Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ckeego wrote: »
    I’m not a big Galibier fan.

Extremely rude and condescending customer service (Female Director apparently) regarding a pair of 3/4 length bibs that were very simply badly designed. Baggy as hell around the calves and knees, riding up and over the knee.

The mesh on the straps was paper thin too, and easily torn.

Mistake I made was not to read the reviews first. It may be an “Irish” company but they have a long road to learning proper customer service.

Old adage is accurate.. if it’s too good to be true, it’s probably too good to be true

I've found them uber professional.
    Was shocked at how good they've been since I discovered them about a 18months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I've found them uber professional.
    Was shocked at how good they've been since I discovered them about a 18months ago
    I’d like to hope I caught them on a bad day, or perhaps she was a bit KP, but I saw them bully a site review online and they also didn’t post my review of their product either.

If a product is clearly not fit for purpose, the company should offer a refund or replacement but her general attitude was that it was my fault for trying the bibs on first and then riding in them while they hiked half way up my leg...Fingers popped through the mesh too.

A pity as the pad and fit above the knee was perfect. Maybe reduced because it was an isolated poor design or batch but doesn’t excuse rudeness and sh12 customer service.

Easy to get a good rating when you simply don’t publish the mediocre...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I’d like to hope I caught them on a bad day, or perhaps she was a bit KP, but I saw them bully a site review online and they also didn’t post my review of their product either.

If a product is clearly not fit for purpose, the company should offer a refund or replacement but her general attitude was that it was my fault for trying the bibs on first and then riding in them while they hiked half way up my leg...Fingers popped through the mesh too.

A pity as the pad and fit above the knee was perfect. Maybe reduced because it was an isolated poor design or batch but doesn’t excuse rudeness and sh12 customer service.

Easy to get a good rating when you simply don’t publish the mediocre...

Hi,
    2 issues-
    1. seems like you caught them on a bad day. I wanted to replace a gilet (too small) I ordered, they sent out the replacement before receiving mine back. Others have said the same.

2. only posting extremely positive reviews on their site. Poor form. I say many companies do this but still doesn't make it excusable.

Last couple of jerseys I got from these guys

https://sigr.cc/collections/cycling-jerseys

Free eu shipping.
    Often have sales.

Edit: size up at least one

Cheers, they do have some nice ones- I like this

will keep my eye on Rapha & Castelli for sale items as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The jerseys off the better brands on aliexpress arent bad spexcel santic etc.
    No need to spend much on a jersey all you need is something that fits snug, keep the money for bibs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have to say, bar club (and boards) jersey, I don't spend on jerseys - I like my retro pro ones from China. Bibs and Jackets is where I choose to spend.

Regarding Galibier, I've definitely seen 1 and 2 star reviews on the site. Just had a quick look there, and they're high up on the list of Mistral Bibs reviews for example. Obviously in the minority as people are happy with the customer service in the main - I know (rightly or wrongly), I'm not inclined to post a bad review if I've been looked after on returns. But obviously that doesn't happen in absolutely all cases.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Have to say, bar club (and boards) jersey, I don't spend on jerseys - I like my retro pro ones from China. Bibs and Jackets is where I choose to spend.

Regarding Galibier, I've definitely seen 1 and 2 star reviews on the site. Just had a quick look there, and they're high up on the list of Mistral Bibs reviews for example. Obviously in the minority as people are happy with the customer service in the main - I know (rightly or wrongly), I'm not inclined to post a bad review if I've been looked after on returns. But obviously that doesn't happen in absolutely all cases.

I've never seen the elusive Boards jersey. What's the story, are they readily available, anyone able to share a photo of one please?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

I have ordered some items from Galibier. Very quick and professional to deal with and super quick to deliver. Probably one of the better companies to deal with.

Their clothing is also quite for the price you pay!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

alentejo wrote: »
    I have ordered some items from Galibier. Very quick and professional to deal with and super quick to deliver. Probably one of the better companies to deal with.

Their clothing is also quite for the price you pay!
    I'd second this.
    I've made three multiple-item orders with them over the past year. They each arrived promptly, with a handwritten note wishing me safe riding. Two of the three orders included an unexpected freebie.
    I'd call that good customer service.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dinneenp wrote: »
    I've never seen the elusive Boards jersey. What's the story, are they readily available, anyone able to share a photo of one please?
    I've two of them - this is one I was wearing yesterday and literally just took in from the line...
    547767.jpg
    547768.jpg

Is it time for another jersey group buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’d imagine if you message the Verge rep on-site he would look after an order for you. His username should be in the thread somewhere.

Had a browse around several sites & might treat myself to a Castelli Prologo VI Jersey or a Rapha Core jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Had a browse around several sites & might treat myself to a Castelli Prologo VI Jersey or a Rapha Core jersey.

I think there is a Castelli challenge on Strava for a 25% off code.
    https://www.strava.com/challenges/castelli-flanders-challenge

Anyone ever bought from Siroko? They have some great designs but a. never heard of them before b. can't see any reviews or their jerseys recommended in any cycling sites c. Heard of them via Facebook ad
    https://www.siroko.com/products/california-maillot-cycling
    all of which leads me to think take a wide bearth and avoid them.
    Thanks
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Anyone ever bought from Siroko? They have some great designs but a. never heard of them before b. can't see any reviews or their jerseys recommended in any cycling sites c. Heard of them via Facebook ad
    Thanks
    Pa

I got a few jerseys last summer. Not too bad. Though the zip split on one the wife’s. so I guess you get what you pay for.

One of those sites that always has a sale.

Thanks
    Pa
    Was looking for low light glasses and they had “a sale” on. Had seen a few riders with their glasses on at races, so took a punt on a set of photochromic K3 glasses.
    There was also a discount code which basically covered the delivery.

Promptly Shipped from Northern Spain overnight with DHL.

Very slick packaging and presentation-well on par with more expensive brands. The quality is very good too-a good solid pair of glasses for around 40
    Quid.

I bought another pair as spares and passed on the code to a workmate who bought glasses and a jersey-he was equally impressed. Normal sizing in the jersey, so not Lester Piggott cut.

SIROKO are now a major sponsor of the Vuelta, and seem to be on a fairly aggressive ad campaign, so on my experience, they’re not passing on gash-it’s good quality product.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

+1 for Galibier and I have built up a collection, all top quality and always very reasonably priced. The mistral jacket is up there with the best and really a fraction of the price compared to a Castelli gabba. I have only found the 3/4 bibs not suitable but that's is likely due to my height at 6'6, probably very difficult to get any 3/4 bibs ;). Galibier also now offer a longer leg bib short, perfect for a taller rider

Also +1 on siroko, the gilets are a great addition to a spring kit and even Chilli summer start, very light and fit in the pocket, also have a Jersey but haven't even removed the tags. Has anyone tried their bib shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

Hi (yet again),

Any recommendations for a long sleeve base layer please?
    Galibier have one for €29- link, Decathlon have a few, from v cheap to Galibier price, Helly Hansen more expensive.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Le Bram is really good. Nice quality. But way more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Was looking for low light glasses and they had “a sale” on. Had seen a few riders with their glasses on at races, so took a punt on a set of photochromic K3 glasses.
    There was also a discount code which basically covered the delivery.

Promptly Shipped from Northern Spain overnight with DHL.

Very slick packaging and presentation-well on par with more expensive brands. The quality is very good too-a good solid pair of glasses for around 40
    Quid.

I bought another pair as spares and passed on the code to a workmate who bought glasses and a jersey-he was equally impressed. Normal sizing in the jersey, so not Lester Piggott cut.

SIROKO are now a major sponsor of the Vuelta, and seem to be on a fairly aggressive ad campaign, so on my experience, they’re not passing on gash-it’s good quality product.

+1 for Siroko glasses. Got a pair 2 years ago and they are still going strong

The Siroko glasses very wide?
    148mm on website, for every pair, even the women's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

The Siroko glasses very wide?
    148mm on website, for every pair, even the women's

They are on the wider side surely. The pair I have are more goggle like than sunglasses profile

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

With the weather picking up recently I've been out in the short-sleeved jerseys. Do folks recommend wearing the likes of the Spf50 light arm warmers from castelli or just embrace the tan lines ;) . Was also looking at arm warmers from galibier, I have their roubaixleg warmers and find them good. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

With the weather picking up recently I've been out in the short-sleeved jerseys. Do folks recommend wearing the likes of the Spf50 light arm warmers from castelli or just embrace the tan lines ;) . Was also looking at arm warmers from galibier, I have their roubaixleg warmers and find them good. Any recommendations?
    Can't help, as normally embrace the tan lines. However, I'm undergoing light therapy, so I have to cover my skin for the foreseeable.

Anyone used and compared cheaper options to the castelli arm and leg uv sleeves?

P20 sunscreen if you need it.
    But yeah embrace those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

didnt so much enjoy cycling in my flappy running tshirt today so looking at a jersey or two.

Galibier seems to be highly rated here, would picking up one or two of theirs be advisable?
    Are they better than the Siroko jerseys which seem to be in the same price range?

If you go back a couple pages there was some jersey chat.

Galibier are fine. But no better or worse than anyone else.
    It's usually about finding one you like the look of and obviously at the right price.

Personally I struggle to pay more than 30 or 35 for one. So I've a couple for sigr, one from sweet-pretection and a couple generic off wiggle.
    Basically I look for sales and ones I like

28% off Le Col website- STRAVAP200T71HY

28% off Le Col website- STRAVAP200T71HY

Basically reduces the prices to Rapha level so😂

Basically reduces the prices to Rapha level so😂

Ya, from extremely expensive to very expensive.

Think I'll complete the Strava Castelli challenge and use the 25% off for a red Lamitica Jersey (will be €63 or thereabouts)
    https://www.castelli-cycling.com/ie/lamitica-jersey/p/452107221P
    Cheers,
    Pa

• Advertisement

Ya, from extremely expensive to very expensive.

Think I'll complete the Strava Castelli challenge and use the 25% off for a red Lamitica Jersey (will be €63 or thereabouts)
    https://www.castelli-cycling.com/ie/lamitica-jersey/p/452107221P
    Cheers,
    Pa
    Very true 180 Sterling for a jersey and 220 for bibs is saucy.
    I saw today that Chain Reaction have an Easter sale, Pa.
    The dhb Blok jersey is down to 37 quid.
    Have found the dhb stuff to be excellent without exception.

Advertisement