Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queues in supermarkets - Limerick vs Newcastlewest vs Charleville?

• 31-03-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So I am around Patrickswell and the shops are pretty normal around here, but there are a few food things I miss - not because of corona, they are just not stocked normally except in Lidl/Aldi. Need to go shopping so, but I hear there have been large queues in Limerick after Saturday's announcement.

Have these queues now subsided or is it still crowds in Lidl/Aldi in Limerick?

And also - how about Newcastlewest and Charleville, which can also be easily reached from here? Are the queues smaller/absent in any of these towns?

(I know Charleville is in Cork but asking in two forums would probably be overkill)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I haven't been in Aldi or Lidl recently but yesterday Dunnes (both city centre and Jetland) had decently long queues to get in early in the afternoon, if that gives any indication.

The queues do move fast though and once you're inside it's quiet so easy to get around.

I'm not sure if Aldi and Lidl have the same system or would be as busy. I'd probably say to go earlier in the morning if that's an option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Tesco in the Crescent does be quiet enough late in the evening. (after seven or eight or so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've been to Dunnes Jetland several evenings around 5-6pm and found it pretty quiet and easy to shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

0 cues in Dunnes parkway at 10 am today very very quiet!
    Almost fully stocked too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's all about timing. I find that after 6pm most evenings is usually quite with Dunnes and Tesco so the controlled entry queue moves fast enough. Thursday through Saturday is normally busier as people tend to get paid at the end of the week so do their weekly shop then. Of course that all goes out the window when new lock down measures are introduced. People tend to panic and run to the supermarkets straight away causing long queues but it dies down again a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

No queue in the city centre Dunnes at midday today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's all about timing. I find that after 6pm most evenings is usually quite with Dunnes and Tesco so the controlled entry queue moves fast enough. Thursday through Saturday is normally busier as people tend to get paid at the end of the week so do their weekly shop then. Of course that all goes out the window when new lock down measures are introduced. People tend to panic and run to the supermarkets straight away causing long queues but it dies down again a few days later.

Ye had to laugh the evening of the ‘lockdown’ all the videos surfacing of lengthy queues. These people are not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

The car park for Supervalu Castletroy was the quietest I have ever seen it on Sunday afternoon and Monday lunchtime. A few dozen cars in the car park.

Advertisement