Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R Kings and other car raffles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Is it just me, or would it be fair to say now that R kings have kind of ran out of steam lately? Looked at their website for the first time in ages over the weekend, and stuff seemed to be moving very slowly.

Have people moved on to another crowd or given up altogether?

You start counting all the tenners you've spent and win nothing you just stop bothering, also there was awful lot of tat up, pub in a snug, gold chains ,not to most people's taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You start counting all the tenners you've spent and win nothing you just stop bothering, also there was awful lot of tat up, pub in a snug, gold chains ,not to most people's taste

Yeah, I've spent over 100 euro in the past few months on various competitions, might be time for me to stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Think people might be just spending their money in pubs again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I just browse on it, I don't really gamble, but a lot of tat on it lately, nothing to tempt in a casual customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Yeah, I've spent over 100 euro in the past few months on various competitions, might be time for me to stop!

+1

Dropped similar and FA to show for it

Time to consider spending my brass else where

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Being honest tempted to tryit..waiting for a good prize or lower odds ones
    Altho seems to be alot of crap the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did the vrt office go off the book value or the dealer value if they were different?

They went off the book value according to the dealer, who said it's a waste of everyone's time getting a valuation done on the vehicle in those circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭capefear

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

I've probably €150 spent on various raffles, nothing to show for it of course.

A 1 in 900 chance sounds a lot better in your head than it does when you see your own name written along side 899 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

A guy i know won an RS6 on it recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

According to their Facebook. The guy who won the Ferrari a few weeks back also won an Audi R8 a few months ago. Jammy bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Boscoirl wrote: »
    According to their Facebook. The guy who won the Ferrari a few weeks back also won an Audi R8 a few months ago. Jammy bastard

Lucky Hunt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That one has me tempted. Already VRT'd as well. That would potentially be a keeper, at least for a little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

How many tickets are these people buying, I've heard stories of lads spending hundreds per raffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

A chap that delivers pizza near me won a c class merc recently. Delighted for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Neilw wrote: »
    How many tickets are these people buying, I've heard stories of lads spending hundreds per raffle.

I've seen companies publish the list of entrants and there are fellas regularly buying 4-5 tickets at €20 a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Rkings put the list of entrants on Facebook. You get a real feeling for your odds when you scroll down through the list looking for your name.

Neilw wrote: »

Think it's fallen back a bit since the football and racing came back but I've heard of People buying 10-20 tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

gary550 wrote: »
    Lucky Hunt :D

I just saw that. I know/knew him, sound lad, played football over here for us a few years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Noah G

There are other pages in Ireland that are good save paying the conversion rate . Alot of the prizes on R Kings have gone up to 2 -3k entries so its getting harder to win ,

Iv notice other pages the max entries are below 1k
    Will we looking at them and do the odd R kings competition .

Alot of new pages doing the same , how easy is it to set it up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Noah G wrote: »
    There are other pages in Ireland that are good save paying the conversion rate . Alot of the prizes on R Kings have gone up to 2 -3k entries so its getting harder to win ,

Iv notice other pages the max entries are below 1k
    Will we looking at them and do the odd R kings competition .

Alot of new pages doing the same , how easy is it to set it up ?

To be legal you would need a lotteries licence which RKings have I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've spent about €200 (or one good night out) there since covid and won nothing.

Seems legit though, they publish the names and do the draw live on google random numbers.

grayzer75 wrote: »

How do you know if others have a lottery licence?
    Can I look then up to make sure they are legal .

I'd say there is a good few that dont have the licence wouldn't really know if they did or not. seems like there doing good

Any other good companies?Id be tempted if i saw something good and ok odds
    The Dewalt power tool set up now might be my first only 195 entries and 6.50 a ticket

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How do you know if others have a lottery licence?
    Can I look then up to make sure they are legal

They're not running as lotteries, they're competitions with paid/free entries which just about skirts around the gaming/lotteries stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

capefear wrote: »

won by a 23 yr old Student in Galway..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Aron722

Would be interesting to know where these competition pages get the cars, top of range cars , do they just get them off garages and done deal .

I know the bundles they do like tools and consoles are just bought online for around 1k or under then sell 450 tickets for 10 euro each , make a good profit.

Aron722 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know where these competition pages get the cars, top of range cars , do they just get them off garages and done deal .

I know the bundles they do like tools and consoles are just bought online for around 1k or under then sell 450 tickets for 10 euro each , make a good profit.

They are mainly linked to Top Gear NI (who are linked to high end car dealers in the UK) but do use a couple of other dealers like Executive Cars NI. It works very well for all concerned by the looks of it.

e.g. they get a lambo via Top Gear NI worth 120k and sell 150k worth of tickets = 30k profit for RKings (which they pay tax on), but if the winner can't afford to keep the lambo they will offer to buy back and maybe offer 80k cash so that's another 40k to be split between Top Gear NI and RKings for use of the car which then goes back on the market for the original 120k somewhere else (possibly back in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

They are mainly linked to Top Gear NI (who are linked to high end car dealers in the UK) but do use a couple of other dealers like Executive Cars NI. It works very well for all concerned by the looks of it.

e.g. they get a lambo via Top Gear NI worth 120k and sell 150k worth of tickets = 30k profit for RKings (which they pay tax on), but if the winner can't afford to keep the lambo they will offer to buy back and maybe offer 80k cash so that's another 40k to be split between Top Gear NI and RKings for use of the car which then goes back on the market for the original 120k somewhere else (possibly back in the UK).
    Pretty much spot on. They also buy older performance stuff off Facebook & Donedeal and a lot of people just offer them their cars for quick sale.

• Advertisement

Aron722 wrote: »

So they just buy tool sets , hoildays and consoles online and just sell enough tickets to make a profit, seems pretty easy thats why you see alot of others doing it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Harper91

Pretty sure you dont need a license if your competitions are upwards of 5k if they go over that you need a license not sure how you go about it quick Google search will tell you . Wouldn't say its that hard to get one .

Then just register your business make a website/ Facebook page get people to like and share your page to get more followers.

Away you go .

Harper91 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you dont need a license if your competitions are upwards of 5k if they go over that you need a license not sure how you go about it quick Google search will tell you . Wouldn't say its that hard to get one .

You won't get one. I can't think of any raffle prize competition operators that have one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Harper91

Graham wrote: »
    You won't get one. I can't think of any raffle prize competition operators that have one.

Exactly so you can go ahead and start a competition business

Harper91 wrote: »
    Exactly so you can go ahead and start a competition business

Assuming you can find a payment processor willing to take you on and you're ok jumping through hoops, nothing to stop you.

Graham wrote: »
    Assuming you can find a payment processor willing to take you on and you're ok jumping through hoops, nothing to stop you.

So do you need a license to open a competition business or not ? If so where can you get one ? I can't see anything online so must not be one . I would say alot of the competition pages use PayPal for payment .

So do you need a license to open a competition business or not ? If so where can you get one ? I can't see anything online so must not be one . I would say alot of the competition pages use PayPal for payment .

Competitions skirt around the edges of the gaming legislation, so for avoiding scrutiny.

None use Paypal, any that have tried come to a very abrupt end.

So is R Kings legal?Any similiar companies in Ireland?

They haven't been found to be not legal.

Similar operations pop-up (and down) in ROI and NI frequently. There's an assumption it's a license to print money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Not a car but they are doing a draw for 100k today. Crazy that it sold out in 3 hours, 5195 tickets at £25 a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I think they will be having a black Lambo up soon. Saw one driving around the Camlough/Bessbrook area of Newry today. Nice sound on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Johner wrote: »
    Not a car but they are doing a draw for 100k today. Crazy that it sold out in 3 hours, 5195 tickets at £25 a ticket.

I actually think they make bigger margins on cars then cash. 23% on this, but once to add up taxes, payment provider fees etc. it will be less then people think. Said that, still a very nice moneyspinner.

DubDani wrote: »
    I think they will be having a black Lambo up soon. Saw one driving around the Camlough/Bessbrook area of Newry today. Nice sound on it.

Caught a glimpse of it going through Bessbrook yesterday evening - some roar out of it.

The black lambo was still spinning about at the weekend, it will probably make an appearance online this week coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

DubDani wrote: »

It's an Aventador and I'd say it will be up later this week.

millington wrote: »
    It's an Aventador and I'd say it will be up later this week.

Yeah seen it yesterday some machine, very wide and low.

Seen the Lamborghini again tonight, the reg is LJ12 EUW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭capefear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thankfully the winners don't have to pay tax on the cars like they do in America. If you win a car or anything like that in a raffle you have to fork out tax on winning it as far as I know.

Advertisement