Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

We'e been saving the last couple of years but since last year more in earnest. Have a god bit saved between us and have sizeable gifts from our parents so are more or less ready to go but still saving like crazy.

We've started talking to lenders to review our options and aim to get an AIP in the next few weeks.

We got engaged in December and have full hopes and intentions to get keys this year, but hope springs eternal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

It looks like the prices are on the up over the last few months so more savings might be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We have been saving for a few years and are ready to go. But there's nothing to buy! So saving more while we are waiting for something to come up. We had mortgage approval but it ran out so reapplied recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ownsbows

Renjit wrote: »
    Yes, scan the confirmation receipt and include it during your mortgage application.

Thanks and I'll do that. I was a bit worried it might look bad that we are down 5000 in our account.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

We have been saving for a while as well and luckily both in stable enough employment so thinking this year might be time to pull the trigger however there is nothing to buy / new builds are on hold too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Saving over 20,000 per year very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an existing thread for this - merging

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...A question that may have already been asked, but have gone back awhile and can't see it exactly... Has anyone here been refused a mortgage over having gambling transactions?... Sadly i have 12 in the previous 6 months- lockdown boredom... I can show that i can meet the repayments no problems... I pay 1k a month rent, €600 savings for the last months too... And its a joint mortgage so no fear of missing a payment etc...
    ...Due to meet with a broker shortly, but not sure if i'm wasting time and some money meeting him if i've fked up chances of getting approval... Wonder what peoples opinion is?... TIA...

...A question that may have already been asked, but have gone back awhile and can't see it exactly... Has anyone here been refused a mortgage over having gambling transactions?... Sadly i have 12 in the previous 6 months- lockdown boredom... I can show that i can meet the repayments no problems... I pay 1k a month rent, €600 savings for the last months too... And its a joint mortgage so no fear of missing a payment etc...
    ...Due to meet with a broker shortly, but not sure if i'm wasting time and some money meeting him if i've fked up chances of getting approval... Wonder what peoples opinion is?... TIA...

Depends on the amounts - if it looks like you're having trouble managing your money, or you're betting high-risk amounts, that's a red flag for the bank. Same if you have more than one gambling outgoing a day - it shows that you planned to spend, say €20 on a site, then lost, then threw in more money than planned. They need to know you're reliable.

Regular gambling of small amounts I don't think should be an issue. I play the lotto online every week and those outgoings would have been in my account when I got my mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

When applying to BoI do you need to provide 6 months statements for Credit Cards or any open loan accounts as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

Has anyone applied with the main banks recently? How long did it take for you to hear back?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Xoo2 wrote: »
    I have a question about the 20% deposit for non first time buyers if anyone could help.
    We have a 2 bed apartment valued last year at 350k with 150k outstanding on mortgage. Not the best purchase in hindsight with 2 children later, ran out of space very quickly so we're looking to upgrade to a 4-bed with budget around 500k.
    My question is, can we use the 200k equity towards the 20% deposit for our next purchase? Which is obviously dependent on our apartment selling, or would we need the 100k (20% of 500k) before our own place is sold? Thanks in advance.

No, you will face a problem here. At contract signing stage you will need to give your deposit to your solicitor so on your case it will be 100K. You may be able to request to pay less, maybe 50K but this is dependent on the seller accepting it. ( I did this in 2008 when I got a 95% mortgage)
    Either way you will have to hand over some cash at contract signing stage, most likely a minimum of 10%, and this will be weeks before the sale of your own property so you can’t rely on the equity for this.
    The only way you could use the equity is if you sell the property and rent while you look for a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Saving over 20,000 per year very easily.

If its very easily, you are not saving enough 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

ms vieria wrote: »
    When applying to BoI do you need to provide 6 months statements for Credit Cards or any open loan accounts as well?

I just got AIP from them, you need 3 months on the CC statement. I think it is 6 months on a loan statement, the statement I got had the entire 2 years of the loan so I can't remember how long it had to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

I have 100k saved up. I am expecting lose my job in the next few months, probably around April. I am on 150k a year.

I'd like to buy a house for 200k. Typically, just after getting the news that our job was rocky, I found the perfect place.

Is it possible for me to force things through before I lose my job? I am 100% sure I will be able to find another one quite quickly/comfortably - so no worries there. I'd just like to move to somewhere I own rather than waste another year renting.

My worry is that I will put down a deposit, my job goes out the door so mortgage approval is pulled, and I am left out of pocket.

PS, applying for approval now - I have everything in order except I need 3 years of P60/whatever its called now. On revenue.ie I can only get the past 2 years. What can I do?

I have 100k saved up. I am expecting lose my job in the next few months, probably around April. I am on 150k a year.

I'd like to buy a house for 200k. Typically, just after getting the news that our job was rocky, I found the perfect place.

Is it possible for me to force things through before I lose my job? I am 100% sure I will be able to find another one quite quickly/comfortably - so no worries there. I'd just like to move to somewhere I own rather than waste another year renting.

My worry is that I will put down a deposit, my job goes out the door so mortgage approval is pulled, and I am left out of pocket.

Ensure you have your solicitor include a “subject to finance” clause in your contract if you get to contract signing stage. That way if mortgage approval is pulled for any reason (loss of job, Covid payment, unable to get life cover) you will be entitled to pull out of the sale and get your deposit back.

shreko wrote: »
    Ensure you have your solicitor include a “subject to finance” clause in your contract if you get to contract signing stage. That way if mortgage approval is pulled for any reason (loss of job, Covid payment, unable to get life cover) you will be entitled to pull out of the sale and get your deposit back.

Brilliant, thank you. Is this a commonly done thing?

Brilliant, thank you. Is this a commonly done thing?

I think it’s becoming more common now with the Covid payments. So you could get approval, pay your deposit and then your company could avail of the Covid scheme and the bank won’t pay.
    We just drew down our mortgage this week and our solicitor had no issue including it in on the contracts (obviously the seller has to agree to the clause too) but gives you great peace of mind your money is safe.

For us (PTSB) we also had to sign a declaration prior to drawdown that our circumstances had not changed since applying so if you have been notified of losing your job after applying but haven’t lost it yet prior to drawdown you may come up against an issue when signing that declaration. Just a thought.
    Although i don’t know if other banks require the same

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

Hi all,

Hoping someone can provide some input on my situation from experience.

Looking to apply for a mortgage this year. I will be looking for a 70% mortgage at around 3x my income. I have been renting for years. I have zero debt and am comfortably saving a couple thousand a month on top of rent. On paper it should all be fine.

However, I had a credit card cancelled with a small unpaid balance back in 2011. There was some back and forth with the bank, with them saying the debt would be collected by a third party etc, but ultimately it was forgotten about ( my fault ) with no reminders from the bank / third party whatsoever.

I cleared the outstanding balance of €500 + interest in 2018 but it is obviously now showing on my CCR report. Is this likely to prevent me getting a mortgage?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

froggy1985 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can provide some input on my situation from experience.

Looking to apply for a mortgage this year. I will be looking for a 70% mortgage at around 3x my income. I have been renting for years. I have zero debt and am comfortably saving a couple thousand a month on top of rent. On paper it should all be fine.

However, I had a credit card cancelled with a small unpaid balance back in 2011. There was some back and forth with the bank, with them saying the debt would be collected by a third party etc, but ultimately it was forgotten about ( my fault ) with no reminders from the bank / third party whatsoever.

I cleared the outstanding balance of €500 + interest in 2018 but it is obviously now showing on my CCR report. Is this likely to prevent me getting a mortgage?

Thanks

Unfortunately it will. If it is only showing on your CCR and not your ICB, then you should be fine in the next few months to apply as they only keep records for 2 years.

It would probably be best to get a good Brooker to help you in a situation like this.

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it will. If it is only showing on your CCR and not your ICB, then you should be fine in the next few months to apply as they only keep records for 2 years.

It would probably be best to get a good Brooker to help you in a situation like this.

Thanks for that. The debt is not showing on ICB as 5 years passed between the card being cancelled and payment being made. It is only showing on the CCR, and the last record is from 2018 so it's over 2 years now. Are you sure banks can / will only look at 2 years CCR?

It's a real pain as the only reason I left it until 2018 to pay was because of advice I received in relation to ICB. Effectively I was told that if I paid the debt it would "reset the clock" on the 5 years so I held off and paid in full as soon as it dropped off ICB - I didn't know about CCR at the time!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Thanks for that. The debt is not showing on ICB as 5 years passed between the card being cancelled and payment being made. It is only showing on the CCR, and the last record is from 2018 so it's over 2 years now. Are you sure banks can / will only look at 2 years CCR?

It's a real pain as the only reason I left it until 2018 to pay was because of advice I received in relation to ICB. Effectively I was told that if I paid the debt it would "reset the clock" on the 5 years so I held off and paid in full as soon as it dropped off ICB - I didn't know about CCR at the time!

Thanks again

As DubLad said, your best bet is to get a broker as they can explain the situation to the lenders. I had a similar situation with a loan repayment I missed last year (also a stupid mistake on my part unrelated to my financial situation). I told the broker and they explained it to the banks, got AIP without issue.

Markitron wrote: »
    As DubLad said, your best bet is to get a broker as they can explain the situation to the lenders. I had a similar situation with a loan repayment I missed last year (also a stupid mistake on my part unrelated to my financial situation). I told the broker and they explained it to the banks, got AIP without issue.

Thanks and yes I intend on going through a broker in any case, just getting the ducks in a row in advance. Good to hear you got the approval. Here's hoping there is a common sense approach taken to my overall application and the broker can advise on how to broach the subject if needed. I have had another credit card account since all of this, paid in full every month etc..

I checked the CCR policy regarding the 2 years. It appears that Banks only have access to the last 2 years data for active loans, but for loans that have been closed off they have access to the last 2 years of records associated with that loan before closure. In my case even though the debt was sorted in 2018 it will still unfortunately appear on the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thanks and yes I intend on going through a broker in any case, just getting the ducks in a row in advance. Good to hear you got the approval. Here's hoping there is a common sense approach taken to my overall application and the broker can advise on how to broach the subject if needed. I have had another credit card account since all of this, paid in full every month etc..

I checked the CCR policy regarding the 2 years. It appears that Banks only have access to the last 2 years data for active loans, but for loans that have been closed off they have access to the last 2 years of records associated with that loan before closure. In my case even though the debt was sorted in 2018 it will still unfortunately appear on the record.
    The funny thing is, if you had not made the payment in 2018, it would not show on either database now. The only reason it appears on the CCR is that it is within the past 2-5 years (not sure what their threshold is, it was 5 for me). If the last activity was 2011 then it would have aged out by 2019.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The funny thing is, if you had not made the payment in 2018, it would not show on either database now. The only reason it appears on the CCR is that it is within the past 2-5 years (not sure what their threshold is, it was 5 for me). If the last activity was 2011 then it would have aged out by 2019.

Yeah and the debt was gone off of ICB, the bank weren't pursuing it whatsoever. But morally I just wanted to pay it. Had no idea it would come back to bite me! Typical :rolleyes:

Had a brief chat with a broker this afternoon, they suspect based on the circumstances and overall application details I should be fine. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

Can I add the deposit savings amount I have, to the mortgage quote from a bank?

If the bank offer a 250k mortgage and I have 30k savings, can I go for a property that is 280k?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Haraldkare wrote: »
    Can I add the deposit savings amount I have, to the mortgage quote from a bank?

If the bank offer a 250k mortgage and I have 30k savings, can I go for a property that is 280k?

Thanks.

Yes that's it. Once you have money left aside for solicitor, stamp duty etc and you aren't trying to borrow more than 90% of property price.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Has anybody had any experience getting an exemption with a missed loan payment on their credit history?

Got AIP this week with PTSB but broker told me they wouldn't give the exemption that we were going for as their policy is to require a squeaky clean credit history (which is honestly fair enough). Same for KBC.

Mostly just annoyed at myself as I was working abroad and getting paid into a foreign account, but loan was automatically coming out of an Irish acct every month, and didn't notice that my balance had fallen below the monthly loan payment amount - wasn't tight for money, it was just in the wrong account at the wrong time. This was explained by the broker to the lender, but policy is policy. I'm probably being overly optimistic but if anyone had luck, or experience, with a different lender in a similar situation it would be interesting to hear your outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sd2011

Does anyone know with the banks how can they tell companies that are on the EWSS as not on payslips? Thanks

Advertisement