Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnproblem

Options
  • 31-03-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Doing some work on our lawn now we have a bit of time. The lawn has a lot of moss as most gardens probably do. Am in the process of scarifying. Lots of thatch and moss has been removed but I am left with lots of patches that looks like a different grass that looks brown in colour. I don't think it's dead because by mid summer these areas will be the first to show signs of looking underfed. The lawn gets scarifier every year and sprayed for weeds as well as getting treated with lime as it's pH is quit acidic. I suppose I am looking for opinions as to why the brown areas are there and can I do anything to remove them. Thanks in advance for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

This is what it looks like in patches...

This is what it looks like in patches...

Attachment

Another pic

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

If this was beneath the moss then most likely senesced grass tillers or rhizomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Coralcoras wrote: »
    If this was beneath the moss then most likely senesced grass tillers or rhizomes.

This.

If you remove heavy thatch/moss then when you cut the grass you are cutting off most/all of the grass plant leaves and are left with the brown bit. This brown bit is usually just above the soil and so never exposed after a cut.

Removing the moss/thatch layer means you mower is effectively cutting lower than it has been. Your lawn will recover over the next 2-3 weeks.

You dont appear to have m/any bare soil areas, so no need to topdress or overseed at this point.

If you havent had rain recently, watering will do no harm, but fertilize/feed first.

Thanks for the message. I know with time and a feed it will come back. Bit worried it was an invasive grass of some type. Do you think I should cut lower or rake it more

You never want to cut more than 1/3rd of the length of grass at one time as it stresses the plant.

I would go deeper with the scarifier in the brown spots, you should be seeing soil and not just matted brown/dead grass matter.
    This thatch layer is pretty waterproof so once the weather gets hotter and dryer any grass growing on top of thatch dries out and looks stressed.

I'd also look at aeration in those areas (or really the whole lawn)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you’ve removed a significant amount of material already I’d hold off.

Let the grass recover it’s strength again. We’re still having frosty nights and harsh cold winds with little grass activity.

I’d add a light feed, let the grass grow a bit and then assess what you want to do.

_Brian wrote: »
    If you’ve removed a significant amount of material already I’d hold off.

Let the grass recover it’s strength again. We’re still having frosty nights and harsh cold winds with little grass activity.

I’d add a light feed, let the grass grow a bit and then assess what you want to do.

+1

If you post a pic of what it looks like now that you have completed scarifying, especially some closeups of trouble areas it will make it easier to give sound advice.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply.
    Finished the lawn. Pretty much looks scalped. Gave it a light feed of fertiliser. Hoping for a few showers in the next few days. It will get a light top mow in about 10 days

Few more pics
    The worst brown patch.

Advertisement