Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ol' 55

Options
  • 31-03-2020 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Well, I've been stalking a few of ye these past few days while working from home, and decided it may not be a bad thing to jump back into the ring, could even help to keep me on the straight and narrow, maybe!

Had a few threads over the years. When I started it all I took the name Speedy44 as you can see. I am now fast approaching notsospeedy55, with a few goals in mind ;)

The family and I moved back in 2017 from Galway to Kilkenny, been travelling a lot for work so unfortunately have not invested as much time to training as I would have usually done. So the lack of fitness and conditioning, and starting to get on a bit in years, has left me significantly slower than in my mid life peak of 2010-14. My highlight back then was I suppose winning the V45 Masters 1500m in 2012. My goal for this year was originally the World Masters in Toronto in August, but since that is scrapped, I would hope to give the National 800m V55 a go instead (if we are all back to normal then).

I am way off where I want to be though like I said. Have had an ongoing issue with the hamstrings for the last few years. Been to a physio who gave me some stretching exercises to do, unfortunately I have never been very diligent when it comes to doing these, and on my 11ml run on Sunday, I was hobbling for the last mile or so :mad:

Stretched yesterday and will so some more today before I head out for an easy 6mls to see how it goes. I have slowly build up to where I ran 37mls last week, and want to slowly increase it to 50-55mls over the next few weeks. Have just been concentratiing on building a base, with some tempo' and hill sessions thrown in. Need to lose at least 5-6k as well if I want to get serious.....so wish me luck :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Welcome back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Been cautious this week with the runs, the hamstring is still tender, but at least now I am doing my stretches on a daily basis :)
    Have mapped out a 1.8ml (3k) loop from my front door that takes me past the local Lidl, I call it my Lidl Loop :D It has a bike path adjacent to the walking path so enough room to adhere to social distancing.

Took Monday off after doing 11mls on Sunday.

Tuesday - 5.4mls easy @ 8:40/ml pace
    Wednesday - 7.2mls easy @8:30/ml pace. A little less sore than yesterday, but could feel it warning me not to even think about going any faster :rolleyes:
    Thursday - Was going to rest but weather was nice and I was bored so.....5.4mls easy again. Felt a bit better today, 8:27/ml pace but the last mile was 7:59 without forcing anything.

Had hoped to do a 5k tempo at some point this week but not too worried if I can't.

Friday 3rd
    I did 9mls easy at 8:14/ml pace. Its starting to get frustrating now because I feel like I want to push on but the hamstring is holding me back :(Ah well, at least I'm getting out I suppose.

Sunday 5th
    Had planned an easy 13mls which would have been my lonest run since DCM. Leg sore from the start, and very strong wind to contend with on each 3k loop. Heart rate was very low as i was going so slow it wasn't really much effort. Decided to leave it at 11mls as I don't think I was doing myself any favours hobbling along as I was getting progressively stiffer.

Am thinking it may be time to take a few days off to see if it will do any good. I can't imagine that it is anything too serious otherwise I wouldn't have been able to run 38mls this week. But it is concerning that I can't do the tempo's, intervals and hills that I was doing a few weeks back.

So I have managed to stick to my plan for the week and take a few days off, which hasn't been easy with the good weather :cool:

I have been stretching every day and can feel the benefit, also incorporating some upper body work. I took Monday and Tuesday off, did an easy 5.4mls on Wed @ 8:03/ml pace, off yesterday and an easy 7.2mls this morning @ 8:17/ml pace.

I'll take tomorrow off too and do an easy 9mls on Sunday. The hamstring is holding up well and I haven't felt it at all.

Next week I'll get back on track and plan to get 40mls in, hopefully with a 20min tempo thrown in there too.

I realised when I was running today that in 9weeks I will be 55, so with that in mind I think I will try and see if I can somehow crank out a 5:30 mile on the day :rolleyes:

Have no idea what shape I am in really in that regard, I may follow the Danials plan and do 3 x 3 weeks phases, I have a decent bit of basework in, and as long as the injury holds up, it'll be good to have something to aim for :D

Good week under the belt; 45mls from 6 runs including 13mls this morning. All easy running but I did do strides at the end of 2 of the sessions, and have been keeping up with me stretches.
    Two more easy week then I'll start Phase 2 of the Daniels plan for 800/1500m, not that anyone is sure if there will be any races to run in, but what the hell :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck with Daniels. I've done the 800 version (well, the last two phases of it anyway). I enjoyed it, some great sessions in there.

Have you followed Daniels before, what did you think? If I remember correctly there were no 800m paces in it, which put me off, but maybe that changed in latest version.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Have you followed Daniels before, what did you think? If I remember correctly there were no 800m paces in it, which put me off, but maybe that changed in latest version.

Yea, I followed it for Rotterdam marathon a few years back and also the 1500m plan. The 1500m plan was interspersed with club sessions. Its Daniel's 2nd edition I have. There are plans for 400/800m and for 1500/3000m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Speedy44 wrote: »
    So I have managed to stick to my plan for the week and take a few days off, which hasn't been easy with the good weather :cool:

I have been stretching every day and can feel the benefit, also incorporating some upper body work. I took Monday and Tuesday off, did an easy 5.4mls on Wed @ 8:03/ml pace, off yesterday and an easy 7.2mls this morning @ 8:17/ml pace.

I'll take tomorrow off too and do an easy 9mls on Sunday. The hamstring is holding up well and I haven't felt it at all.

Next week I'll get back on track and plan to get 40mls in, hopefully with a 20min tempo thrown in there too.

I realised when I was running today that in 9weeks I will be 55, so with that in mind I think I will try and see if I can somehow crank out a 5:30 mile on the day :rolleyes:

Have no idea what shape I am in really in that regard, I may follow the Danials plan and do 3 x 3 weeks phases, I have a decent bit of basework in, and as long as the injury holds up, it'll be good to have something to aim for :D

We must be within a day or two of one another.... 12/06/'65??

Itziger wrote: »
    We must be within a day or two of one another.... 12/06/'65??

Snap :D

• Advertisement

Snap :D

We should have a race off!!! Or maybe not.

We should have a race off!!! Or maybe not.

Based on your predicted time for Saturday vs mine, it wouldn't be much of a race off :rolleyes: Maybe we can do it on the bday, as long as we keep it at a mile ;)

Based on your predicted time for Saturday vs mine, it wouldn't be much of a race off :rolleyes: Maybe we can do it on the bday, as long as we keep it at a mile ;)

Unless me Ma ran a mile when she was pregnant with me, I don't think I've ever done one!!

It might be something to think about alright. Remind me closer to the date.

Sneaks off to check out Mile Training Key sessions

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday -

7.5mls easy at 8:37/ml pace + 6 x 100m strides. Seiously lacking leg speed with all base work to date. Can see improvement though already on the strides from last week. Good stretching session as well with some hamstring specific stretches from my physio, ITB, a few lunches and some upper body work with the dumbells.

Wednesday -
    After reading some posts decided at the last minute to do a 3 x 1k during my 6ml run to try and gauge what to do on Sat in the Boards 5k TT :rolleyes:
    An eye opener if ever there was one! First k was 4:04, and it felt it. Took 4 mins jog rec and then the 2nd k was 4:22 :(
    Was going to call it at that but decided to do 500m, just for the fun. Surprised with the 1:44 I got.
    No idea really where that leaves me for Saturday; conscious of not starting off too fast, supposed to be a nice day weather wise, will wait and see ;)

Thursday
    Just a nice comfortable 8mls easy. Nothing to see here :rolleyes:

Friday
    5 1/2 mls easy followed by 4 x 100m strides. I can already see the benefit of introducing these as I feel that there is a bit more pep in my step now. Managed to get the last 2 down to 4:53/ml and 4:48/ml pace; ok, its only 100m but what the hell, I'll take it :D
    Keeping up with my stretches and some upper body stuff too.

Saturday

Boards 5k TT - 21:43

Was going back and forth in my head about what route I would take, tbh, it didn't really make that much difference because it is flat enough around where I live apart from a few small hills that would only come into play if I really screwed up the pace.

Did an easy 2mls warm up and some stretches and a few strides, then it was off time. Decided I wouldn't check the splits as I went, but just keep an eye on the heart rate instead. Wanted to maybe keep it in the high 150's for the first 2k which is a slight downhill, mid 160's on the 3rd k which has the first hill, try and hold it at that for the 4th k, and let the final k take care of itself, which normally means about mid 170's if I am balls out :rolleyes:
    What actually happened was the first k was 157bpm, then 164, 168, 170 and 172. My concern going into it was that I would go off too fast, the mini k session I did earlier in the week was a wake up call.

My splits were: 4:19, 4:28, 4:26, 4:18 and 4:11.

I was a bit conservative on the 2nd k I think, but happy with what would have been a negative split. Have one more week of base training and then start Danials phase 2 so it will be interesting to see the results.

Sunday
    Ended up taking the day off, which wasn't planned. Had a few celebratory beers last night which more of less made the decision easier.

Week = 36mls

Monday
    8mls easy + stretches and upper body work

Tuesday
    5.5mls easy + 6 x 100m strides & stretches.

Wednesday
    8mls easy + stretches and upper body work

Thursday
    1500m Timetrial to gauge my training splits as I move into Phase 2 of the Danials plan next week.
    Did it on the same course as I used for the 5k TT last Saturday, it has a slight slope downwards but nothing that I'd be ashamed of :rolleyes:
    Set the garmin for 500m splits; was hoping for about 1:50 per; hard to gauge the pace though as no work done except for strides over the past 3 weeks.

Started off pretty quick but pulled it back after the first 100-150m. Reached the first 500m in 1:55.7/159bpm. Sh*t, thought it would be quicker.
    Injected some pace but conscious still 1k to go and didn't want to blow up. Trying to relax and work at the same time!

Got the next 500m in 1:52.9/170bpm. Again, was hoping I had pulled back more.
    Digging deep now but legs just aren't turning over quick enough, no lactic though. Glanced at the watch a couple of times so as to gauge my 'kick'. Don't think I could replicate the end of a race but gave it what I had and did the last 500m in 1:51.1; to finish the 1500m in 5:39.8

A long way to go if I am to be ready for the National Masters in August (until I am told otherwords, they're on ;)). The interval work in Phase 2 and speedwork in Phase's 3 & 4 will bring the times down; hopefully enough :D

Friday
    I was going to take today off but it was such a beautiful morning I went out for an eay 4mls at 7.30am. Almost went out for a second run later that day :rolleyes:.

Saturday
    Was going to do 13mls early, and after having my porridge and heading out at 8.30am, I just couldn't get my head into it. Pace was easy, breathing was fine, I just couldn't relax. Decided to cut it short and get out again tomorrow.
    Ended up with 7.35mls @ 8:38/ml pace.

Sunday
    Was going to do 13mls but after yesterday's run, I calculated that 11mls would get me over the 50mls for the week for the first time since DCM, and I don't want to be exausted as I start doing sessions for the first time next week. Lovely morning for it, 4 laps of 2.75mls per lap. Felt better than yesterday, had to concentrate on relaxing my head again sometimes. My fastest mile was the last one of 8:10, and thats when I felt best.

Week = 50.35mls ;)

Monday

Forced myself to take the day off :rolleyes:

Tuesday
    First interval session for a looonnggg time; plan was 4 x (2 x 200m, 1 x 400m) with 200m jog recs after the 2's and 400m after the 4. After my 1500 TT last week, the paces were meant to be 45secs for the 2's and 90secs for the 4's.

Did it on the ring road, very windy and was running right into it on the 2's, although it is a slight downhill. Turned then and did the 4's with the wind at my back but up slight uphill this time, obviosly ;)
    Tough enough session by myself. Ended up leaving it at 3 sets, mad now that I didn't complete it as wasn't that wrecked or anything. Conscious that this is my first week and I have sets of 8's and K's planned for later this week, although I may drop one of them so as to ease into it.
    Splits for the reps were as follows;
    200/400m - 41.7 - 44.5 - 1:31.4
    200/400m - 45.6 - 44.5 - 1:31.4
    200/400m - 43.2 - 40.8 - 1:23.8

Going forward I will have to try to slow down on the shorter reps; that has always been my problem, speed endurance. By nice to do these on the track; am wondering if the tracks fall under the Phase 1 guidelines and will be open on the 18th? If they are opening tennis and gold clubs, surely we can adhere to social distancing on the track if there are small numbers? Have sent a query to my local one and am waiting on an answer.

Wednesday
    With the restrictions loosened a bit it was great to venture a bit further afield from the house. Felt pretty good generally but hamstring a bit tender on last mile or so, probably due to yesterdays session.

Distance - 6.7mls
    Pace - 8:34/ml

Thursday
    Had 8 x 800m on the plan in 3:12 off 2mins jog.

Was going back and forth about this. First week of intervals and at my age (:rolleyes:) I'm thinking that may be pushing it a bit. I wonder does the Daniels plan take age into consideration when devising it; will have to give it another read. :confused:
    Anyway, it turns out I was right to be concerned; pulled the plug after just 4 reps.

Splits were 3:09.5 - 3:11.1 - 3:13.8 - 3:11.9. The odd reps were slight downhill into the wind (not as bad as Tuesday) and the even reps back up the hill.

Actually started the 5th rep but went straight into my warmdown after 20-30mts :cool:............still, good to be doing them. Not sure how long I can sustain this effort though solo with nothing is sight to train for. :(

Distance - 6.24mls

Friday
    Wasn't really into getting out today. Actually had to drive over an hour to a meeting, first time wearing pants in a while :D
    Weather was so nice just felt like firing up the bbq and having a few cold ones :rolleyes: Dragged myself out all the same, even got in my stretches and upper body work. Felt ok once I got going and was good to venture further afield than the 2k limit.

Distance - 8mls
    Pace - 8:33/ml

Saturday
    Was going to take today off because of the hard week. Even had a few beers last night. Ended up in bed by 10pm, had a lie in until 8.30am, coffee, juice and a banana and was out the door at 10.20am to do my session of K repeats :cool:
    Plan was 6 off 1min rest @ 4:25 - decided to do just what I felt like as was taking it as a bonus day. Ended up with 4;
    4:17 - 4:20 - 4:03 - 4:18

Got carried away with the 3rd one; there was a guy ahead of me so I had someone to aim for, was surprised when I saw the 4:03.

Nice to get a session like that in under the belt that wasn't really planned :D

Distance - 6.4mls

• Advertisement

Monday
    Just a nice easy run on the grass mostly keeping the heart rate low.

Distance - 7mls
    Pace - 8:51/ml

Tuesday
    3 x (2 x 200m off 200m, 800m off 800m) pace was supposed to 45secs and 3mins.

Splits were:

42.1 - 43.3 - 3:12.6
    46.6 - 44.5 - 3:01.0
    44.2 - 42.6 - 3:00.8

The first 800m was up a slight drag and into the wind and I was working hard, too hard :( I could also feel both hamstrings tightening up that I haven't felt for a couple of months now. This could be a result of introducing the intervals last week combined with not replenishing enough fluids.

Distance - 8.2mls

Wednesday
    Got to run on the grass around the grounds of Kilkenny castle for the first time since March. I've a 2ml run to get there, so got to do 3 laps around the it. Ground very hard with little or no rain recently. A nice loop, one long drag, another short hill and one short steep on to make it interesting.

Did my stretches and upper body work as well.

Distance - 7.05mls
    Pace - 8:34/ml

Thursday
    am - At 8am did a couple of easy loops from the house. Beautiful, if cold, morning, nice way to wake up :D

Distance - 5.5mls
    Pace - 8:45/ml

pm - Headed to the Castle at 5pm only to find the gate locked :confused:. Just kept on going up the river. Felt really good, first time running twice in one day in a few years I think ;)
    Threw in 4 x 100m strides at the end as well.

Distance - 6.11mls
    Pace - 8:47ml

Friday
    Daniels plan had a 20min tempo, which should be currently 7:06 pace going by my 1500 TT a couple of weeks back. Was going to do it on the loop on the road that I did the 5k TT on, but decided to do it on the grass around the castle. More challenging with the hills but a better workout I think.
    Ended up hitting 7:16/ml pace, happy enough with it. Didn't check pace as I was running, went off h/r.

Finished the session with 4 x 200m off 200m jog. These were supposed to be at 45secs but were all a bit faster.

Distance - 8.24mls

Sunday

The dog had me up at 4.20am looking to go out :cool:, couldn't get back to sleep so got up at 5am, bowl of porridge and some coffee, and out the door at 6.40am. Lovely morning for a long run. Took me a few miles to wake up, but felt fine once I got going. H/R nice and low. Had tended to stuggle a lot on long runs but apart from the legs feeling a little bit weak, I had plenty left i the tank at the end of this, which is of course the way it should be for an easy run :rolleyes:

Longest week in a number of years, a little bit more than when I was training for the DCM last year :). Looking forward to building on this with more sessions. Who knows, maybe there may even be a National Masters after all :D

Distance - 13mls
    Pace - 8:43/ml

Week = 54.94mls

Monday
    An easy run on the grass to shake off the cobwebs from yesterdays long run. Felt fine.
    Got the usual strtches and upper body work in as well.

Distance - 6mls
    Pace - 8:43/ml
    AHR - 146 bpm

Tuesday
    AM - 2 laps of my loop from the house at 8am. Hadn't planned this as have my first track session this afternoon, but lovely morning and just wanted to get out, probably more for the head than anything :rolleyes:
    After 1k, the run takes me down a lovely country lane with a field at the start of it that reminds me for some reason of a field that I used to run past when I spent a summer working in Bavaria back in 1985 (been at this running lark a while ;) ) That was a beautiful run that used to take me up through forest trails, think the sound of music :).

Anyway, sweating buckets as usual with me. I have started taking Dioralyte on the advice of my coach as I have started to have problems with cramping after runs again. Also take magnesium to offset it; I like banana's but don't eat enough of them as they tend to give me indigestion.

Distance - 5.5mls
    Pace - 8:53/m
    AHR - 142bpm

PM - Plan was 5 x (2 x 200m off 200m active rec; 400m off 400m active rec). Pace was 45secs and 1:30.
    Great to be able to use the track again, was really looking forward to this. so of course it went all wrong :(
    Ended up just been able to do 3 sets; splits were:
    43.3 - 44.6 - 1:31.7
    43.1 - 43.6 - 1:30.5
    45.0 - 44.3 - 1:31.6

Felt ok on the warm up (2mls) Did my drills and strides and got stuck in. There was a stiff breeze on the back straight but that would only affect me in the 400's. First couple of 2's were ok, tried to stay relaxed. The first 400m was harder than is should have been. By the 2nd set I was already having negative thoughts and thinking there was no way I was finishing this. Concentrated on just taking it rep by rep. Only 3 others on the track, adhering to the social distancing guidelines, and they were all doing their own thing. Really wanted to push on but the heat was now starting to affect me as well (24c), so called it. Wrecked on the warm down as well.

I think with my biggest week last week for almost 4 years, and foolishly going out this morning, and the heat, I had put enough obstacles in my way to make the session more difficult than it needed to be :o
    Like I said though, good to be on the track, will take today off to recover and go again tomorrow for 800m reps.

Distance - 6.11mls

Jesus, Speedy, this seems a bit rash ,m8. Wouldn't you be better served by a couple of easy runs instead of another tough session?

will take today off to recover and go again tomorrow for 800m reps.

Jesus, Speedy, this seems a bit rash ,m8. Wouldn't you be better served by a couple of easy runs instead of another tough session?

will take today off to recover and go again tomorrow for 800m reps.

You are probably right Itz :( ........believe it or not I was already thinking about going for a run this evening; my own worst enemy.

"Hi, my name is Speedy and I am a runaholic" :rolleyes:

So after pushing it a bit too much last Tuesday with a double session, I forced myself to take Wednesday off.

Thursday
    Was scheduled to do the track, was going to leave it to be on the safe side, but I had it booked so thought it would be a shame not to use it ;)

Schedule was 6 x 800m at 3:12/ml pace off a 2min active rec.

Left it at 5:

3:13.6 - 3:12.9 - 3:13.2 - 3:10.9 - 3:07.1
    Happy enough with it considering Tuesday, these sessions are hard to do solo :(

Distance = 6.66mls

Friday
    Had intended to run but ended up having a few unplanned beers last night so took it as an excuse for a day off :rolleyes:

Saturday
    6 x 1k off 1min rest @ 4:25/k planned, and completed :)
    Splits were 4:18.9, 4:11.4, 4:21.1, 4:15.4, 4:21.6, 4:04.6

Great to finish a session, and it was the most in control I have felt to date. Didn't check the pace, just the h/r. Tried to keep it arund 160 at the start, mid-high 160's in the middle and low 170's at the end. Wasn't shattered at the end either which is good.
    I think i am now able to hold this sort of pace longer, but am still struggling when I increase it even a little bit. Still, should come with time.

Distance - 7.12mls

Sunday
    Long run at 8.20am. Was going to venture out on a long loop from the house but before I knew it I was doing my usual 2.75ml loop. I actually got a but mixed up with the shorter loop I used to do which was 1.8mls, so after 2 laps I realised I had 5 1/2mls done instead of less than 4mls :D, shows you where my head was at. Felt ok after the 3 tough sessions this week, didn't stretch before I went out though which is a habit I can't afford to get into too :mad:.

These long solo runs can be tough if I can't get myself to relax and stop worrying about it. The h/r was low and when I was thinking of other stuff I actually felt good.

Distance - 13mls
    Pace - 8:53/ml

WEEK = 44.30mls

All in all, a decent week. Down 10mls on last weeks distance but with 3 quality sessions and another long run under the belt, its not too bad.

Just to prove someone is watching: I hope those 800's were at 3:12 /km pace ?
    Hard to keep it straight when you are mixing your metric and imperial, which I also do.
    Still nice going so early on in your come-back.

Keep building the mileage too and don't let the sessions be your downfall.
    One way of doing that can be tempo/track mix like you did with 20 min Tempo +4x200m
    Good luck

dna_leri wrote: »
    Just to prove someone is watching: I hope those 800's were at 3:12 /km pace ?
    Hard to keep it straight when you are mixing your metric and imperial, which I also do.
    Still nice going so early on in your come-back.

Keep building the mileage too and don't let the sessions be your downfall.
    One way of doing that can be tempo/track mix like you did with 20 min Tempo +4x200m
    Good luck

Oops, was looking ahead to mid-late summer when I will be at that 3:12 mile pace ;)......thanks for the tip, and for keeping an eye out on me :D

• Advertisement

Monday
    Easy run on the grass, felt pretty good. For the first time in a few months I saw some other runners doing a few laps :)

Distance - 6mls
    Pace - 8:35/ml

Tuesday
    Session was 5 x (2 x 200m off 200m active rec, 800m off 800 active). Looking for 45's and 3min's.

Splits were:
    43.2 - 46.5 - 3:01.7
    45.6 - 43.7 - 3:09.2
    45.9 - 44.5 - 3:09.6
    45.0 - 45.0 - 3:10.2
    44.1 - 37.3

Tough session at lunchtime; lots of kids on the track doing a session and time trials.Finding it difficult to judge the pace, and hold it. After the first 800m I said I would just go by h/r. Disappointed with the times, but the effort was there. I have to lose at least 10lbs, and maybe need to look at doing some longer stuff at the mid-high h/r to increase overall fitness.

2 Q sessions and a long run in the past 4 days, so will take tomorrow off.

Was undecided about doing a session on Thursday or not with the Boards Mile TT scheduled for Sat. Its not really a target, am doing another one in 2 weeks where that I'd prefer to nail :D

Distance - 8.5mls

Advertisement