Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should DIY stores and Builders Providers be open

• 30-03-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

As an avid DIYer I think they should be open because it will give people something to do while in lockdown. What do people think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

10 litres of magnolia and a new lampshade are not essential items. STAY AT HOME!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think cinemas should be open as I dont like DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ps200306

I've got a project that would involve a productive week pottering around the garden and give me something to do. I need two packs of grass seed. I know how to go to a DIY superstore with gloves on, keep a safe distance and disinfect everything when I get home. Seems a shame to me that I can't do it.

(Unless anyone knows somewhere that's open on the south side of Dublin?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

kenkin wrote: »
    As an avid DIYer I think they should be open because it will give people something to do while in lockdown. What do people think

Yes, I think they should be allowed open just to suit your particular needs. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with conditions.

I'm not an avid diy person but with people sitting at home looking at walls,I think diy to keep them active mentally and physically is better than the alternative. The alternative being arguing with and and increase in hitting your spouse and kids.

However clock and collect our even better, home delivery should be the primary method

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think cinemas should be open as I dont like DIY.

They aren't the same in fairness. Woodies in swords was operating with a drastically reduced staff and customer limit. About 20 in the place and spaced q system outside.

Now I got what I needed to get before the latest measures so I don't know now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Diy can do without. There are instances though where you might need supplies urgently. For example our back door lock broke yesterday and couldn't open or close door. Was going to just leave it for few weeks but phoned locksmith and he said for safety in case if fire etc doors have to be able to be opened. Luckily he had parts to fix as he said suppliers are closed.he had stocked his van last week. He worked away on his own and we had no contact at all. He wore surgical gloves and wiped down door when finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My OH works in a Builder's Providers.
    I am categorized in the vulnerable group, as are the partners of many of her colleagues and, indeed, members of staff.
    Find something else to do while in lockdown - why should people's lives be put at risk because you fancy doing a bit of DIY and didn't have the foresight to plan ahead?

That's what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I have to agree with conditions.
    The alternative being arguing with and and increase in hitting your spouse and kids.

I can't help but feel there are other more productive alternatives you could look into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I want to plant some seeds on all our south facing window sills but can't get the seeds now :(

• Advertisement

Eamon Ryan agrees with you ... you should be buying lettuce and radish seeds though.

ps200306 wrote: »
    I've got a project that would involve a productive week pottering around the garden and give me something to do. I need two packs of grass seed. I know how to go to a DIY superstore with gloves on, keep a safe distance and disinfect everything when I get home. Seems a shame to me that I can't do it.

(Unless anyone knows somewhere that's open on the south side of Dublin?)

And should you crash your car, then what? Now emergency services are dealing with you and your essential DIY purchases rather than what they should be dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I think the biggest issue with DIY's is that in A&E at any given time there will be a proportion of people who will have fallen of their ladder or had a number of other type accidents and require admission to hospitals. Same could be said of anyone who are taking risks with leisure activity, road accidents etc etc. I would not like to be admitted to hospital during this period for my own safety and risk of infection.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I can't help but feel there are other more productive alternatives you could look into.

I'm married a long time and have 3 kids. The only time she invites me to work up a sweat is clearing the shed

And should you crash your car, then what? Now emergency services are dealing with you and your essential DIY purchases rather than what they should be dealing with.

I have an image in my head of a man sitting in a&e with a trowel in the side of his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eildar

https://www.hardwareireland.ie

Are taking orders for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

For everyones sake that works there, they should be closed

It's like when you do a training course and there is always one gob****e the has to say "what if" .

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

the guards closed down a builder providers/hardware shop near me on Saturday

Frogeye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Eamon Ryan agrees with you ... you should be buying lettuce and radish seeds though.

you can buy that over the internet

try https://www.mrmiddleton.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Co-op’s,etc that farm supplies are open and these often have lots of D.I.Y some stuff.
    Also an electrical, homewards,garden,etc place is open near me because they stock cleaning supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The Co-op’s,etc that farm supplies are open and these often have lots of D.I.Y some stuff.
    Also an electrical, homewards,garden,etc place is open near me because they stock cleaning supplies.

my local one (not far from you ) will only sell certain things on a list like animal food, plumbing, fuel and similar stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work for a privately owned large hardware store / builders merchants and we continued last week on basis you rang in order , paid over phone then picked up at drop off point at front of shop /yard...

Sounds like a no brainer right......

Loads of people just turned up at door , then giving out " I only have cash.... I want to pick a colour paint and want to see it ,,, then hanging around people who were turning up to pick up supplies ...... then the builders were turning up for supplies with van load of workers and wanting to come in yard to pick they're own timber/ fittings.....

We had 3 or 4 arguments with customers who to put a better word for it were just dicks .... you do your best to put up barriers or a system for safety but people just dont think it applies to them .....

I feel really sorry for the supermarkets..... they deserve a huge pay rise...

Unfortunately because of the very few that just dont get it we closed this week....

And yes it's a pity .... even as a worker it makes me sad to close because it was a great system and an easy system.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My OH works in a Builder's Providers.
    I am categorized in the vulnerable group, as are the partners of many of her colleagues and, indeed, members of staff.
    Find something else to do while in lockdown - why should people's lives be put at risk because you fancy doing a bit of DIY and didn't have the foresight to plan ahead?

That's what I think.

What if he worked in an off licence?

They should be open but phone and pay for your items in advance and when you get there they are brought out on a pallet and off you go.

easypazz wrote: »
    What if he worked in an off licence?

She doesn't though. Neither does she work in healthcare, or transport, or communications. She is also not in the Defense Forces. Nor is she involved in the food supply chain. Actual essential services.
    She works in a builder's providers during a pandemic when most constructions sites are closed and people are wary of allowing tradesmen/women - or anyone else - inside their homes. But sure, open the hardware stores so DIYers don't get bored when they are safe in their homes locked away from the virus.

And if it was up to me off licences would be closed as well - alcohol can be bought in Supermarkets as it is - as can some DIY stuff.

I work for a privately owned large hardware store / builders merchants and we continued last week on basis you rang in order , paid over phone then picked up at drop off point at front of shop /yard...

Loads of people just turned up at door , then giving out " I only have cash.... I want to pick a colour paint and want to see it ,,, then hanging around people who were turning up to pick up supplies ...... then the builders were turning up for supplies with van load of workers and wanting to come in yard to pick they're own timber/ fittings.....

We had 3 or 4 arguments with customers who to put a better word for it were just dicks .... you do your best to put up barriers or a system for safety but people just dont think it applies to them .....

Unfortunately because of the very few that just dont get it we closed this week....

And yes it's a pity .... even as a worker it makes me sad to close because it was a great system and an easy system.....

OH said in her place similar system- Builders/plumbers etc with accounts to ring in their order, then either collect or delivery.
    Other people to queue with a 2 in the shop at a time rule but what happened was people were trying to bypass the queue by sneaking in through the yard/warehouse.
    At one point she had 8 people at her desk looking to buy bathroom suites when the shop rule was only 2 customers at a time in the store. Bathroom suites...

Today they went in to shut the place up for the duration/ get last deliveries out - and lo and behold a plumber decided that for him the shop was open. Came in through the ware house, picking up bits and pieces. :rolleyes:

It's like when you do a training course and there is always one gob****e the has to say "what if" .

Yeah because car crashes and breakdowns are SO unlikley.

Yeah some people are pure ignorant. Only solution is keep door locked and put up a sign saying please phone XXX XXXXX to pay for you order and arrange a collection point and time. 1 person in a vehicle only, no children.

One upside of all this is the clowns who have no common sense will find this a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd like to see garden nurseries open for a weekend under strict rule - ie book a slot so you have 15 minutes to get what you need and vamoose. They can shift what they've been propagating all through winter/early spring rather than go bust.

I'd like to see garden nurseries open for a weekend under strict rule - ie book a slot so you have 15 minutes to get what you need and vamoose. They can shift what they've been propagating all through winter/early spring rather than go bust.

I think they should be open every day, if its weekends only it will be busier.

Once places put in place strict and well managed rules there is no reason not to be open, even if its prepaid orders only so people can collect.

I think they should be open every day, if its weekends only it will be busier.

Once places put in place strict and well managed rules there is no reason not to be open, even if its prepaid orders only so people can collect.

What about all their staff and their families, and the increased number of people who will be on the roads travelling to these centres?

I really think people are either being thick or selfish.

Imagine there was a guy outside every house with a gun and you have a 60% chance of being shot and a 1% chance of being fatally shot.

Would you still be clambering to go outside?

What about all their staff and their families,[/QUOTE

Once proper procedures are put in place like phone in your order and pay in advance etc. then the risk diminishes

What about the business owner and their family, should they be forced into poverty to save some granny who couldn't be arsed cocooning?

What about people who work in shops, there doesn't seem to be much concern about them and their families?

Imagine there was a guy outside every house with a gun and you have a 60% chance of being shot and a 1% chance of being fatally shot.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The problem is idiots will bring the entire family along for a bonding session to buy a claw hammer.

Once proper procedures are put in place like phone in your order and pay in advance etc. then the risk diminishes
    Sure then why bother with a lock down? Its almost like some people cant be trusted to adhere to procedures...
    What about the business owner and their family, should they be forced into poverty to save some granny who couldn't be arsed cocooning?
    Yeah, because its only grannies who are dying from Covid-19.
    What about people who work in shops, there doesn't seem to be much concern about them and their families?
    Shops are open for essential items only.
    Seriously, educate yourself before you post more nonsense.
    What are you on about?

I'm on about the fact that some people seem oblivious to the dangers and are assuming that nothing will happen to them. go look at the photos from Italy where they have thousands of people on trolleys OUTSIDE the hospital and bodies in ice rinks.

Seriously, some of the posts on here are plain moronic and Trump level, head in the sand nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Maybe hardware stores could simply have their trade desk manned and only let customers in by invitation (phone first)

This would facilitate emergencies like electrical faults, plumbing faults, broken windows or roof maintenance

Sure then why bother with a lock down? Its almost like some people cant be trusted to adhere to procedures...
    Yeah, because its only grannies who are dying from Covid-19.

Shops are open for essential items only.
    Seriously, educate yourself before you post more nonsense.

I'm on about the fact that some people seem oblivious to the dangers and are assuming that nothing will happen to them. go look at the photos from Italy where they have thousands of people on trolleys OUTSIDE the hospital and bodies in ice rinks.

Seriously, some of the posts on here are plain moronic and Trump level, head in the sand nonsense.

Its not a lockdown.

Are you saying business owners should be decimated and driven to poverty through no fault of their own?

Shops are open for booze, not essential.

Why are you going on about Italy, are you saying 1% of the population will die?

The VAST majority of people who are dying are over 70, if they stay at home it will help a huge amount, however I am aware of a few of them who are happy to stroll around shops etc.

There needs to be balance here, and a hardware that has good procedures should be allowed stay in business.

Maybe hardware stores could simply have their trade desk manned and only let customers in by invitation (phone first)

This would facilitate emergencies like electrical faults, plumbing faults, broken windows or roof maintenance

This would work fine. But the NAZI's are screaming "FULL LOCKDOWN" and probably sit down to a few non essential beers in the evening.

Yeah it's amazing how you can buy alcohol but not something to fix a leak (unless it's in the middle isle at Aldi/Lidl)!

Emergencies are being facilitated - the home DIYer isn't.

Many hardware stores have an emergency contact.
    Colleague of OH's was in work today from 8:30 to 1pm sorting out stuff for plumbers etc.
    There is no need to have some 'manning' a desk all day just in case.

• Advertisement

eildar wrote: »

Woohoo! Grass seed ordered. :pac:

Be careful or the NAZI's will have it shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Be careful or the NAZI's will have it shut down.

I think you have things a bit upside down. The Nazis would have been fully in favour of business as usual and shuffle the grannies into mass graves.

This thoughtful documentary may help you locate yourself in this debate.

Its not a lockdown.
    Its not a lockdown because the government is relying on people to not be idiots and to do what they are asking you to do.

They tried various approaches to this and people continued to act like morons and so we are where we are now.

eildar wrote: »

Sweet! Ordered 2kg of grass seed at lunchtime yesterday. Postman left it on the door step at midday today. Nobody harmed in the making of this lawn (so far).

Right what's the story are the superstores allowed to trade in person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Right what's the story are the superstores allowed to trade in person?
    According to Woodies site they have been classified as essential retailers and will stay open.

Advertisement