Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driveway

• 30-03-2020 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever laid a cobblelock driveway?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Doolittle51

My neighbours have a cobblelock driveway, so yes, there is definitely one person in the world who has laid a cobblelock driveway. Next question...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I once ate cobble in my driveway when I was locked....does that help at all?

;)

there are a billion tutorials on youtube, but unless you have all the bits already you arent going to be doing this anytime soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Just looking for some advice on neat way to level each section ie, hardcore base, then sand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Materials cost a lot and this is something you'll be looking at for decades. I'd not even consider doing it myself.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Cobblelock driveway is nice if its done right and properly maintained. Like practically everything else you could do it yourself as long as you are reasonably competent and have the right equipment for the job. Too often though you see uneven and badly sunken cobblelock or cobblelock ruined with lichen. This sort of thing looks horrendous in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I’ve been renting house for last 3 years. Last summer I power washed the cobblelock driveway. Although some water did pool in an uneven part, it turned out well & landlord was impressed.

However, now in the pool location, 4 bricks have sunk, it’s on a slope so it looks poor and is a bit dangerous. I’ve had a car sitting idle on top of slope since November so suspect it might be pushing bricks down.

Could the power washer have washed away the sand or car have shifted the bricks? I don’t want to pay for a new drive for landlord .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

That's why i never use just sand under cobblestones or paving slabs. Always best to use sand and cement or dry mix floor screed works good too. The extra water from the power washing has either moved the sand around underneath or has washed away altogether.

I don't if anyone is familiar with Clondalkin but they had cobblestoned the road in the early naughties going through the village, this happened there too. It was awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

muddle84 wrote: »
    That's why i never use just sand under cobblestones or paving slabs. Always best to use sand and cement or dry mix floor screed works good too. The extra water from the power washing has either moved the sand around underneath or has washed away altogether.

I don't if anyone is familiar with Clondalkin but they had cobblestoned the road in the early naughties going through the village, this happened there too. It was awful!

cobblestone doesnt work for any length of time under traffic, regardless of the sub surface or how good a job install.

Its sole purpose is pedestrian traffic or driveway. And even a driveway can be destroyed if a Skip Truck rocks up.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I’ve been renting house for last 3 years. Last summer I power washed the cobblelock driveway. Although some water did pool in an uneven part, it turned out well & landlord was impressed.

However, now in the pool location, 4 bricks have sunk, it’s on a slope so it looks poor and is a bit dangerous. I’ve had a car sitting idle on top of slope since November so suspect it might be pushing bricks down.

Could the power washer have washed away the sand or car have shifted the bricks? I don’t want to pay for a new drive for landlord .

Thats easily repaired but taking up the bricks and a few more around , levelling the base again and replacing the bricks.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Thats easily repaired but taking up the bricks and a few more around , levelling the base again and replacing the bricks.

I reckon he used sand, though it's hard to tell. I did remove the bricks, put some gravel under & set them again but it's not right. I'd say even if the power washer didnt do it, the rain did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would use the professionals, I bought a house with one, it was done wrong from day 1 and had a big section which would sink and create a big pool of water

I took it up 2-3 times and put down fresh sand but still kept going back....

It’s someone else’s problem now :-)

I reckon he used sand, though it's hard to tell. I did remove the bricks, put some gravel under & set them again but it's not right. I'd say even if the power washer didnt do it, the rain did.

Sand has to be used though, it is to sort out micro-adjustment leveling. you cant avoid the sand, but it also cant be too deep.

listermint wrote: »
    Sand has to be used though, it is to sort out micro-adjustment leveling. you cant avoid the sand, but it also cant be too deep.

Thanks listermint,

Is it atypical to use grout or is there similar product for cobblelock? He’s just left gaps which lets moisture get through easily.

Thanks listermint,

Is it atypical to use grout or is there similar product for cobblelock? He’s just left gaps which lets moisture get through easily.

You shouldn't see any gaps tbh the should be micrometers. Gaps would have sand brushed into them.

Advertisement