Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY/Builder suppliers Open for Delivery?

• 31-03-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of any hardware/DIY shops operating a delivery only service that can be ordered and paid for online?

Thanks,

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi,

Does anyone know of any hardware/DIY shops operating a delivery only service that can be ordered and paid for online?

Thanks,

Mac

If they are they aren't supposed to be. Look at screwfix. They didn't just shut their stores. The Irish site is shut too as is Woodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was going to recommend https://www.handyhardware.ie/, but their site is down.
    Goodwins: https://www.goodwins.ie/ is not operating online until the 15th April.
    Chadwicks: https://www.chadwicks.ie/covid-19-update "a limited number of branches are providing a delivery service strictly for products of essential business maintenance and HSE projects ONLY"
    Brooks: https://brooksgroup.ie/ - Emergency only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Fair enough I know, but I think there is scope for delivery drivers to operate independently in and out of these yards picking up and delivering supplies. Online shopping controlled and processed by employees working from home. Zero contact service is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

McLaughlins homevalue Carandoughna Co Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Uk sites are still delivering and deliveries/post are still in place, so you could order something from the North and you should get it, though it may be delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

GreeBo wrote: »
    Uk sites are still delivering and deliveries/post are still in place, so you could order something from the North and you should get it, though it may be delayed.

Who would you recommend in the north for delivery down to here

Who would you recommend in the north for delivery down to here

I don't have engine off the top of my head, but I got some light stuff in the post from Belfast last eeek

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eildar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Depends what you’re looking for. Micksgarage is still open/delivering and sell some diy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fair enough I know, but I think there is scope for delivery drivers to operate independently in and out of these yards picking up and delivering supplies. Online shopping controlled and processed by employees working from home. Zero contact service is very possible.

Online shopping processed by employees working from home.

How the fk does someone working from home load 2x4 into the back of a transit...

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Online shopping processed by employees working from home.

How the fk does someone working from home load 2x4 into the back of a transit...

Read the part about the delivery drivers working alone from the yard.
    You sound a little emotional. It was just a suggestion all the details there. Relax.

lenehens.ie are still delivering (according to their website anyway)

scratch that, checkout function is now disabled!

GreeBo wrote: »
    lenehens.ie are still delivering (according to their website anyway)

Thanks. Ill check it out here now. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Read the part about the delivery drivers working alone from the yard.
    You sound a little emotional. It was just a suggestion all the details there. Relax.

delivery drivers tend to be 3rd party, few providers have their own drivers (maybe single vehicle in most cases)

and drivers wouldnt be permitted driving forks etc.

This is basic stuff tbf. You seem not to know how providers operate? emotional? nah silly head just worked in these places before. lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Lenehans have been turning on and off the checkout according to how much they can handle. It was off the other day, on again Sunday (so I ordered what was ahnging out in my basket) and off again. Half the order arrived today, so no excuses now for turning over the raised bed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

That wouldn't really work though. For those that don't have an online ordering system, taking Cardholder not present transactions is already something that needs 2 person authentication in store so not sure that would work with employees working from home.
    To get set up to process online payments requires a lot of background work if you're handling the card details yourself and if not, then good luck getting on to any of the companies hosting those facilities at the moment.

As for the yard itself - the majority of delivery drivers are independent contractors and it would be a complete breach of the companies health and safety to allow them free reign into what can be a very dangerous area. They'd also have to have side-loader or forklift licences to get a lot of the products. And loading single handed is not a good practice for most of what would be big enough to be delivered. So you'd have to have the yard workers from the business in and social distancing wouldn't work when trying to load a vehicle with 2 people.

Basically zero contact purchase is not possible. That's why most have shut down completely. That and they only have remit now to provide emergency services or to priority construction sites as listed on the governments website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Lenehans site open for orders again now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Lenehans site open for orders again now

They changed the notice but did they actually enable checkout? - I tried at 7 this morning and there was still no checkout button.

Update: the notice has changed again since this morning to say that checkout is closed again - dang, I must have missed a very brief window of opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think these are open. Tradesmen only collect from branch but the general online store is open I believe. 3 to 5 day delivery

https://www.mcmahons.ie/?fbclid=IwAR3ANTZGpvap5Txm6dbk0O-6sXKYOkOybQtxy0m8fNrVJbz_9kEuCr00yYg

Advertisement