Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student accommodation in the crisis

• 30-03-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering now with 3rd level campuses shut and people all working on online platforms, have all the students left their college accommodation?
    Are landlords still looking for payment until the end of the academic year?

To thine own self be true

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Just wondering now with 3rd level campuses shut and people all working on online platforms, have all the students left their college accommodation?
    Are landlords still looking for payment until the end of the academic year?

I know trinity kicked out all their student tenants from their accommodations last month but I did wonder about the various privately owned student accommodations Around the city.

Doesn’t seem to have affected the ones near me but a great many were foreign students and went home off their own bat not having been instructed to.
    You’d wonder what it means for the academic year in terms of exams and the next term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

UL still has some students on campus accommodation I believe. A lack of clarity over if and when university will resume has caused some to stay, but as it becomes clear that there won't be any more lectures or traditional exams, more and more are going home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Would love to know about the private rented sector or the family digs.
    I'd say most Irish students have gone to their home place but curious if landlords are letting them away with rent owed?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭julyjane

one of my offspring has a room in privately owned student accommodation and came home around St Patrick's day but all her stuff is still there so the room is hers til the 31st of May. I paid for the whole year upfront including prepaid electricity so I might get some of that refunded and the deposit seeing as they won't be there to wreck the place. if the pubs open up before the end of May then maybe they'll make use of it for a few nights out on the town seeing as the grant money is piling up in the bank now and she has nothing to spend it on because she's here eating us out of house and home!

Advertisement