Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Path

Options
  • 30-03-2020 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

Hi All - Quick question - So I have dug out a path about 100mm deep, 50mm for hardcore and 50mm for pebbles.

My garden can get very wet down the end of the path so I have dug much deeper in this area and filled with rubble and hardcore.

My question is - do I need to compact the hardcore before adding the pebbles? My thought was if I do that I might make my drainage worse? But if I dont do it will I have stability issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi All - Quick question - So I have dug out a path about 100mm deep, 50mm for hardcore and 50mm for pebbles.

My garden can get very wet down the end of the path so I have dug much deeper in this area and filled with rubble and hardcore.

My question is - do I need to compact the hardcore before adding the pebbles? My thought was if I do that I might make my drainage worse? But if I dont do it will I have stability issues?

You have to compact it otherwise the decorative stone topping will get lost in the hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Cool - thanks - hope it doesnt make my drainage worse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have you checked out the pros and cons of pebbles/gravel etc. If it is a path for walking on (rather than just an area of garden to be tidy) you may find pebbles are not the best idea, they roll around and move as you walk on them. If you are likely to need to take a bike or a wheelbarrow or a buggy along the path you should get something that will bed in and make a firmer surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Cheer - it's just a footpath to the shed/brewery - I didn't want to go with concrete due to the drainage issues and as this is my first venture into garden DIY I didn't want to go with pavers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I used steppers and raised mine and over the years due to the garden being wet for about 7 months of the year. it's slightly sunk. Still ok but I raised it at the time. But it's a balance between that and causing an issue with the lawnmower.

A path won't sink as much as stones I assume.

• Advertisement
Advertisement