Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to invest small amounts in stock market

• 30-03-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm interested to put a small amount of money in the stock market, e.g. 2k in Tesla. What's the best way of doing so? Should I go through Davy/Goodbody's?

Thanks for your advice,
    Con

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

e.g. 2k in Tesla.

Buying a bunch of one stock is not a good way to invest in the stock market, it's really just gambling. If you want to invest, you want to diversify. The best way to do that with a relatively small amount of money is to put it into a diverse mutual fund of some sort, with whatever asset class balance suits your risk tolerance.

Brokers like Degiro and Davy sell ETFs, which are exchange traded shares of mutual funds; those can be a good option if you have a smaller amount of money than the lump sum minimums for opening an investment account at a traditional investment firm. However, be sure to do your research on the tax treatment of ETFs, as there can be some caveats (e.g. deemed disposal).

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Many thanks dennyk.

I hear you on diversification. I'm interested to place a couple of relatively small bets and leave them there for a long time.

Advertisement