Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How accurate do you think the official death numbers worldwide are?

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I got as far as seeing that this is based on a "Mail on Sunday" piece ... and stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Thread title says death numbers, OP says case numbers.

There probably is/was many more cases than reported in China but that’s the same everywhere. As for death numbers that’s impossible to know. How do they determine cause of death? Is it the same as here? We have no idea if the numbers are good or not. I personally think the truth is that they had a few million cases a few more thousand deaths but it’s pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd be questioning the African numbers for a start. How well is it reported over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The UK is under reporting death at present, was discussed on BBC and C$ news k=last night, (if they count)
    The response from UK Gov was that once all the death certs are collected....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The UK is under reporting death at present, was discussed on BBC and C$ news k=last night, (if they count)
    The response from UK Gov was that once all the death certs are collected....

Every country is under reporting the deaths, the UK seems to be the only government that acknowledges this and has tasked the Office for National Statistics to address this.

Numerous reports from several countries of people, especially the elderly, who aren’t going to hospital and prefer to die at home and therefore aren’t included in the official numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I dont believe for a second that the numbers for Pakistan and India are so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Aegir wrote: »
    Every country is under reporting the deaths, the UK seems to be the only government that acknowledges this and has tasked the Office for National Statistics to address this.

Numerous reports from several countries of people, especially the elderly, who aren’t going to hospital and prefer to die at home and therefore aren’t included in the official numbers.

ONS are stating UK figures could in fact be 25% higher as deaths at home now are being categorised as 'underlying illness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Fann Linn wrote: »
    ONS are stating UK figures could in fact be 25% higher as deaths at home now are being categorised as 'underlying illness'.

I thought those sort of deaths are being added in a weekly manner not more regular briefings. On the deaths thing still skeptical of German figures but less so after reading some stuff elsewhere (before I flat out didn't believe them).

Fann Linn wrote: »

Which is still fairly accurate. Does anyone really think Italy or Spain have ACTUALLY overtaken China.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont believe for a second that the numbers for Pakistan and India are so low.

I am sceptical too ... on the other hand the most vulnerable there may already be dead without the benefits of extensive medical care before coronavirus could get to them from their conditions or previous infections.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You have to wonder what the real number of deaths is so far at a global level.
    There is no data from North Korea.
    A recent report suggests China had four times as many cases as they reported officially.
    Apparently the UK doesn't count deaths in nursing homes.
    In Ireland Catherine Murphy has cast doubt about the official figures, pointing to a disproportionate increase in death notices.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/look-at-the-death-notices-catherine-murphy-casts-doubt-over-death-toll-rise-explanation-995721.html

Russia's figures seem low and I suspect they are being ubder-reported. I suspect a lot of under-reporting from many countries with high levels of corruption or just poor capability when it comes to diagnosing cases.

Advertisement