Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould/Moss on back garden wall

Options
  • 31-03-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hello, has anyone any ideas on how to get rid of this mould/moss like growth on the back wall of a garden that does not get Sun.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Obviously we can only see a tiny portion but it might be better with it than without it, do you plan to paint or something ?

Anyway.
    Bleach mixed into water and spray it on will kill it. 5% should be plenty strong enough.

It will need removing when dead though, probably power washer.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

_Brian wrote: »
    Obviously we can only see a tiny portion but it might be better with it than without it, do you plan to paint or something ?

Anyway.
    Bleach mixed into water and spray it on will kill it. 5% should be plenty strong enough.

It will need removing when dead though, probably power washer.

Thanks. I was thinking of plastering and then painting white. I'm open to suggestions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wouldnt go white, but there is a recent thread on here with ideas about good colours for garden walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

You might need a few applications of moss/lichen based spray to kill all. Then power wash to clear, then plaster. If ok I wouldn't paint, will keep going green so it'll be a never ending cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would lime whitewash be a better option.
    You could remove the moss and whitewash without plastering. The lime would also resist further mould and moss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with the others, if you plaster and paint it it will grow more algae or moss like the stuff that is on it at the moment. I wouldn't find that offensive, but power washing it and painting it with lime wash as is would be more successful than plastering.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Thanks everyone. I will remove and white wash as suggested. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Blowheads wrote: »
    You might need a few applications of moss/lichen based spray to kill all. Then power wash to clear, then plaster. If ok I wouldn't paint, will keep going green so it'll be a never ending cycle
    Patio Magic will keep it at bay, once you have removed the existing growth.

Advertisement