Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers 'returning' prematurely from sick leave!

• 31-03-2020 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Are teachers currently allowed to return from sick leave before the stated time.
    I've seen a few posts in VFT where subs were let go (previously told they would be working till June) because a teacher has decided they are fit to return early from sick leave (despite schools being closed).

Is that allowed? Seems a bit sharp practice to me if so.

Subs are getting rightly screwed at this time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

approved leave like parental leave etc, you cannot cancel. Sick leave, by its nature, is day per day/week per week. The only issue I would see is that someone returning off sick leave would be expected to do their job remotely like the rest of the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sick leave certs are usually only renewed weekly or monthly. A gp may not be willing to sign someone off any longer if they can work from home. For example, a broken leg is one of the most common reasons for extended teacher sick leave, but that would no longer be an issue for remote teaching. Voice problems is another common issue that takes time to resolve - again, not a reason to be signed off from remote teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I saw that one VF too, seems awfully unfair on the sub, the person on sick leave was meant t to be out until June and now is back to work because the schools are closed....I can understand why it’s happened but it’s so unfair on the poor sub teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

solerina wrote: »
    I saw that one VF too, seems awfully unfair on the sub, the person on sick leave was meant t to be out until June and now is back to work because the schools are closed....I can understand why it’s happened but it’s so unfair on the poor sub teacher.

I would agree on the unfairness of the situation, but I was that teacher with the broken leg this time 2 years ago and I was out for 10 weeks, which ran over the February midterm and Easter holidays (well prepped for weeks of staying indoors).

If I was in that situation now, and it was clear we weren't going back to work before my leg healed, I wouldn't be looking for any more sick certs if I could work on my laptop from home as I am now. Especially when that sick leave is on your record for four years.

It is crap for subs, but no one is going to stay on sick leave if they don't have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

When you are sick for a number of days they send you to Medmark. Medmark ask questions and in my case asked me when do I think I will be fit to return. You tell them x date or no date in my case....I was going on maternity leave.

If you feel you can return to work sooner you must get signed in for by your gp in agreement with Medmark.

You get those social welfare certs off your gp anyway (I think they are weekly) and need to send in a final cert for your last week.

The other Sick certs are just for your work to prove you were sick basically. The maximum time they can last for is 28 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If I was in that situation now, and it was clear we weren't going back to work before my leg healed, I wouldn't be looking for any more sick certs if I could work on my laptop from home as I am now. Especially when that sick leave is on your record for four years.
    This, to be honest, especially the last part. I’m simply not willing to take time off anymore unless absolutely necessary, and by that, I mean that I am unable to work. Not that I’ll be feeling crap and probably doing a bad job - only if I’m physically unable, or think that not doing so will result in me becoming physically unable.
    Whoever’s bright idea to punish all of the teachers (or all of those employed by the state) just because some people used to use sick leave as paid holidays is to thank for that. I’m not risking not being able to pay my mortgage if something happens that keeps me out of work for a few months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Considering that if you miss a Friday and Monday, the weekend is also counted as sick leave, you wouldn't be long clocking up quite a lot of leave. If you have to meet with Medmark, there can be quite a wait for an appt, so that's another issue. I've been that sub and I've been that teacher, yes, it's not nice on subs, but since we are being punished for the few taking the pee, every day counts.

Advertisement