Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Had a chat with AIB, they’re subtracting €3600 from your net wages for a joint application, less any loans or dependents. If you can afford the stress tested mortgage payment with what is left over, you will qualify for an exception to the 3.5x LTI... tough enough!

Thats 3600 a month ?
    Thats 900 a week
    Most couples would find it hard to meet those criteria for an exemption
    Would probably need a combined income of over 200k
    3600 a month would get you 900k over 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

brisan wrote: »
    Thats 3600 a month ?
    Thats 900 a week
    Most couples would find it hard to meet those criteria for an exemption
    Would probably need a combined income of over 200k
    3600 a month would get you 900k over 30 years

Yes a month - they’re accounting for €2050 living expenses for two and then adding €1550 on top, that’s how they came to the €3600.

I’m sure if you had a joint income of 120 or €130k you would be able to manage it with small car loans and no dependents, but yeah the girl on the phone did say it was very very hard to meet the criteria. It’s funny that to qualify for the exception you wouldn’t really need it anyways!!

Yes a month - they’re accounting for €2050 living expenses for two and then adding €1550 on top, that’s how they came to the €3600.

I’m sure if you had a joint income of 120 or €130k you would be able to manage it with small car loans and no dependents, but yeah you’re one on the phone did say it was very very hard to meet the criteria. It’s funny that to qualify for the exception you wouldn’t really need it anyways!!

Sorry I thought it was 3600 after all other costs were deducted
    No wonder it seemed excessive lol

I’m sure if you had a joint income of 120 or €130k you would be able to manage it with small car loans and no dependents, but yeah the girl on the phone did say it was very very hard to meet the criteria. It’s funny that to qualify for the exception you wouldn’t really need it anyways!!

I n that case 2good wages would cover it
    By good I mean 120-150 combined
    2050 living expenses is fairly generous for 2 people for a month
    500 a week

I n that case 2good wages would cover it
    By good I mean 120-150 combined
    2050 living expenses is fairly generous for 2 people for a month
    500 a week

Yeah two good wages would cover it, but I’m not sure what they would want to deduct for dependents or other commitments etc so I guess that’s a factor also for some. Again, the higher the monthly mortgage payment then the bigger the remainder needs to be so at least there are somewhat clear figures to meet for AIB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mairtmairt

Hi Guys do you know if its possible to get more then 3.5 times your salary if you manage to have more then 10% of deposit. Whats the criteria? No immediate plans as of yet but starting to save more aggressively (easier with lockdown). On average salary approx €40000.

mairtmairt wrote: »
    Hi Guys do you know if its possible to get more then 3.5 times your salary if you manage to have more then 10% of deposit. Whats the criteria? No immediate plans as of yet but starting to save more aggressively (easier with lockdown). On average salary approx €40000.

In theory yes its possible
    The anecdotal evidence is that exemptions to the salary cap are extremely rare
    See the post above ,Number 1741

When we spoke to AIB we did not mention savings and therefore I’m led to believe that what you have saved does not have much bearing on whether you qualify for an exception or not - I.e. that you are still expected to have the mortgage payment left over after the deducted “qualifier” amount, if that makes sense.

Best to have a chat with your own exact figures I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

No, however much you have as deposit does not affect an exemption.
    They do look for savings ability, but unless your salary is high enough they won’t give you one.
    Before COVID most banks were looking for a single applicant salary of 50.000 although I have heard them doing it for lower salaries.
    But it depends on the bank and the situation.
    And with COVID, who knows what their criteria will be next year

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Carter D

Hi quick question how far back can the bank ask for when applying for a mortgage is it just 6 months or can they ask for 3 or 4 years ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Carter D wrote: »
    Hi quick question how far back can the bank ask for when applying for a mortgage is it just 6 months or can they ask for 3 or 4 years ?

Think usually its 6 months of bank statements, 3 months of payslips and your credit report which goes back 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Markitron wrote: »
    Think usually its 6 months of bank statements, 3 months of payslips and your credit report which goes back 5 years.

EBS looked for 6 months payslips from us also.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Generally it is 6 months. Can vary. Your credit history covers more time, so they will know if you defaulted on something.

Renjit wrote: »
    Generally it is 6 months. Can vary. Your credit history covers more time, so they will know if you defaulted on something.

Thanks I just ordered my credit history so will have a look at what's on that .

What banks have most of yous got a mortgage from ?
    Where did you get the best rate ?

Has anyone got a mortgage from AIB have heard they are one of the worse

What banks have most of yous got a mortgage from ?
    Where did you get the best rate ?

Has anyone got a mortgage from AIB have heard they are one of the worse

We applied with EBS, AIB and ICS (my girlfriend works in the public sector).

Got full underwriting approval from EBS and ICS and we have decided to go with EBS due to their cashback offer and also didn't need the larger mortgage from ICS.

AIB are still looking for documents from us :pac:

We applied with EBS, AIB and ICS (my girlfriend works in the public sector).

Got full underwriting approval from EBS and ICS and we have decided to go with EBS due to their cashback offer and also didn't need the larger mortgage from ICS.

AIB are still looking for documents from us :pac:

What was AIB like rubbish? Why are they still looking for documents if have gone with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Meraf

What was AIB like rubbish? Why are they still looking for documents if have gone with someone else?

I'm with AIB and I found their process easy to follow. It took time for them to process all but if you have all your ducks in row process its easy.

I guess depends from your circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

You might be better off applying to the County Council if you can get higher than e.5. Apply for two banks for a higher amount and get two rejections. Theres a calculator on the site and its significantly more.

If your on under 50K or 75K fir a couple can apply. Its how most single people are couples on lower salaries are getting the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Doctorsamuel

I have got AIP from AIB the same day we applied and after less than 3 weeks we received a positive answer that the mortgage was approved. Now they just want to know if somehow our working conditions will change due to Covid but it's not our case. Fair play to them, we are very satisfied for the service. Thanks to all of you guys for the previous suggestions. I strongly believe this forum is really useful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

What do you mean by rubbish? If it's rates I think they're one of the best for example.

Have AIP from them, it's a slow process but fair from what I can see.

I have got AIP from AIB the same day we applied and after less than 3 weeks we received a positive answer that the mortgage was approved. Now they just want to know if somehow our working conditions will change due to Covid but it's not our case. Fair play to them, we are very satisfied for the service. Thanks to all of you guys for the previous suggestions. I strongly believe this forum is really useful!

A bit presumptuous of me but
    Are you a doctor ?
    Have you and your partner good salaries ?
    Have you a good deposit
    Are you looking for less than 80% LTV
    Are you looking for a mortgage of less than 3.5 times combined salaries
    All these things will affect the speed of your application
    Unfortunately not everyone is in the same position
    I have got full mortgage approval in the past (,years ago ) before I left the managers office

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Doctorsamuel

A bit presumptuous of me but
    Are you a doctor ?
    Have you and your partner good salaries ?
    Have you a good deposit
    Are you looking for less than 80% LTV
    Are you looking for a mortgage of less than 3.5 times combined salaries
    All these things will affect the speed of your application
    Unfortunately not everyone is in the same position
    I have got full mortgage approval in the past (,years ago ) before I left the managers office

Are you a doctor ? No, I wish
    Have you and your partner good salaries ? Average wages
    Have you a good deposit? No, HTB scheme
    Are you looking for less than 80% LTV? No
    Are you looking for a mortgage of less than 3.5 times combined salaries? No

Just to add:

- rent always paid in full
    - clear bank statements
    - no loans/overdrafts
    - no betting

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

6 months for current account but 1 year for my savings account
    That’s for PTSB

Hi so when you go for a mortgage do they only take into account your salary you and your partner are on by 3.5 times your incomes .

Myself and parnter will be building will be looking for around 300k mortgage
    Do they look at savings say I have 25k saved and parnter has 15k which gives us 40k which would be plenty for a deposit .

Hi so when you go for a mortgage do they only take into account your salary you and your partner are on by 3.5 times your incomes .

Myself and parnter will be building will be looking for around 300k mortgage
    Do they look at savings say I have 25k saved and parnter has 15k which gives us 40k which would be plenty for a deposit .

According to posters on here they will look for detailed costings and will make you allow for over runs on budget of about 10%
    So if the build is coming in at 340 they will expect you to have access to 374 approx between savings and mortgage
    A kitchen extension rarely comes in on budget never mind a new house
    Good luck with your house
    A broker will be able to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭EO2019

Anyone managed to get a LTV exemption lately. Second time buyers but bought pre recession and sold at break even. We currently have a 15% deposit. Both public sector decent wage no loans/overdraft/credit card.

Trying to decide whether to push ahead now and apply or wait approx 8 months til we have 20%.

Not rubbish by any means, just slow. The portal is handy to begin to process but when it goes to advisors it's tedious. Look for documents in dribs and drabs, where EBS looked for everything up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

EO2019 wrote: »
    Anyone managed to get a LTV exemption lately. Second time buyers but bought pre recession and sold at break even. We currently have a 15% deposit. Both public sector decent wage no loans/overdraft/credit card.

Trying to decide whether to push ahead now and apply or wait approx 8 months til we have 20%.

No harm in applying now and if they say no try again in January?

We got a LTV exemption as a second time buyer but that was in March. I'm not sure what the criteria is for one but I rang KBC at the time and was told no immediately over the phone, I asked why I didn't qualify for one and I was told they aren't sure but when they typed my details in the 'computer says no'! I got one through PTSB with the same details....

I know someone else who applied in August and was turned down for one from all banks though.

• Advertisement

According to posters on here they will look for detailed costings and will make you allow for over runs on budget of about 10%
    So if the build is coming in at 340 they will expect you to have access to 374 approx between savings and mortgage
    A kitchen extension rarely comes in on budget never mind a new house
    Good luck with your house
    A broker will be able to advise

Good thing about building is we can build within our budget we wouldn't be able to get a mortgage for a 500k house but we can build a 4 or 5 bed house then buying a new build and paying back a higher/longer mortgage.

Advertisement