Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline refund

Options
  • 31-03-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I really don't know where I stand with this. I have flights booked with ryanair for next week. They are still flying to the destination and are therefore refusing a refund.
    However, the DFA advises against all non-essential travel overseas until further notice.
    The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises against all non-essential travel overseas until further notice. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship.

I have travel insurance with the AA and not sure if they will cover a claim for this as the airline is still flying to the destination. I cannot get through to the AA as they don't seem to be taking calls - understandably.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you have any luck with this? I have a return flight in May to Manchester with Ryanair. At the moment they have Dublin-Manchester listed as still operating. I'm hoping they ground all their flights so I am entitled to a refund. They offered me a chance to rebook but I don't want to do that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

If the flight goes you can't get a refund. You'll have to see if your travel insurance covers you instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MKelly1122

Did the flight go? If they cancelled it they must refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The Government really need to step in and cancel these flights. However I thought I heard Shane Ross was looking at a get out clause for airlines. Id say he is under severe pressure to look after them.

We have flights booked for my son and daughter to Glasgow for 4 pipe band events between now and September. The events are now cancelled so we just hope Ryan air offer refunds or vouchers. The flights were cheap enough so not overly bothered however We have 1 flight booked for family (4) to New York at end of May and at this stage I wouldnt go there anyway so am hoping Aer Lingus will cancel that flight. We saved hard for this and it would be a serious loss to us. They have already offered us vouchers which I would accept and use elsewhere at some stage in future.

Hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i think if all airlines had to issue refunds we could see a lot of them going bust and 1000's of people losing their jobs and the customers would not see full refunds anyway in that event.

there is a fine line here between consumers and the airline, as netiher party caused this issue. I think issuing vouchers rather than refunds would be a good compromise, keeping the businesses afloat where possible and giving some redress to the customer.

• Advertisement

i think if all airlines had to issue refunds we could see a lot of them going bust and 1000's of people losing their jobs and the customers would not see full refunds anyway in that event.

there is a fine line here between consumers and the airline, as netiher party caused this issue. I think issuing vouchers rather than refunds would be a good compromise, keeping the businesses afloat where possible and giving some redress to the customer.

Then they need to offer a voucher above the cash price, to entice customers to accept. They can’t have an interest free loan just because it suits them, and they most certainly can’t flaunt the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Time wrote: »
    Then they need to offer a voucher above the cash price, to entice customers to accept. They can’t have an interest free loan just because it suits them, and they most certainly can’t flaunt the law.

The biggest problem I have with the voucher, is you are getting a voucher for goods that have a variable price that is set by the people giving you the voucher.

I have flights between A & B in May and they cost E100. The cancel and give me a voucher of E100. If I go to rebook the same trip for May of next year, they can just set the price to be E200, I can't shop around and the voucher expires. It's nuts.

If airlines want people to give up their rights and take vouchers they should be trying to make them more appealing.

- Longer expiry date (5 years is the minimum if we bought vouchers)
    - Bigger value, some are offering 110%, I think it should be more than this. Some arent offering anything
    - You should be able to use the voucher for the same trip regardless of the cost difference. Keep it someone what similar if you have to (midweek flight for midweek flight)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don’t think the regulation was brought in with a global pandemic in mind. If everyone tries to get money back from the airlines and travel agents at once the whole lot will go bust. There needs to be give and take on both sides.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don’t think the regulation was brought in with a global pandemic in mind. If everyone tries to get money back from the airlines and travel agents at once the whole lot will go bust. There needs to be give and take on both sides.

The problem is the Airlines aren't interested in give, only in take.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

i'm in the same boat as a lot of people:

Family of 4 booked flights to Orlando Departing June 1st

No change fees is only applicable for flights up to May 31st

Insurance will not cover me because they say its a pandemic and its in their T&C's this is not covered.

So at the moment i have 3 options

- Travel as planned to Orlando. Non runner from a safety and advisory point of view
    - Change flights at a cost of 100 per leg per person (800 in total)
    - Lose the flight, cost of 2500.

Really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Would the small claims court be an idea if pans out i have no other options only to lose the money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Irishder wrote: »

Insurance will not cover me because they say its a pandemic and its in their T&C's this is not covered.

- Travel as planned to Orlando. Non runner from a safety and advisory point of view

Really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Would the small claims court be an idea if pans out i have no other options only to lose the money?

4th option:
    - wait til Aer Lingus update their travel advisory information and change FoC?

Batgurl wrote: »
    4th option:

When do you reckon that will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

When do you reckon that will happen?

I don’t work for Aer Lingus so I have no way of knowing. Some time between now and 31 May I imagine?

But there are no time constraints on your first 3 options so why the rush?

Small claims wouldn’t apply here, because you’ve the option to travel but don’t want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

anyone know how long it's taking for Aer Lingus to issue vouchers? I applied for mine March 23rd.

Batgurl wrote: »
    4th option:
    Small claims wouldn’t apply here, because you’ve the option to travel but don’t want to.

Do i really have an option to travel if the government are advising against it

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Been on hold to online chat with Ryanair this morning. Waiting an hour and a half so far for them to reply

Advertisement