Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A trivial matter.

• 30-03-2020 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭

Is it Coronavirus or the Coronavirus?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's a coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It's a type of coronavirus, as were SARS and MERS if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It's a coronavirus.

Yep. The common cold is also caused by a coronavirus. Which is why any reference to the current epidemic should use the term SARS-CoV-2, or Covid-19 for short. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

There have been several coronaviruses. Coronaviruses were first discovered in the 1930s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭storker

NDWC wrote: »
    It's a type of coronavirus, as were SARS and MERS if I'm not mistaken

Type 2019.

• Advertisement

Or a/the Corona virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You would think with the near full time coverage on tv, radio, social media, forums, shop posters/displays etc etc that everyone should be able to spell the word ‘COVID’

I work in a public service job and am regarded as essential. Practically every single email and piece of correspondence we have received in the last 2 or 3 weeks is relating to Covid 19.

So far today I have counted 5 different spellings from various people within the organisation, ranking from entry level to upper management.

Covit
    Covitt
    Covet (May have been auto -corrected)
    Corvit
    Corvid

How anyone could spell it incorrectly is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Coronaviruses are a family of viruses with specific characteristics.

This virus is part of that Coronavirus family. This virus’ name is SARS-CoV2 and the disease it causes is COVID-19.

That’s it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Corvid is an actual word hence lots of autocorrect horrors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Should be called the CCP Virus, reflects more on what it actually is and how it came about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

L1011 wrote: »
    Corvid is an actual word hence lots of autocorrect horrors

You would think but all of them with the exception of Covet were in the title which doesn’t autocorrect on our outlook programme so they were spelt incorrectly

Should be called the CCP Virus, reflects more on what it actually is and how it came about

CCP? Compte Courant Postal - you mean it's all a conspiracy by my French bank? Or are you referring to the American Concealed Carry Permit?

How about we stick to calling it what it is - a coronavirus - and accept that this one is just yet a natural variation of a microbe that's been around in many forms for a lot longer than any of today's conspiracy theorists. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think we should just refer to it as 'that prick'

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yep. The common cold is also caused by a coronavirus. Which is why any reference to the current epidemic should use the term SARS-CoV-2, or Covid-19 for short. :cool:

Technically it's just SARS-CoV-2 - there is no short version. Covid-19 refers to the disease caused by the virus. /pedant.

Technically it's just SARS-CoV-2 - there is no short version. Covid-19 refers to the disease caused by the virus. /pedant.

Point taken. Perhaps the OP would like to confirm whether he wishes to refer to the virus or the disease it causes! :p

It really should be consistently referred to as SARS-CoV-2 to distinguish from other coronavirus outbreaks, which there could be more of in the future.

Advertisement