Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But WHY do we need to flatten the curve? (anxiety warning!)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hmmzis wrote: »
    In my mind these sort of results would explain the anomaly that is Sweden and some former Soviet countries where the CFR values are much lower than almost everywhere else.

What is it that is anomalous about Sweden's numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you see this explaining the anomalous countries? (If they exist, Sweden is starting to look bad... :/ )

Ok, should have clarified what I meant by anomalous. The Swedes have implemented alomost no restrictions, advising only on general hygiene and telling the older and vulnerable to try and isolate as much as they can. So a very lax approach. In turn their stats are (were?) basically like for all the other midfield countries. In my mind, going by Italy and Spain, they should have been seeing lots more dead people.

With the data from Germany it's a bit less of a mystery as the indications are that the infection rate is much higher and the lethality much lower.
    Basically, it spreads more among the socially active at crazy speeds (human contact is main mechanism for that), they tend to be the young and healthy ones predominantly. So not much fatalities.

The older and vulnerable population could still get hit hard if it gets spread fast enough for a significant portion of the population to be infectios at the same time. I would assume people in Sweden would still pay a visit once in a while to their parents and grandparents, especially if the visiting people do not have any symptoms of a desease.

That's really just my train of thoughts, might well be that a carrige got left behind somewhere.

Advertisement