Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ol' 55

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Wednesday
    Well, so much for taking the day off :rolleyes:
    Had to a short run, weather was too nice, would have been criminal.

Distance - 5mls
    Pace - 8:35/ml

Thursday
    Went back and forth about what to do today with the Boards Mile TT on Saturday. While its not exactly a major target event, I still don't want to embarrass myself ;)
    The schedule has 2 quality sessions this week, with a 40min tempo and 4-6 x 200m on the cards for today. I opted for something in the middle and did 3mls on the track at a bit less than tempo and 4 x 200m off 90secs.

Splits were 7:22/155bpm - 7:20/164 - 7:18/168
    200's were 39.0 - 39.9 - 39.2 - 37.4

Nice hot day and had the track almost to myself so was able to strip down to just the shorts with scaring anyone :D. Didn't force it too much, might regreat it on Saturday but what the hell :cool:

Distance - 7.25mls

Friday
    Again thought about taking it off, but again weather too nice :rolleyes:
    Just an easy 5mls.

Saturday
    Boards 1 mile TT - 6:18 :(

Not a target, thought I was 30yrs old and could just coast through this :o

Didn't ease up in the training coming into it. Thought (and hope) I was in a lot better shape than a month ago when I ran the 5:39 1500m TT. Felt fine on the warm up and strides. Once I started though had no legs, no engine, no nothing !

Ah well, not going to get too bent out of shape about it. I know my fitness level is increasing, and I have another crack at it, on the track this time, in 2 weeks

So after last weekends disaster of a mile time trial, I decided to take a couple of days off, which wasn't easy :rolleyes:
    Back at it on Tuesday

Tuesday
    4 x (2 x 200m off 200m active recl 400m off 400m activel aiming for 45's & 90secs.

Splits were:
    42.3 - 43.3 - 1:28.3
    43.3 - 43.8 - 1:29
    43.9 - 44.3 - 1:27.3
    42.6 - 44.4 - 1:26.5

A bit faster than a couple of weeks ago, and managed one more set. Roasting hot day, striped down to the shorts, the great thing about social distancing is that there are no fine citizens to scare with your less than greek god like body :D

Distance - 7.25mls

Wednesday
    Just an easy run to loosen out the legs after yesterday. Lovely day for it again. Also did my stretching, upper body work and 3 sets of planks and leg lifts for the core.

Distance - 5mls
    Pace - 8:33/ml

Thursday
    Looking forward to this session; 4 x (600m, off 1min, 300m, off 30secs, 150m) - 3mins rest between the sets.
    Weather had cooled down so it should be easier. Pace was supposed to be hard. Just wanted to finish the session and give it a good hard effort. Didn't bother with looking at the pace at all, h/r reading on the garmin was all over the place :confused:

Splits were:
    2:06.2 - 60.2 - 28.3
    2:05.3 - 58.5 - 28.4
    2:06.7 - 61.1 - :(

Right hamstring went with about 20mts left of the 3rd 300m. Was starting to feel the lactic in the 3rd 600m, and it was a good feeling as I haven't been in a position to push myself like that in a few years.

Pissed off, hoping its nothing serious. Had planned to rest tomorrow, but have been roped in to doing 5k in a relay marathon for charity, will have to see how it goes.

Distance - 4.81mls

Friday
    After pulling up with the hamstring on Thursday, I took yesterday off as planned. Well, I did actually jog 2 x 600m as part of a marathon relay. I was able to move, so that was good, but it was more of a shuffle :(

Saturday
    I had intended 8 x 1k off 1min, recommended pace was 4:25k so nothing too scarey. Did this session 2 weeks ago with 6 reps and I came in about 10secs faster per rep.

Wasn't sure if I should even be attempting this though with the hamstring. If it wasn't for my mile timetrial next Friday I would pull the plug on it now. Decided to do the warm up and see how it goes.

It wasn't too bad, better than yesterday. Took me a bit to get going in the strides.

Ended up leaving it at 4 reps; 4:32 - 4:11 - 4:15 - 4:15.

Could have pushed on, but both hamstrings felt very tight and didn't want to risk doing some serious damage. H/r on Garmin was all over the place, but breathing felt fine. The min rec was more than enough.

Distance - 6.1mls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Like I asked Kate on her log, pulled hamstring Thursday and workout Saturday..

What are ye drinking/! :eek:

I pulled my right hammer 2 years ago and did a session too soon. Got through it but the hammer went on the next workout. Its a balancing act...

• Advertisement

Like I asked Kate on her log, pulled hamstring Thursday and workout Saturday..

What are ye drinking/! :eek:

I pulled my right hammer 2 years ago and did a session too soon. Got through it but the hammer went on the next workout. Its a balancing act...

I know, I'm my own worst ememy :rolleyes:
    Have a timetrial on Friday that I was targeting, hoping to just get through that and then have a bit of a rest for as long as needed. From prior issues, I don't think its too too serious, but at the same time, I don't want to make it serious..............bloody balancing act :(

So after doing my hamstring about 2 weeks ago, and foolishly plodding on like a stubborn 12 year old, I then ended up doing my calf last Tuesday :o:mad:

After doing half a session of K reps on Saturday the 6th I Sunday off.

Monday
    Just did an easy run to see how the hamstring was holding up. Managed to get through it ok without too much discomfort. Just took it nice and easy though, didn't force it at all.

Distance - 5.5mls
    Pace - 8:33/ml

Tuesday
    With my mile timetrial on Friday in mind, I wanted to just do an easy session to see how I was holding up. I felt fine in the warmup and after dropping a few pounds over the last few weeks, actually felt light and a spring in my step, and a smile on my face, in the warm up :)

Beware false dawns :cool: Opted for a mini pyramid; 200-400-600-400-200 with 2-3mins rec at around my mile pace.
    As I said, not the best plan; splits were:
    43-86-2:09.....and pulled up with a very sore right calf. Felt it on the 2nd of my 3 strides, again, I should have called it but .....

Friday
    So after lots of stretching and ice, I headed for the track for my mile Timetrial. The aim all along had been sub 5:30. Was happy enough with the way training was going, hit my highest weekly mileage in 4 years a few weeks back, had some good quality sessions under the belt, did a 1500m timetrial about 5 weeks ago in 5:39 off just base training. I knew it was a big ask to take off about 30secs but in the back of my mind I would have been happy with a good solid effort, even if I only ran a 5:40-45.

Of course I was conscious of both the hamstring and now the calf injuries.

Calf started to get sore about a mile into the warm up, and continued to get progressively worse to the point where I was virtually hoppling when I got back to the car. With my new spikes in hand, the sun shining, and the track booked, I still thought, maybe I can run through it :o
    The smarted thing I did all day, actually probably in the past couple of weeks, was to jump into the car and drive home to drown my sorrows with a few birthday drinks.

Will take this week off, continue to stretch and ice, and do my upper body work, and see if I am ok to start back next Monday. I wouldn't mind but the club sessions resumed last week and its killing me not be there after 3 months of training solo.

I know I need to concentrate on strength and conditioning work; the hamstrings haven't been right in over a year, never quite 100%. May just combine the s&e work and go back to buiding a base. Not sure if the Nat. Masters will go ahead, probably unlikely, but even if they did, don't think I have the time now to get where I need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Happy birthday and good call. Smart call. Was it bottom of hamstring? Top of calf? Could be the same issue. Otherwise 2 separate issues on one leg. Defo a week off and take that same smart approach back. Its frustrating, I know only too well. Last time 2 years ago I went back to tempo too early and though I could run, I was dealing with the issue (hamstring/glute) for 4 months. This time around I'm on day 10 and hoping to do a tempo fresh on day 26 with nothing but easy easy running and S&C between now and then.

Have you access to a physio?

Happy birthday and good call. Smart call. Was it bottom of hamstring? Top of calf? Could be the same issue. Otherwise 2 separate issues on one leg. Defo a week off and take that same smart approach back. Its frustrating, I know only too well. Last time 2 years ago I went back to tempo too early and though I could run, I was dealing with the issue (hamstring/glute) for 4 months. This time around I'm on day 10 and hoping to do a tempo fresh on day 26 with nothing but easy easy running and S&C between now and then.

Have you access to a physio?

Cheers shotgunmcos. The ham was probably around the middle, I think it was tightness (I hope).Have been strecthing now regularly for about 4-5 months after the visit to the physio earlier in the year with same issue. I think I just overcooked it on one session, and like I said, I don't have the s&e work done that I probably need.

So after taking the last 9 days off completely, I tried a short run today. Had way too much beer on Sat night after seeing the family for the first time since Christmas, think I still felt it today :rolleyes:
    Was only going to do 4mls, managed 2.5mls :(
    Both hams felt tight from the off, and didn't really loosen out. It was managable though and i don't think it was an injury, just general tightness. H/R was in the low 150's, its normally in low 130's for easy runs. Unfortunately the right calf went again at 2mls. Will ice it again this evening and start on my stretching and s&e program this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement