejecting tests and other supplies for being defective.

And while the conspiracy theories may play well with a home audience, outside of China, where people generally have access to much more information about what is going on, Beijing’s ludicrous theories ring hollow, and may in fact be further damaging the country’s reputation.

“I think the Chinese movement’s claim is backfiring, as many people see it as petty and irresponsible for the Chinese government to spread these conspiracy theories,” Wang said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

FVP3 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure we have moved away from the era of the yellow peril.

You're free to think the CCP regime is going to be a benign force in the 21st century and you're welcome to weak-knee'd invocations of Yellow Peril picked up from an undergraduate sociology class.

Past form and present posture however indicates China equals trouble for all of us going forward.

Not the Chinese people at large, but the folks running the show at the moment make Trump look like a choirboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yurt! wrote: »
    You're free to think the CCP regime is going to be a benign force in the 21st century and you're welcome to weak-knee'd invocations of Yellow Peril picked up from an undergraduate sociology class.

Past form and present posture however indicates China equals trouble for all of us going forward.

Not the Chinese people at large, but the folks running the show at the moment make Trump look like a choirboy.

But yet all we hear is wall to wall orange man bad coverage from the media (and he is a bad dose in fairness) whilst they completely ignore for the most part Xi Jinping and the harm he's done. This is why the media can't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Captcha wrote: »
    I am slightly shocked by this - the Wet markets are opening again in China? I am lost for words...

Thousands of people have started to flood back into Chinese wet markets, with bats, rabbits and dogs still on offer despite the coronavirus outbreak.

A number of animals, including bats and the highly endangered pangolin, have been identified as possible culprits for the virus.

(Warning: Graphic)

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-chinese-wet-markets-still-operation-despite-covid19/news-story/104a81601ff7b94fec6dae3e158ad0a1?utm_source=News.com.au&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=SocialFlow&fbclid=IwAR048-2Ws-biAfJbh-bwFi9UQY01wsv2-T72tMsTxh4O1rHQhpcN7UWEAME&fbclid=IwAR3wCPjtMbBuOgYU0KUjoaBN0nuwcZOtGuZkMpgx__jIeoaqbchAwyonRCA&fbclid=IwAR1zRCZLGDn0OVXg-9ifcQIHVo4laOUU_18qEvt0nagqXpFf7D2pvdJss3U

I haven't read the whole thread ...but playing devil's advocate here ... Has there been any proof that the wet markets are the cause of this pandemic ?

If not, I find it astounding that people take rumour and speculation about the whole thing as fact because they saw it online on Facebook or whatever....not to mention the outrage they say they experience ....I often wonder if they are still outraged after the source of the cause is something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭md23040

I haven't read the whole thread ...but playing devil's advocate here ... Has there been any proof that the wet markets are the cause of this pandemic ?

If not, I find it astounding that people take rumour and speculation about the whole thing as fact because they saw it online on Facebook or whatever....not to mention the outrage they say they experience ....I often wonder if they are still outraged after the source of the cause is something different.

Have you ever seen the state of these wet markets and the absolute horrific conditions for animals in confined non-sanitised spaces. According to WHO these were the cause of SARS and it’s cousin Corona. I suggest you do your own research and Google a bit rather than thinking people are forming ludicrous opinions based of Facebook etc.

Its an outrage these markets are continuing again when most of the world is in meltdown and hope many countries and corporations rethink their supply chains when the dust settles and give such countries a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

md23040 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen the state of these wet markets and the absolute horrific conditions for animals in confined non-sanitised spaces. According to WHO these were the cause of SARS and it’s cousin Corona. I suggest you do your own research and Google a bit rather than thinking people are forming ludicrous opinions based of Facebook etc.

Its an outrage these markets are continuing again when most of the world is in meltdown and hope many countries and corporations rethink their supply chains when the dust settles and give such countries a pass.

This was posted somewhere else here , Disgusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

The virus almost certainly started in the identified wet market. However such markets have existed all over the world for centuries. And viruses have come from farmed animals too, just like the swine flu pandemic of 2009 which killed ten times as many people as covid19 has to date. They can also originate anywhere, like the 1918 flu that killed in the millions which is believed to have started in North America.

Viruses occur naturally and always have. In fact intensive factory farming is believed by experts to be the biggest risk factor. The term "wet market" also doesn't have a strict meaning and many types of markets are called wet markets. And there's nothing specific about wet markets selling wild animals, any more than a super market or butchers might do.

Advertisement