Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken window - whose responsibility?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its the owners responsibility. Accident or not the Management Company are not liable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Something similar happened to a friend of mine very recently (a tenant). The tradesman that first came to shore up the damage told them the hard wood frame and door both had to be replaced and would cost around €2k plus labour.

Called a local joinery that cut out 200mm sections of the door frame and "window" frame and epoxy glued in new sections, fitted new hinges. Tenant repainted the frames €250 (cash) all in.

You would never know now there was ever any damage and according to the joiner the glue is stronger than the original wood.

Btw it was my mates fault, not the landlords not the management companies, and he paid.

Getting it repaired is an option you should try op, put up some pictures of the damage if you can.

whippet wrote: »
    This will all be in the lease that the OP would have signed when buying the property. But it would be very unusual that the Mgt wouldn't stipulate what the replacement needs to be.

Why would he have a lease if he bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You need another quote. , should be repairable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You typically get a long lease when you "buy an apartment" 99-999 years depending on the development. You don't own the building, your roof is your neighbours roof too etc, your floor may be someone else's ceiling. The management company owns the buildings and the purchaser is a member of the management company. I've never heard of a development where the MC would be responsible for looking after repairs or replacement of doors or windows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Caranica wrote: »
    I've never heard of a development where the MC would be responsible for looking after repairs or replacement of doors or windows.

I have.

Replaced an apartment front door after a burglary a few years ago only to have the management company replace it again a few days later. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Graham wrote: »
    I have.

Replaced an apartment front door after a burglary a few years ago only to have the management company replace it again a few days later. :mad:

Was that a door within an apartment block or an own door unit? If in a block maybe fire safety? Annoying and all as your situation was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

When you buy you are now a shareholder in the Management Company.

The lease agreement outlines the House rules, The Management Company rights and responsibilities, your rights and responsibilities as an owner and shareholder in the company, rules re election of Directors, percentage of the management charges which you are liable for etc.
    Unfortunately too many people in Ireland bought apartments without realising the legal status of what they are buying into. Then they get the bill for the management fee and object to paying it and develop a big "them versus us" attitude not realising that there is no " them"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Edgware wrote: »
    Unfortunately too many people in Ireland bought apartments without realising the legal status of what they are buying into. Then they get the bill for the management fee and object to paying it and develop a big "them versus us" attitude not realising that there is no " them"

I think that's generally the attitude of uneducated people everywhere.
    So used to things being handed to them, and lack critical think ability that they never consider where the money come from. They just expect lifts and bins to look after themselves.

Advertisement