Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations on 3rd party controllers similar to the Pro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got a PowerA controller from Smyths a few months ago. Started drifting last week, so I won't buy that brand again. Only €20 so I don't feel too hard done by.

That controller looks good! I just ordered it. Delivery by the end of next week. I can manage handheld or joycons until then.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

SN30 pro + supposed to be good. But I see the price has gone up ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Got a wireless GameCube style controller from Smyth's for 20 quid. I make the kids use it but none of them complain. No issues other than its battery life isn't tracked by the Switch and it turns on its warning led ages before they actually run out. AAs I think. The button layout is a bit weird if you're used to the Pro though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Get the 8bitdo usb dongle and you can use xbox, PS4 and Wii U Controllers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks folks, watched a few reviews of the 8BitDo controller gets good reviews plus it's very much like a DS4 in layout. Btw microsd cards I take it 256GB class 10 should be the minimum size to go for or would 128GB be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Depends on how you plan on buying your games. I buy mostly physical for big games. Go digital from smaller/indy games. So for a long time (about 2 years or more) the 128gb was enough for me. Eventually upgraded to 256gb so I wouldn't need to worry about uninstalling games. And I needed the 128gb card for another device so it was a good excuse to upgrade.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thanks folks, watched a few reviews of the 8BitDo controller gets good reviews plus it's very much like a DS4 in layout.

I have the SN30+ as well its good but can be a pig to pair at times

Rew wrote: »
    I have the SN30+ as well its good but can be a pig to pair at times

Pairing seems to be a common issue for 3rd party controllers from the reviews I've seen, do you have to pair it Everytime you start the switch?
    The Bluetooth dongle does the motion control in a DS4 work with the switch would you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

I have a 8bit SF30 pro that works great with my switch. I also have had no issues using it with steam on my macbook. Would highly recommend if you have a preference for a SNES style of controller.

on the 128GB vs 256GB, Nintendo Games tend to be small. Other games... not so much. If you buy LA Noire on Cart it still takes up more room than 3 full downloads of Splatoon. Diablo was around 30GB, Fifa 18 was about the same, 7 or 8 for Bayonetta. Mortal Kombat is in the twenties I think. So bigger is better. I have a 200GB card since day 1 but I've ended up ditching Diablo, Fifa, Doom and a few others that I might otherwise have gone back to to make room for shinier newer things.

You might be thinking "Ah sure I'll switch cards" - you have to power off the Switch to do that, and that's the only time I ever power off my switch! I ended up losing the secondary 128GB SD because it was tiny and it fell out of the netting in my carry case. Shudda kept it in it's SD converter... But the point is, switching is not trivial and will be a turn-off, so games on that SD may well end up being neglected. In most cases a 256GB card is roughly twice the cost of a 128GB card, I'd say just bite the bullet and go big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Banjo wrote: »
    on the 128GB vs 256GB, Nintendo Games tend to be small. Other games... not so much. If you buy LA Noire on Cart it still takes up more room than 3 full downloads of Splatoon. Diablo was around 30GB, Fifa 18 was about the same, 7 or 8 for Bayonetta. Mortal Kombat is in the twenties I think. So bigger is better. I have a 200GB card since day 1 but I've ended up ditching Diablo, Fifa, Doom and a few others that I might otherwise have gone back to to make room for shinier newer things.

You might be thinking "Ah sure I'll switch cards" - you have to power off the Switch to do that, and that's the only time I ever power off my switch! I ended up losing the secondary 128GB SD because it was tiny and it fell out of the netting in my carry case. Shudda kept it in it's SD converter... But the point is, switching is not trivial and will be a turn-off, so games on that SD may well end up being neglected. In most cases a 256GB card is roughly twice the cost of a 128GB card, I'd say just bite the bullet and go big.

I have an old classic controller pro from the Wii days so I got this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JLF9PVG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_fRnHEb4VVK8EX

And I have a PS3 controller so I got this

https://collectiveminds-uk.myshopify.com/products/switch-up-game-enhancer-v2-0

They're both due this week so I'll let you know how they go

Cool! Wavebird into that into the switch - think of the button lag RANGE! I could play Overcooked from the other end of the garden, if I'm ever sequestered in the shed for self-isolating purposes!
    (I've tonnes of GC and Wii controllers lying around though, that is a beeeeyooootiful little bit of kit.)

In the end I went for the official pro controller and a 256 MicroSD card from Amazon UK, both in stock but with the free shipping delivery is gone out to the 20th April.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

In the end I went for the official pro controller and a 256 MicroSD card from Amazon UK, both in stock but with the free shipping delivery is gone out to the 20th April.

You chose wisely.

Lots of folk ask about cheaper Pro Controller alternatives - the best answer is to just get the official one (save up if necessary). :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You chose wisely.

Lots of folk ask about cheaper Pro Controller alternatives - the best answer is to just get the official one (save up if necessary). :)

Counterpoint - I have two broken pro-controllers (drifting) on the table beside me.

*shrug*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Mr E wrote: »
    Counterpoint - I have two broken pro-controllers (drifting) on the table beside me.

*shrug*

:eek::eek:

Wear and tear or you let children use them as frisbees? :D

The only problems I've had have been with the Joycons not the Pro, replaced them with the Split Pad Pro and wouldn't go back.

One is wear and tear from me. Started drifting downwards. Probably 18 months old.

The other was my nephews. He said it was drifting and gave it to me to try and fix. Haven't looked at it yet, but I know it is drifting.
    Probably about 18 months old too.

this is actually a good controller for the money - have one.

has motion and vibration just no nfc.

I researched recommended good value third party controllers

if you are in no rush you can get it for 1/2 the price again on aliexpress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Joystick-Vibration/dp/B07TF6R7X8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=switch+controller+wireless&qid=1586122952&sr=8-4

3ad24bb2-abf2-412a-8d81-5e38d7cacc16.__CR0,0,150,300_PT0_SX150_V1___.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Highly recommend of you have a PS3/4 or XB1 controller lying around, very easy to use etc

Delivery for the other yoke got pushed back to next weekend

Have a switch on the way hopefully and interested in getting a controller similar to the PRO plenty of options on Amazon UK just wondering has anyone on here experience of this one from Maegoo for example
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DDB6B4K/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_IW0GEb43QKC8C

I ordered this a week ago and it arrived today. Only played a quick blast of Valfaris with it, but it's a nice controller. Good weight to it, nice D-pad and works well. No complaints. :)

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    this is actually a good controller for the money - have one.

has motion and vibration just no nfc.

I researched recommended good value third party controllers

if you are in no rush you can get it for 1/2 the price again on aliexpress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Joystick-Vibration/dp/B07TF6R7X8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=switch+controller+wireless&qid=1586122952&sr=8-4

3ad24bb2-abf2-412a-8d81-5e38d7cacc16.__CR0,0,150,300_PT0_SX150_V1___.jpg

one more thing about this one is that if you connect it by usb cable to a pc it shows up in windows 10 as a wired 360 controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Any of these controllers support a headset and mic?

Advertisement