Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SsangYong Korando - how would it compare with Toyota RAV4?

Options
  • 31-03-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Is SsangYong KORANDO any good? The features seems to be super + 5 yr warranty.

https://ssangyong.ie/korando/

How would it compare with Toyota RAV4 and cars in the same segment?

Resale value? Reliability?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Have never driven one and it might be a job finding someone who has they are rare go on a good test drive and you can judge for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealer network is tiny too and mostly scattered on the east side of the country which might be a challenge for servicing and warranty work. Resale value wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Toyota as they are simply not on people's radar, are an unknown quantity and those that may be interested in one will mainly be so if they are cheap to buy used.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t get it, if you want cheap and nasty, buy a Duster for way less.
    Resale value on the Duster is phenomenal.

That said, they’re not a Rav4, Tiguan etc rival, and they’re significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

You get what you pay for. If something is cheap it’s usually for a reason.
    I think Skoda were perhaps the only marque to successfully go from cheap to mainstream but they started making very good cars for less than the competitors.
    In saying that if your not too bothered by it all and you can save money then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This is the 3rd model Korando I think now and they have been proven to be reliable. I think t is a good looking car but wish they had been more adventurous with the dash. The last model had a more stylish dash. It has done fairly decent in the UK and with a recession on the way now should do better. I would say take the 24 hour test drive and see what you think and then make up your mind. I have seen a few around and they are slowly getting more common. A recession should work in SsangYong's favour if the cars are price right, have good deals and they advertise right.

Also its about time they had a website here. I gave u looking as it always said under construction.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AMKC wrote: »
    This is the 3rd model Korando I think now and they have been proven to be reliable. I think t is a good looking car but wish they had been more adventurous with the dash. The last model had a more stylish dash. It has done fairly decent in the UK and with a recession on the way now should do better. I would say take the 24 hour test drive and see what you think and then make up your mind. I have seen a few around and they are slowly getting more common. A recession should work in SsangYong's favour if the cars are price right, have good deals and they advertise right.

Also its about time they had a website here. I gave u looking as it always said under construction.

As of yesterday, they sold 7 in Ireland in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wonder how many of those were actual private registrations.

If it's a good value suv you want the Suzuki vitara isn't bad neighbour's have one they look the part and should be reliable

colm_mcm wrote: »

More exclusive than a BMW i8

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those were actual private registrations.

According to the figures 6 were private regs.

• Advertisement
    Ms

According to ''Honest John'' who a lot of people rate as very good the SsangYong Korando is very good.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ssangyong/korando-2019/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

TestLink wrote: »
    Is SsangYong KORANDO any good? The features seems to be super + 5 yr warranty.

https://ssangyong.ie/korando/

How would it compare with Toyota RAV4 and cars in the same segment?

Resale value? Reliability?

Absolutely no comparison. No direct experience of either but looking at online reviews and pics the Rav4 looks bigger for starters, much better finished, stylish, more modern and up to date technology sold by a large and respected dealer network. It’ll cost about €10k more but money well spent imho. Even a good used RAV4 would be a far better bet, and they e always been hugely popular so resale will be strong. Particularly on the new hybrid ones. I always think it’s wise to spend a few bob more to get a better car- often turns out to be a complete false economy otherwise.

Toyota hybrids are performing very well- again a nice big 2.5 l very well rated engine vs some unknown 1.5 l in the Ssangyong. No comparison I’d wager

Not surprised. Looking at their ads the bones of €30 k for a 1.5 l one. They don’t look particularly well finished, big or even attractive and likely sold from sone portacabin selling them on the side. Why the hell charges this money and uses old fashioned keys and not buttons? Cheap and old fashioned.
    Dacia make a far better bet if you want to save a few bob and not be short changed and get actual value.

Ms

They deserve to do better.
    Here is a great review of the Korando,

https://youtu.be/c5IJsDnZRK4

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Wouldn't bet on them being around for much longer
    They have been circling the drain financially for while and are now in receivership.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2021/01/129_303174.html

They deserve to do better.
    Here is a great review of the Korando,

https://youtu.be/c5IJsDnZRK4

They really don't- the pricing and package is woeful for the money. Much better find a good deal with an established mainstream marque.
    Ssanyongs prices need to be massively cut for them to stand any comparison.

Ms

ongarite wrote: »
    Wouldn't bet on them being around for much longer
    They have been circling the drain financially for while and are now in receivership.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2021/01/129_303174.html

I think they will come out of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

i seen one 211 in my estate in Galway. the owners upgraded from some sort of newish Peugeot abortion

Ms

Notch000 wrote: »
    i seen one 211 in my estate in Galway. the owners upgraded from some sort of newish Peugeot abortion

Any chance if a picture? You could post it here and in the 211 thread.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Any chance if a picture? You could post it here and in the 211 thread.

No

• Advertisement
    Ms

Notch000 wrote: »
    No

Awe go on go on go on you know you want too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Brother's wife has a, i think 141, Korando.

I haven't been in it much, but I gave it a spin when she first got it, out of curiousity. I think it's class. As the brand is practically unknown, she got a good deal on it. It's very comfortable and it has the tall seating position, good bit of space, and the spec is pretty good on hers (all heated seats, sensors, electric everything yada yada).

Hers is also orange, with the side steps and such, so it looks good. Considering hers is spec'ed so well, I can only assume it was a demo model at one point.

If I was in the market for an SUV and it was priced right, I'd have no issue with getting one.

Advertisement