Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QFAs

• 31-03-2020 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Could anyone advise me on QFAs? What is the difference between doing them with LIA or IOB? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Hi OP, I did the QFAs with IOB. Not sure what the actual difference between the two are, other than usually if your employer is paying for the exams they will more than likely only offer you one company or the other.

IOB, in my opinion, have excellent training material for all modules (including online tutorial videos, etc). They also hold a full 1 day seminar usually a few weeks before the exam which really helped me. I passed the 6 modules all first time, IOB are excellent in my opinion.

Unfortunately I know nothing about LIA.

Good luck with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Hi OP, I did the QFAs with IOB. Not sure what the actual difference between the two are, other than usually if your employer is paying for the exams they will more than likely only offer you one company or the other.

IOB, in my opinion, have excellent training material for all modules (including online tutorial videos, etc). They also hold a full 1 day seminar usually a few weeks before the exam which really helped me. I passed the 6 modules all first time, IOB are excellent in my opinion.

Unfortunately I know nothing about LIA.

Good luck with them!

Thank you!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Same qualification but different categories. LIA is Life and Pensions. IOB is banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I did them with LIA, don't think it makes any difference to you in the end just your employer may be affiliated to one or the other depending on sector.
    They're pretty handy too to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

I did them with LIA, don't think it makes any difference to you in the end just your employer may be affiliated to one or the other depending on sector.
    They're pretty handy too to be honest.

Thanks I’ve just started a job with Ulster Bank so I’ll see what they say. I’ll have time off in the summer from college to study for them, is there any you suggest grouping together or doing first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Gal2glam wrote: »
    Thanks I’ve just started a job with Ulster Bank so I’ll see what they say. I’ll have time off in the summer from college to study for them, is there any you suggest grouping together or doing first?

I did Loans & Regs together, followed by Life, followed by Pensions & Investments together, followed by Financial Planning. I did them within 12 months.

I think they are very manageable exams and a lot of cross over. The 1 day workshops were a life saver for Pensions, Investments and Financial Planning especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gillka92

Hi would anyone have past exam papers for regulation ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NelsonBeeches

Hi , Please if you managed to get any past papers I would be grateful if you could share with me please?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LorcanMull

Gal2glam wrote: »
    Could anyone advise me on QFAs? What is the difference between doing them with LIA or IOB? Thanks

Hi, im interested in taking the QFA exams, although i'm not from a financial background (Electronic Engineer) I have a strong interest in investments and pensions and banking in general.

Did you do the course? Which one did you choose?

Are there jobs out there for people who completed the QFA without a finance BA?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

LorcanMull wrote: »
    Hi, im interested in taking the QFA exams, although i'm not from a financial background (Electronic Engineer) I have a strong interest in investments and pensions and banking in general.

Did you do the course? Which one did you choose?

Are there jobs out there for people who completed the QFA without a finance BA?

Many thanks.

With your maths background I'd look at doing the CFA. A lot would be hired into quantitative finance from a maths background.

QFA would be mainly for client facing staff and wouldn't be based around the background analysis really, but you would easily get a job in branch with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LorcanMull

With your maths background I'd look at doing the CFA. A lot would be hired into quantitative finance from a maths background.

QFA would be mainly for client facing staff and wouldn't be based around the background analysis really, but you would easily get a job in branch with it.

Are there any courses that are part-time (like QFAs) in this discipline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

LorcanMull wrote: »
    Are there any courses that are part-time (like QFAs) in this discipline?

Not sure but everything would be available here. 3 exams anyways.

https://www.cfainstitute.org/en/programs/cfa

Advertisement