Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended courier

Options
  • 30-03-2020 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi guys .. what’s the cheapest courier within Ireland? All
    Coming in around €9, waiting on some other quotes .. thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

murphf wrote: »
    Hi guys .. what’s the cheapest courier within Ireland? All
    Coming in around €9, waiting on some other quotes .. thank you!

How long is a piece of string?

Is it a 500g envelope or a 30kg large box.

Is it one a day or 51 a day.

Are they business addresses or residential addresses

Are they urban or rural.

Volume and size are the most important parts

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

Darc19 wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

Is it a 500g envelope or a 30kg large box.

Is it one a day or 51 a day.

Are they business addresses or residential addresses

Are they urban or rural.

Volume and size are the most important parts

Ya .. sorry should have given more detail!

They are Packet size really. But a small box .. 310 x 220 x 100mm ,
    Weight less than 2 kilos.
    All over Ireland , probably 15-20 a
    Month to begin.

That's small volume.

An post will be best option and most reliable.

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/ACStandPL

25 labels for €203

I think that includes vat, so in reality it's 165 or about 6.60 per parcel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Darc19 wrote: »
    That's small volume.

An post will be best option and most reliable.

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/ACStandPL

25 labels for €203

I think that includes vat, so in reality it's 165 or about 6.60 per parcel

No VAT on postage as far as I know. Also, I think those are for “standard” ie non-tracked delivery, so probably not ideal.

OP, for your volume I think quotes around €9 are pretty good. I would go with one of the non-franchised companies if possible, like DHL rather than Fastway for example. In my experience they’ve been far more responsive and better at dealing with issues or losses - and some issues are inevitable, none of them are infallible.

Tracking available on all standard parcels within Ireland.

No vat on standard parcel up to 2kg. Seems like they are allowing 10kg though.

So looks like this is the best value.

If you get to 50+ a week, you'll get a rate about €5 or less. (+vat)

Big volumes and you'll be at €4

• Advertisement

Many thanks guys that’s all great info :)
    I’m not too worried about tracking, the contents aren’t hugely high volume so I think I’d risk it to begin.
    I think there’s vat on courier but not post, but either way I’m not going to be at the threshold for a while.
    Thanks for the info also about when the costs go down , that’s really useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Fastway go to €3.60 at volume. Despite other people having bad experiences I would give them 5/5...

tacofries wrote: »
    Fastway go to €3.60 at volume. Despite other people having bad experiences I would give them 5/5...

Good to know.. we used them about ten years ago on a previous business and they were a nightmare ..
    We’ve had regular deliveries though recently from them
    And couldn’t fault them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭garrettod

I would give them 0/5, due to several bad experiences with them.

Cheap is not always best and Fastway are definitely proof of this.

I think the crux of the problem with Fastway is their franchise model, there's no consistency of service and unfortunitely that's bad for the customer.

I know this means that a good courier running a franchise in one location gets unfair negative press, but they won't be delivering your goods in all of the other places that you want good delivered to.

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Fastway are a joke. There are loads of stories about them in Consumer Issues and currently feature in the ''worst company you have ever come across?' thread in AH. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058066353

Their problem is that the drivers are franchised, only getting a fixed fee for deliveries so they lose money if they don't do the delivery first time. Result is stuff thrown into gardens, recycling bins, the wrong address or just dumped.

I have had problems with all 4 deliveries to me, including one lost, in the last year and now avoid any outlet if I know they use them, except amazon due to no other options.

Avoid if you want to avoid chargebacks and other such hassles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

It's crazy because I've read all of the Fastway horror stories yet my damaged and lost parcel rate combined is close to 0.5%. Also their delivery time has been superb. When I first started using them they weren't as good but over the last 9 months they've upped their game for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

It's crazy because I've read all of the Fastway horror stories yet my damaged and lost parcel rate combined is close to 0.5%. Also their delivery time has been superb. When I first started using them they weren't as good but over the last 9 months they've upped their game for me at least.

I have to second that. I have been using Fastway for about 4 years, and they have improved over time. Never had a lost parcel, and only about three damaged. 90% of time they delivered overnight on the island of Ireland (incl. NI). I don't ship big volume though, and only to business premises, where there is normally someone to take the delivery, which definitely helps.

Advertisement