Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus: Chinese wet markets still operation despite COVID-19

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Yurt! wrote: »
    China became an almost one-stop-shop integrated supply chain for many industries. We handed them the world's supply chain, chiefly because they had a pliant cheap workforce. Very difficult to move away from reliance on China for many companies although it could be done.

Samsung moved an awful lot of their manufacturing capability to Vietnam for instance, although they still have some critical functions in China.

Vietnam is still Asia. They arent going to get into a trade war with China and lose that manufacturing.

Here are the parts for the iPhone. With a handy map

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=391276eb829344289df9bce81e083fce

The plurality of the components, many of them sophisticated, are from Asia. 3 are from Europe. The 3 from Europe and the components from developed Asian nations ( Korea, and Japan) are manufactured in their respective countries.

However, of the nine that are putatively from the US most are manufactured outside the country. Only two (Invensense and Gorilla Glass) seems manufactured in the US , the rest are outsourced. I think Apple had to subsidise the Gorilla Glass factory to keep it going.

Accelerometer: Invensense in the United States.
    Audio Chipsets and Codec: Cirrus Logic in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
    Baseband processor: Qualcomm in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
    Camera: OmniVision in the United States produces the front-facing FaceTime camera chip but subcontracts TMSC (in Taiwan) for manufacturing.
    Controller Chips: PMC Sierra and Broadcom Corp in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
    Screen and Glass (for the display): Corning (Gorilla Glass) in the United States. GT Advanced Technologies produces the sapphire crystals in the screens.
    Semiconductors: Texas Instruments, Fairchild and Maxim Integrated in the United States.
    Touchscreen Controller: Broadcom in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).
    Transmitter and Amplification Modules: Skyworks and Qorvo in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).

Bit late for the US to bemoan China now, but then it is not a democracy but an oligarchy, and if the normal joe would prefer to have a well paid unionised job in a manufacturing plant, it doesnt matter if the corporates have the purse strings to buy elections.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Fcukin medieval. Beginning to think Trump is right about them.

By them you mean the 1.3 billion chinese people and not the CCP?

Still can't understand why we can't manufacturer products here. Automation has advanced a lot providing still relatively cheap products and still create well paid jobs. I reckon there's too many middle men selling the products back to the west from China. That's the big problem.

The big problem is sending all the manufacturing to Asia means they will eventually get the skills to make their own. Setting up a new LCD manufacturing company is hard enough but easier if you can hire people who have worked in these factories before. It would take years to garner this experience in the West.

The great fallacy of globalisation was that we were doing the hard stuff and they were doing the easy stuff.

Anyhoo here is a list of OLED and LCD manufacturers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flat_panel_display_manufacturers

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont think comparing media coverage of Trump v Xi is useful. For one Trump is a one man news making machine for the media, he Tweets up to 60 or 70 times a day and gives them enough content to fill websites and newspaper columns many times over. Xi on the other hand is a dictator, communicates his missives to State tv and doesnt do transparency and accountability to the media. Trump has press conferences while Xi has radio silence.

I agree there should be a lot more media focus on China but its not like Xi gives them much to work with, information is a tightly held secret for the CCP.

Thats probably the long and short of it. We all remember the iPhone and how when it launched just about everyone in the west had to have one, it was a revolutionary product and Apple shipped hundreds of millions of them. Assembly was outsourced to Foxconn who could put together a work force of over 100,000 people in a short space of time to manufacture them. They ruled them with an iron fist ( a fair few committed suicide due to being overworked) to ensure the massive demand for iPhones was met.

I doubt there are many other places in the world that could meet such a fervent and insatiable western demand for IPhones as China did back then. We wanted our iPhones and we wanted them yesterday and Foxconn sorted it out.

It isn't all to do with FoxConn.

FoxConn is in fact the one kind of manufacturer that the west could possibly replace, because it's just assembly of parts. Asia is also supplying the parts. That said a western workforce would less productive.

if you do do final assembly in the west it doesnt save much, most of the real work is still done in Asia.

However as I pointed out above there are US companies that outsource their own production to Asia. You could try and control that but I still dont think, were globalisation to collapse, that the US could build an iPhone, or Europe a smartphone. Asia could though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

EmptyTree wrote: »
    By that logic we shouldn't breed pig anymore as this contributed to the swine flu and as for the risk associated with poultry and bird flu...... While bat might sound odd to someone in the western world, the idea of eating cow in some parts of India would seem complete madness.

For f*ck sake, bats are known to carry these corona viruses. I’ve never heard about any of these viruses originating from a cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

FVP3 wrote: »
    That propaganda piece has been published numerous times. Ozzies are of course terrified of a rising China, so you can see why they would be hostile to it.

Propaganda :pac:

You will do anything to defend Xi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Australian politics has a thorn in its side.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

could Bats be made extinct after this? I mean they are obviously causing no good in the world/human race? they continue to be a major death threat to the human race with these viruses over the centuries and decades. how can they be got rid of or is that possible?

fin12 wrote: »
    For f*ck sake, bats are known to carry these corona viruses. I’ve never heard about any of these viruses originating from a cow.

But the bats are known to pass on such viruses to other animals such as pigs.

Consider Ebola for example:

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/about.html

"However, based on the nature of similar viruses, they believe the virus is animal-borne, with bats or nonhuman primates with bats or nonhuman primates (chimpanzees, apes, monkeys, etc.) being the most likely source. Infected animals carrying the virus can transmit it to other animals, like apes, monkeys, duikers and humans.

The virus spreads to people initially through direct contact with the blood, body fluids and tissues of animals."

Simply pointing fingers at bats isn't enough. There's far more to it than that. Especially, since they're all just theories.

"Ebola virus was first discovered in 1976 near the Ebola River in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo. Since then, the virus has been infecting people from time to time, leading to outbreaks in several African countries. Scientists do not know where Ebola virus comes from. "

44 years later, and it's still a theory.... Covid will likely be the same. A theory of it's origin but lacking definitive proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

could Bats be made extinct after this? I mean they are obviously causing no good in the world/human race? they continue to be a major death threat to the human race with these viruses over the centuries and decades. how can they be got rid of or is that possible?

Try not eating them or eating other weird animals and we will be ok. It's not like bats or pangolins or whatever are lying in wait to jump into your gob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Please god tell me you're joking? If not there aren't enough facepalm memes in the world to respond to a notion that stupid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No matter the wild origin of viruses, pigs and domestic birds are almost always the connecting species in the jump to humans. If I could I'd personally remove pig meat from the world menu, and I do like a bit of bacon on occasion, but maybe the Jews and Muslims and middle eastern cultures long before either of them got it right on this score. Maybe even possibly through local observation, maybe pig farmers got sicker more often? But if you removed pigs from the world diet viral jumps to humans would be significantly reduced.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here is one guy that thinks it's perfectly fine to open the markets again

By David Fickling
    China Is Reopening Its Wet Markets. That's Good
    Hold the outrage. Far from being cesspits of disease, they provide clean, fresh produce.

Here's one more issue to add to the bonfire of tensions with China brought on by the coronavirus pandemic. The country is reportedly reopening its wet markets, the fresh produce stalls associated with Covid-19's early spread in Wuhan.

It's understandable that countries now in the grip of the first wave of infection might be outraged. Many blame wet markets for starting the outbreak in the first place. Opening them again, at a moment when thousands are dying overseas, seems emblematic of Beijing's increasingly chauvinistic approach to world affairs.

It’s not bats fault, why should they be made extinct because humans can’t not eat them or invading their territory.

It seems the Chinese are the only ones who can’t leave them alone.

Wibbs wrote: »
    No matter the wild origin of viruses, pigs and domestic birds are almost always the connecting species in the jump to humans. If I could I'd personally remove pig meat from the world menu, and I do like a bit of bacon on occasion, but maybe the Jews and Muslims and middle eastern cultures long before either of them got it right on this score. Maybe even possibly through local observation, maybe pig farmers got sicker more often? But if you removed pigs from the world diet viral jumps to humans would be significantly reduced.

I eat very little pig meat as I saw a documentary before about pork and people getting parasites from undercooked pork meat, it was horrible.

It’s not bats fault, why should they be made extinct because humans can’t not eat them or invading their territory.

It seems the Chinese are the only ones who can’t leave them alone.

Except that bat is eaten in many African countries, and sometimes in S.America. It's not just "the Chinese". Or more accurately some Chinese people who eat such. I've never seen bat on any menu in China. If it's as common as you believe I'd have encountered it. Same with most of these exotic meats. They're rare. Dog is the most common, and it's mostly relegated to the extreme poor, and traditionalists.

Bats are reservoirs for carrying viruses. It's not the bats fault. It's simply nature.

I eat very little pig meat as I saw a documentary before about pork and people getting parasites from undercooked pork meat, it was horrible.

You can get parasites from any under cooked meat and fish not just pigs.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Please god tell me you're joking? If not there aren't enough facepalm memes in the world to respond to a notion that stupid.

I'm beginning to be ever more convinced that some posters on here are still being dressed by their mothers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I love how Trump calls it the Chinese virus, it is obvious he is being provocative but noone can tell him not to say it because it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I see the city of Shenzhen has responded positively to the disaster...hopefully their reaction will have a domino effect.

https://www.philippineslifestyle.com/shenzhen-city-in-china-bans-eating-of-cats-and-dogs-after-pandemic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

I love how Trump calls it the Chinese virus, it is obvious he is being provocative but noone can tell him not to say it because it is true.

It was provoked by China first on 12 March:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-ministry/china-government-spokesman-says-u-s-army-might-have-brought-virus-to-china-idUSKBN20Z2HJ

China government spokesman says U.S. army might have brought virus to China

Advertisement