Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi (yet again),

Any recommendations for a long sleeve base layer please?
    Galibier have one for €29- link, Decathlon have a few, from v cheap to Galibier price, Helly Hansen more expensive.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Under Armour cold gear, absolutely top class garment. It quite often pops up on sale on Amazon but well worth the retail price.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

I find that merino base layers are the best - they stay warm even when wet. This is my current go-to base layer right now:
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=142490

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

Hi (yet again),

Galibier have one for €29- link, Decathlon have a few, from v cheap to Galibier price, Helly Hansen more expensive.

Cheers,
    Pa.

That Galibier one is a mesh base layer, not sure it works so well for very cold conditions.
    I have the short sleeve version, which I wore under jerseys all summer & found excellent for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Wiggle have a DHB branded merino wool one that’s great. Just used one on a -4 degree mountain cycle last weekend. No complaints at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dahat wrote: »
    Under Armour cold gear, absolutely top class garment. It quite often pops up on sale on Amazon but well worth the retail price.

I use these as well for running/cycling when it's cold and am happy with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Does anyone know the difference between the Energie Thermo and Mistral bib tights from Galibier? Not sure which to go for - or any other long bib tights I should be looking at in a similar price range?

Energie are your standard thermal bib tights, pretty much similar to many other brands, Mistral have panels of fabric similar to the Mistral jacket which adds wind blocking and much more moisture resistance, I have both, energie is for most of the time, mistral for those really ****ty days, pissing rain and blowing a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

nilhg wrote: »
    Energie are your standard thermal bib tights, pretty much similar to many other brands, Mistral have panels of fabric similar to the Mistral jacket which adds wind blocking and much more moisture resistance, I have both, energie is for most of the time, mistral for those really ****ty days, pissing rain and blowing a gale.

If I was to buy 1 pair would the Mistral be worth it or would it be overkill for when it is not really ****ty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

If I was to buy 1 pair would the Mistral be worth it or would it be overkill for when it is not really ****ty?

For me they'd probably be too warm most of the time, today for example. They really only come into their own on cold days where windchill is an issue.

Mostly I'd be using them with the Mistral Pro jacket.

The big thing with the best galibier gear is that it's so well built that you'll get ages out of it, so while I might be coming across as something of a fan boy it's always an easy decision to buy a new bit of kit off them. I bought the V1 Mistral jacket off them the day it was released, it's still almost as good as the day I got it and it gets well used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

As a former kayaker and now cyclist (and sometime kayaker)

I have about 20 thermals

For cycling i use 2 different types

For under jackets or insulated jerseys
    I tend to use something warm and very breathable
    Standard Craft or HH under layer
    (have a couple portwest ones too, not as good as HH/craft)

On their own
    Under a jersey
    Under a gilet
    Under jackets or insulated jersey in very cold

I use a thermal that the manufacturers often call compression
    Generally thermal and tight
    I have a great Craft one
    Nike, Underarmour and HH also do decent ones

I find these warmer and not as breathable.
    This has it's advantages sometimes as i get less windchill in these
    Can keep the arms nice and toasty in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

For me they'd probably be too warm most of the time, today for example. They really only come into their own on cold days where windchill is an issue.

Mostly I'd be using them with the Mistral Pro jacket.

The big thing with the best galibier gear is that it's so well built that you'll get ages out of it, so while I might be coming across as something of a fan boy it's always an easy decision to buy a new bit of kit off them. I bought the V1 Mistral jacket off them the day it was released, it's still almost as good as the day I got it and it gets well used.

I love the Galibier gear .. very well made and get your monies worth without a doubt, What is the Energie bibs like ? is there a bit of stretch in them as i am between 2 sizes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Amazon Prime Day(s) is Oct 13th and 14th so will keep an eye out for Under Armour or one of the others for a long sleeve base layer

Nike have one (Mens's I checked) on sale/discount atm, small or medium only. 20% extra off with OCT2020 so it's €31.48 & free delivery
    link

Still think I'll wait for HH, Under Armour or Wiggle DHB branded merino.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

While I'd echo most, I have two pairs of the mistral bibs (older red detail and yellow detail), as my only (non-commuter) bibs. Obviously, I therefore can't compare with the thermo one's, but I've never had an issue with over heating. Albeit I'd be prone to feeling the cold.
    I'm definitely a fan boy. I have shorts, tights, 3/4 length, 3 versions of mistral jackets (Quick Step Blue, Mistral Lite short sleeve, and added the Pro this year), tempest pro, firefeet socks, mitts/ gloves. Basically, anything I'm fussy about (which doesn't include jerseys (love my retro) and base layers!)

About the only criticism I'd have is that they sold the QS Mistral on the basis on send back for re-waterproofing, but that doesn't seem to be the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Hi (yet again),

Cheers,
    Pa.

I've been using the Decathlon Kipsta base layers for years and find them great. They're not cycling specific so you'll find them in the football/rugby section. I've both long and short sleeve versions. There's also a thermal one, but TBH anything above freezing I've generally been toasty enough in the normal one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    What is the Energie bibs like ? is there a bit of stretch in them as i am between 2 sizes

Won a pair in a Galibier raffle a while back and getting great use out of them since the weather got colder. I queried the size with them (I was given a choice) as I had found the Mistral bib tights to be a bit on the short size. No such problem with the Energie Thermo bib tights and the medium fits my 180cm 67 kg perfectly.

I wasn't sure I'd use them much as they were the chamois-free version but, combined with an old favourite (but threadbare!) pair of shorts, they are great.

Hi (yet again),

Galibier releasing a new winter base layer this weekend, according to their Instagram. Looks the business.

Macer123 wrote: »
    Galibier releasing a new winter base layer this weekend, according to their Instagram. Looks the business.

Thread should be re-named to 'Clothing 101- check Galibier'

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Macer123 wrote: »

How can you tell its the Business?
    More than likely it will be good but those photos dont give much away only that its comes in red

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Is there such a thing as a weatherproof (waterproof/showerproof) bib tights?
    I don't want to spend huge money, but I am having one of my best (and longest) years on the bike, and could probably tempt myself to continue if there is such a thing.

OR, is the thinking just wear bib tights, if you get wet, you're wet, get over it?

+1 on the Galibier recommendations above, apart from the quality of the mistral foul weather (black and yellow is particularly lovely0 and the mistral pro that I have, the customer service is second to none. I bought a back up grey and orange mistral foil weather in early July someone on here put up a link to the black/yellow, and I fell in love, I emailed Galibier asked if they would exchange even though 7 or 8 weeks had passed - they said no problem, just send it back.

Great service.

Galibier artic overshoes, any one got a user review? Bought a pair recently and they seem to be good quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If its wet get wet get over it, i can learn that lesson too btw, currently in the market for ano old bike for a winter bike to get rid of the destroying my bike excuse.
    Apart from commuting stuff i havent really came across waterproof bibs, there probably are, but i am guessing they are difficult to sell as they probably wouldnt be breathable.
    You can always put on waterproofing spray but would this damage the moisture wicking fabric
    As long as your torso feet and hands are warm does it really matter if your legs are getting wet anyway?
    Nothing better than the feeling of getting home after a wet ride though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Galibier artic overshoes, any one got a user review? Bought a pair recently and they seem to be good quality..

Also anyone tried their aquachrono waterproof overshoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I don't want to spend huge money, but I am having one of my best (and longest) years on the bike, and could probably tempt myself to continue if there is such a thing.

OR, is the thinking just wear bib tights, if you get wet, you're wet, get over it?

Any that I've seen that claim to be in any way waterproof (DHB have one or two candidates) seem to fall down in comfort and boil in the bagness when it's not actually wet.

Best I have is a pair of Decathlon winter tights I got a few years back. They've a fairly thick fleece material which is shower resistant but by no means waterproof. Where they succeed though is in making sure that once you are wet you don't get cold which I think is the main thing

wheelo01 wrote: »

+1 on the Galibier recommendations above, apart from the quality of the mistral foul weather (black and yellow is particularly lovely0 and the mistral pro that I have, the customer service is second to none. I bought a back up grey and orange mistral foil weather in early July someone on here put up a link to the black/yellow, and I fell in love, I emailed Galibier asked if they would exchange even though 7 or 8 weeks had passed - they said no problem, just send it back.

Great service.
    eh, Galibier Mistral Bibs!

codie wrote: »
    How can you tell its the Business?
    More than likely it will be good but those photos dont give much away only that its comes in red

I'm not in any way connected with Galibier, only trying to be helpful, passing on some new info.
    "it looks the business" is just my opinion & a common saying !!!
    It could replace two separate garments (a mesh layer & warmer base layer) that I would normally wear, so a definite plus for me.

I'll be more care how I phrase my help in future.

Oh!! its orange not red.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I was out on a longish ride on Saturday in Galibier Classique bib shorts and Mistral Pro jacket, first time wearing either. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the chamois in the shorts and think I will be keeping them for shorter spins. On the other hand the Mistral Pro is an exceptional jacket that I was extremely impressed with. The double zip is a really nice feature for those sort of 10C inbetween days.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I was out on a longish ride on Saturday in Galibier Classique bib shorts and Mistral Pro jacket, first time wearing either. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the chamois in the shorts and think I will be keeping them for shorter spins. On the other hand the Mistral Pro is an exceptional jacket that I was extremely impressed with. The double zip is a really nice feature for those sort of 10C inbetween days.

Their website is curious- it seems that if an item isn't available in all sizes that it won't appear on the main page for that range (e.g. long sleeve items). For example mistral-pro-jacket/ is only available in S or XS and the only way I found it was by googling it.

Their website is curious- it seems that if an item isn't available in all sizes that it won't appear on the main page for that range (e.g. long sleeve items). For example mistral-pro-jacket/ is only available in S or XS and the only way I found it was by googling it.

Check the "Sale" page.

Had a pair a few years ago, but the zip failed on me. They were out of stock, so a return and swap wasn't possible, but as ever, zero issue with a refund.

Also one for sale on Adverts just now.

• Advertisement

Also one for sale on Adverts just now.

Cheers, there's 2 on Adverts but size not right for me.

I'm 6 foot, average build but had to return a Galibier gilet and get XXL (which surprised me).
    Is there such thing as a year round jacket? Currently, I'm presuming better off getting a winter one (Mistral Foul weather jacket) and one for not-winter/cold weather (something like Gino light

Advertisement