Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cheers, there's 2 on Adverts but size not right for me.

I'm 6 foot, average build but had to return a Galibier gilet and get XXL (which surprised me).
    Is there such thing as a year round jacket? Currently, I'm presuming better off getting a winter one (Mistral Foul weather jacket) and one for not-winter/cold weather (something like Gino light

Assuming it doesn't have to be Galibier... a year-round jacket is the one you have with you all the time. I tend to carry a shakedry jacket in a bottle-cage holder - in winter I wear more layers under it. A very insulated jacket seems a poor choice to me - you can't take it off when you get too hot, unless you tie it around your waist, while you can often get a skinny layer or two into your jersey pockets, should the need arise. Just my 2 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

brownian wrote: »
    Assuming it doesn't have to be Galibier... a year-round jacket is the one you have with you all the time. I tend to carry a shakedry jacket in a bottle-cage holder - in winter I wear more layers under it. A very insulated jacket seems a poor choice to me - you can't take it off when you get too hot, unless you tie it around your waist, while you can often get a skinny layer or two into your jersey pockets, should the need arise. Just my 2 cent.

I'm still trying to figure it out tbh.
    Some say in winter/cold can wear a jacket and long sleeve base layer under it, so no need for a jersey. I guess the compromise is wind & waterproof vs. breathability.
    The other option would be layers-base layer, long sleeve jersey/short sleeve jersey & arm warmers, gilet & waterproof jacket in pocket. I haven't even looked into are there windproof long sleeve jerseys....

I'm still trying to figure it out tbh.
    Some say in winter/cold can wear a jacket and long sleeve base layer under it, so no need for a jersey. I guess the compromise is wind & waterproof vs. breathability.
    The other option would be layers-base layer, long sleeve jersey/short sleeve jersey & arm warmers, gilet & waterproof jacket in pocket. I haven't even looked into are there windproof long sleeve jerseys....

I have a cupboard under the stairs full of all these options. But it's rare enough to head out for the day, knowing it's going to be cold and wet all day long. So the option to strip layers or part-layers (arm warmers, gilets, exceptionally leg-warmers) is what I usually go for. Thus, in winter, a typical setup is long-sleeve base layer, arm warmers, short jersey. If wanted, gilet. Carried on bike - shakedry jacket. Bib shorts, leg warmers (or replace bibs and warmers with tights - I hardly ever take off leg warmers). Toe covers or overshoes. Skull cap in jersey pocket, in case it gets really feckin cold.

Under the stairs, and rarely used are a short gabba (too sweaty, a short jersey and a gilet are more flexible), a parentini mossa, which is basically a long-sleeve gabba, various water-resistant jerseys (all not worn as too sweaty - if it's deffo going to be really rugged out, then the mossa).

I haven't found decently water resistant shorts yet, though Pearl Izumi do nice no-pad tights that are cosy if you know it's going to be wet and harsh.

When you can add windproof at will, by putting on a gilet or a shakedry, then having it built into your jersey is redundant...and makes for sweaty climbing.

Your own experience may vary!

I was asking about long sleeve base layers a few days ago.

Amazon Prime Day deal- Under Armour Coldgear Armour Mock, Ultra-Warm Long-Sleeve Shirt from £22 (L) £32 (XL) amongst other sizes link

I'm tempted by above, but Galibier's new long sleeve mesh & base layer top adds indecision....

Apart from the sad fact that Amazon are killing towns across Ireland, and Jeff Bezos is the single most egregious example of global inequality, I can't argue it's a good deal! At least Galibier are somewhat local.

There are other threads on here about base layers. Myself, I tend to go for a thin mesh base layer during cooler summer weather, down to maybe 14 centigrade, then to move to a merino-mix one (sportpursuit have loads - the Rivelo one is grand, Wiggle DHB have some, icebreaker ones are dear but last for ever). If the merino gets very sweaty, it''s slower to dry than pure plastic...but otherwise I find it very comfortable, and less likely to shed micro-plastics into the waste water, than fleece-based fabrics.
    If you can stand the ridicule from your friends, dryarn mesh is actually really effective. There's a certain 'Berlin gay cabaret' style to it, as the the mesh is quite large...but it is surprisingly warm and dries out pretty fast. Maybe best worn under something else. IIRC PlanetX have some, though the Norwegian brand Bryjne (sp?) seem to be market leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I'm 6 foot, average build but had to return a Galibier gilet and get XXL (which surprised me)....]

Hi, without getting too personal.... What is average build??!

I'm considering which gilet to buy at the moment, the galibier Zoncolan is in the mix. I'm around 6 foot 3, touching 100kg but with maybe 35 inch waist, so I'm heavy but not carrying too much excess weight around the middle but far from skinny too! So I'd say maybe average build but tall like yourself?

Is the galibier packable into a Jersey pocket?

My head is wrecked to be honest, considering the galibier, a castelli perfetto (but I've had castelli stuff in the past and it's always been way too short), maybe a gore c3 vest, even rapha but they seem to get a bad rep as a posers brand, I dunno about them.... I'm reluctant to pay for the castelli or rapha at full price but if thr galibier is not packable (it doesn't seem to be?) it's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I'm considering which gilet to buy at the moment, the galibier Zoncolan is in the mix. I'm around 6 foot 3, touching 100kg but with maybe 35 inch waist, so I'm heavy but not carrying too much excess weight around the middle but far from skinny too! So I'd say maybe average build but tall like yourself?

My head is wrecked to be honest, considering the galibier, a castelli perfetto (but I've had castelli stuff in the past and it's always been way too short), maybe a gore c3 vest, even rapha but they seem to get a bad rep as a posers brand, I dunno about them.... I'm reluctant to pay for the castelli or rapha at full price but if thr galibier is not packable (it doesn't seem to be?) it's not for me.

I just purchased the Galibier Zoncolan, lovely gilet but wouldn't fit in a jersey pocket IMO. I went for the medium and while it fits okay I do think it's a bit short. If I was ordering again I would have gone large.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The zoncolan reviews suggest it's not packable. My perfetto is just about in the middle pocket, at a stretch (and probably not much in the other two pockets - I carry everything except phone and food on the bike), but I don't think it's a ROS version I have.

I'm very much the opposite to Brownian, or maybe I'm more cold blooded! I regularly use jackets, and looking forward to trying the Mistral Pro. I think that can be just a individual thing how many layers/ what works best for people. In winter, I'd rarely use arm warmers - long sleeve jersey and jacket.

If you are going the just a waterproof route - there is the Galibier Tempest. I've used it in summer at the Tour de Kilkenny and got a good way through before it got to warm and sweaty (for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm the same size as you.
    6'3 and 95kg
    I bought the Galibier Aix over the summer in XL
    Fits perfectly.
    Does fit in a pocket, but is a windbreak only.

Maybe ask Galibier on sizing against the Aix.

Brother is also 6'3
    He bought the mistral lite gilet last week
    He is deffo not 95kg
    Went M. Happy but little short in front.
    Can ask him about packing to pocket

I'm 6 foot, 85kg, waist 38", chest 40".
    I returned my first order, they sent out the replacement (before having received the one I sent back...) AND refunded me for my return postage.

I'm going to buy their new long sleeve base layer & possibly a long sleeve jersey from them & will email them asking if I got X size in gilet should I go for same size in jersey. (I'm still trying to figure out if I have a long sleeve base layer, arm warmers & gilet do I need a long sleeve jersey- anyone? Obviously wouldn't wear the long sleeve jersey with the arm warmers & gilet, would put gilet on if raining)

I had emailed them re gilets, they reply-
    For cool evenings the izoard or mistral lite keeps heat in and with the mistral, the elements out. Aix and Ventultur difference- The Aix has pockets in the back and is a heavier. If one for year round, the Vent is the most useful garment

I bought the AIX and like it, fits in jersey back pocket
    My head is wrecked as well, trying to figure out what layers to buy, should I go cheap or not (e.g. Decathlon rain jacket for €15, should I buy more expensive but they only buy once or are some cheap fine? etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wouldn't buy any of the cheaper Decathlon stuff. Their mid to higher ranges are great but that jacket will probably just be a boil in the bag type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Wow, thanks very much, that's incredibly helpful.

I've ordered the galibier izoard XL, my first gilet after more than 10 years cycling so hopefully not the start of another expensive habit! I've loads of winter and summer clothes but never quite right for the in between!

If it doesn't pack up I guess I can always bodge it around the seat post with a backwards cable tie or just find a mini saddle bag, I'm bound to have one in the shed somewhere.

Thanks again

Just to say, the Galibier tops/ jackets/ gilets are all cut to be right on the bike - off the bike they do seem short at the front (first thing my better half says every time I put them on!), but I've never had an issue on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I wouldn't buy any of the cheaper Decathlon stuff. Their mid to higher ranges are great but that jacket will probably just be a boil in the bag type.

Yep. Have a cheap one this years.
    Pure boil in bag.

I use it for standing around before runs and stuff. Not cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just to say, the Galibier tops/ jackets/ gilets are all cut to be right on the bike - off the bike they do seem short at the front (first thing my better half says every time I put them on!), but I've never had an issue on the bike.

Fully agreed on the mistral pro, but the mistral foul weather is plenty long at the front from my experience of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Fully agreed on the mistral pro, but the mistral foul weather is plenty long at the front from my experience of both.

My foul weather is a size too big now so it's used as a winter commuter jacket, plenty long enough at the front for commuting. It feels like a posh commuter jacket really.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I'm a big fan of Galibier clothing but their hi vis Vu Winter jacket is out of stock in my size. Can anyone recommend a similar jacket that will make me noticeable on country roads in the darkening and murky evenings? thanks

https://galibier.cc/product/vujacket/?currency=EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Apologies if this has already been asked but I am looking into something to keep my feet warm on winter cycles. I would go out in most conditions (unless particularly dangerous) and have suffered terribly with cold feet over the last few years. I have tried various combinations of merino socks, SealSkin waterproof socks, toe covers, overshoes and have never had much success. Cycles have been abandoned and cut short on a few occasions when I can no longer feel my feet. I am looking at the Fizik Artica R5 winter shoes and/or Spatz overshoes. Does anyone have any experience of these and would recommend them? Open to other suggestions too

Some feedback on the Galibier (we should rename the thread) VentUltra gilet, their wafer-thin white+black one. I wore one for most of yesterday, while spinning around the back roads. When the sun came out, and it was actually pleasant, I took it off. But otherwise, it was a great extra layer of warmth, especially on the downhill and flat bits. Packed with zero fuss into a jersey pocket, with room for a phone too.

Specifics: size medium. I'm 5'8" (173cm) and 80kg. Like others on this thread, who are quite differently shaped to me, I think I'm average build too 8-). 32/34 waist, maybe a 40 chest? Average, really. The medium is a perfect fit over a merino base layer and a heavy-ish short-sleeve jersey (Torm make lovely jerseys, no idea why they aren't better known).

In fact, what I should have worn was a thinner, plastic base layer (the rapha ones are good), and then used the Gilet more. Instead, I got the merino base layer damp quite early on, and it never really dried out. Yesterday in Dublin was dry and occasionally sun-touched, once the early morning rain cleared around 0930.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

French company Ekoi do good kit too. Great bargains there when they have a sale which happens quite often.
    I've bought a fair bit from them over the last couple of years. Sizing is accurate from their guides.
    They're selling off their Ekoi Racing winter jackets now which are worth getting if they still have your size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

anyone know how the Galibier mistral foul would compare to a castellie gabba?

I have the gabba and my gf is looking for her first winter jacket. The Galibier seems to have very similar features and claims to do much that the gabba does. Looks like very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    anyone know how the Galibier mistral foul would compare to a castellie gabba?

I have the gabba and my gf is looking for her first winter jacket. The Galibier seems to have very similar features and claims to do much that the gabba does. Looks like very good value.

I've had the Mistral for four years now. Keeps me completely dry and warm even in downpours and cold winds. I'm amazed its still waterproof after four years! Highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

rxchxy wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been asked but I am looking into something to keep my feet warm on winter cycles.

Have you looked at this thread? https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058116307/1/#post114720084
    Cycle Tribe carry the North Wave range of winter shoes and boots and a number of people in the club swear by them. I recently got a pair of their Celcius Arctic GTX boots but haven't tried them out as it hasn't been cold enough. Not cheap but I suspect they will be well used over the coming months.

Missed that thread, but I wouldn't be without my Northwave Raptor GTX Thermal Winter boots. I got the spd version, as it was for gravelling. However, I put spd pedals on my winter road bike, as that was cheaper than a three bolt version of the boot!

Warm, waterproof, and I just hose them down when I'm cleaning the bike at the end of a spin.

In the boot, either galibier firefeet or ski socks from Aldi/ lidl. I use the firefeet a lot when it's just cool/ cold in "normal" shoes. I'm still on the fence whether they make the boots just a touch too tight a fit (otherwise I'd have no doubts)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Any recommendations for a good jacket? I'm on my bike for winter so I might as well spend some money on a good one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Any recommendations for a good jacket? I'm on my bike for winter so I might as well spend some money on a good one.

Galibier Mistral is the go to one for many here.

Parentini Vita is a superb jacket. Santini Meridian is my favourite for the cold days, but santini change their range frequently enough so don't know what equivalent is now. Long sleeve gabba or a stolen goat orkaan are good too, though need to get layering right

For rain, Shakedry or a Columbia Outdry Ex are the only things I'd consider to near guarantee staying dry. Columbia do a trail running version of theirs that is light enough for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Can anyone comment on the clean-ability of a Castelli Drive Blue perfetto? Other half got me a Sky Blue perfetto last year and it's getting fairly grubby after a month of riding on muddy boreens. Is the Drive Blue a bit more manageable stains/cleaning wise?

Torn between the blue or the black Perfetto but amn't too keen on the idea of being head to toe in black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

any reccomendations for good windproof and waterproof gloves

i have a decent pair of galibier gloves but they cant deal with heavy rain, hands are still not cold , despite being damp just if you have to take them off its impossible to get them back on, they do a great job in the cold, but any heavy rain and they are soaked through..

ive had neoprene, but my hands were bloody freezing in them , they are probably on the tight side, but id be wary of getting another pair

have spent the week reading reviews and i'm no wiser really,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fierce tempted by these myself.

https://www.dissent133.com/collections/cycling-glove-systems/products/dissent-133-ultimate-pack-3-layered-glove-system?variant=21251639214159

I'll probably just go with a set of SealSkinz though. I'm impressed enough by the socks, that I think the gloves should do a decent job. Socks eventually wet out, but that's on the bad days when you're going through puddles and shoes are retaining water.

Columbia used to do a light glove made from their Outdry Ex material, but not anymore other than their very thick ski gloves.

Endura Pro Sl waterproofs are highly rated, and I would hope some of the

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

woody1 wrote: »
    any reccomendations for good windproof and waterproof gloves
    have spent the week reading reviews and i'm no wiser really,

This time every year someone asks the same question. Maybe do a search here in the Cycling forum and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

Advertisement