Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden shed build

• 30-03-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭

Thinking of building a wooden shed in the back corner of my garden, but using the two partition walls (block) in the corner as two of the four walls. The other two will be timber framed stud walls. The plan is a pent roof for simplicity.

The shed will be higher than the block walls, so it seems to me I have two options for this. Either build two more stud walls attached to the block wall (defeating the purpose of using the two block walls in the first place), or attaching timber to act as plates on top of the walls, and studying out the rest of the required height.

Couple of questions. If I'm wrapping the timber walls before cladding the outside, should I also attach the wrap to the block walls?

If not, what's the best way to prevent damp coming through the walls, as they are bare block

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These are shared walls. I'd check the legality of this before you do anything you are saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Thank you, I'm aware of the legalities around this. They won't be an issue. With regards to the issues of damp etc on a bare block wall, does anyone have any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

How about attaching thick insulated plasterboard with metal foil vapour barrier to the concrete walls. This would provide both thermal insulation and a damp proof barrier (metal foil). Dab it on or use plastic fasteners to preserve damp proof qualities.
    I think a simple plastic sheet would just move the damp problem from the wall to the inside of the plastic sheet due to condensation.

Advertisement