Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on old house

Options
  • 31-03-2020 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I have had differing advice and I wondered whether anyone can answer my question.
    I am looking at an old, stone built cottage in need of work. It has an extension dating ack to the 1960s made of poured concrete.
    I don't want to extend the footprint of the house but want to renovate what is there, make good any superficial cracks, rewire, replumb, insulate, new windows, repair the existing roof, use the exsting septic tank. Do I need to get the planning department involved?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Assuming rural property

1. Is the property lived in? Or When was it lived in last?

2. Does it have an ESB ‘live’ connection?

3. Is the septic tank/waste treatment unit listed with the Coucnil?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dtj1956

Thanks Bryan
    Yes it is a semi rural property being on a main road about 2 miles out of a small town.
    The house has not been occupied for 10 years or so.

I'm not sure but I presume the electricity isn't live although the house is connected to a nearby pole.

I don't know about the status of the septic tank - I presume it is old but there is plumbng in the house - kitchen sink, bath, 2 toilets and shower which are connected to a waste system.

I know this is a bit vague but I have not yet een able to investigate the property fully and the current owner, who is the next door neighbour, is elderly and not sure.
    What do you think?
    Cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Based on what you have stated,

The only way I’d proceed without engaging with the local authority,

Assuming you’ve had conflicting ‘professional’ arch/eng/surveyor advice,

Ask them for a letter stating in their professional opinion, that planning is not required..

This is the kind of query that you’d need to understand the site to comment, but if it’s empty 10 years.. it could be considered derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dtj1956

Thanks for the advice Bryan.

Advertisement