Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living through COVID-19

Options
  • 30-03-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

would you rather have lived and experienced this moment in time or look back on it in years to come and read about it in history books?

Live through it or read about it? 34 votes

Live through it
    94% 32 votes
    Read about it in history books
    5% 2 votes

Comments

I'll know with the benefit of hindsight.

I doubt anyone wants to live through a period worried their friends & family over 70 are at risk of contracting what to them is likely a deadly virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Obviously read about it. Worrying about my vunerable friends and family isn't exactly fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    would you rather have lived and experienced this moment in time or look back on it in years to come and read about it in history books?

Recorded history is never accurate, but I’d still rather read about it than this ****e. There are some truly inspiring people of course, but what will be more interesting is the global economic impact as opposed to affluent first world societies brought to their knees by biological reality.

Humans: “We’re amazing”
    Nature: “Hold my beer!”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

Well, I've lived through a war time (an actual war, yes) so this is really like a substantially subdued version of it, with the main similarity being featured in a type of siege mentality societal consciousness. (Speaking as a witness of the times, both times, rather than someone from the frontline.)

I'm probably not explaining it well, but I guess there's nothing like living through it to know what it's really like to, as they say, 'live in interesting times'.

Ps.
    Oh yeah, remember Chernobyl as well! That's another flashpoint to compare the general public consciousness against. As Ireland was but a glimmer in my eye in those days of childhood, I don't know how seriously it would have been taken here, but it was a rather scary time on the continent. Mainly as you couldn't trust a communist government to give you the facts straight. There was always some damn reason to take the public for fools and manipulate the facts. But I digress.

ETA: er, don't know how to answer the question, except to say I would rather have lived my life than not. I may be suffering from a lack of imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Your presuming we’re going to live through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

seenitall wrote: »
    Well, I've lived through a war time (an actual war, yes) so this is really like a substantially subdued version of it, with the main similarity being featured in a type of siege mentality societal consciousness. (Speaking as a witness of the times, both times, rather than someone from the frontline.)

I'm probably not explaining it well, but I guess there's nothing like living through it to know what it's really like to, as they say, 'live in interesting times'.

Ps.
    Oh yeah, remember Chernobyl as well! That's another flashpoint to compare the general public consciousness against. As Ireland was but a glimmer in my eye in those days of childhood, I don't know how seriously it would have been taken here, but it was a rather scary time on the continent. Mainly as you couldn't trust a communist government to give you the facts straight. There was always some damn reason to take the public for fools and manipulate the facts. But I digress.

ETA: er, don't know how to answer the question, except to say I would rather have lived my life than not. I may be suffering from a lack of imagination.

I think you explain it very well. Chernobyl was big enough here at the time alright, and caused many people to question what would happen if there were an accident at the Sellafield site across the pond.

The flashpoint I suppose I’m comparing the public consciousness against is the global spread of HIV and AIDS in the ‘90s. The siege mentality social consciousness effects were even more visible and more effective then at that time than current circumstances.

_Brian wrote: »
    Your presuming we’re going to live through it.

Why would anyone presume we won’t?

It’s a legitimate question seeing as humanity has survived much worse throughout history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Jesus some of you people need to get a grip. 200,000 died in the 2010 Haiti earthquake ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

Jesus some of you people need to get a grip. 200,000 died in the 2010 Haiti earthquake ffs.

Yes, earthquakes can be horrific :(

However, human condition dictates that our perspective on life is extremely subjective, if not irrational even. 50 people who die in Irish hospitals from COVID-19 will mean much more to people here, in terms of an impact on the national consciousness, than many thousands dying in a tsunami thousands of kilometres away. It's just human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would say read about

• Advertisement

My Dad wasn't there at the time so I wasn't fearing for his safety, I was of course empathetic towards those who suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've chatted to both my lads about it and although they are being restricted in their movements, they both feel its an important time in history

They have lost 2 grand parents in unpleasant ways so have been through a lot with that

The younger 16yr old is really interested in whats going on politically around the world and says there is a lot to learn from this
    He's a bit of a skeptic like me...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

something to tell the grandchildren at least...

Advertisement