Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference By Pointer Bluescreens

Options
  • 31-03-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I've been having the odd ref by pointer bluescreens lately, usually not while gaming. I've got the latest Radeon drivers so I don't think it's that.

Anyone recommend a good driver update tool that actually works in the free version? Downloaded Driver Easy but nearly all useful functions are blocked without buying it. Don't really fancy paying 40 dollars for something I'll only need once in a blue moon.

What do you guys use?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I've been having the odd ref by pointer bluescreens lately, usually not while gaming. I've got the latest Radeon drivers so I don't think it's that.

Anyone recommend a good driver update tool that actually works in the free version? Downloaded Driver Easy but nearly all useful functions are blocked without buying it. Don't really fancy paying 40 dollars for something I'll only need once in a blue moon.

What do you guys use?

Does the BSOD name the faulting module, maybe take a photo of it next time and also post here. I was getting this recently with part of the security add-on to my Acronis backup system, where the module name helped me track it down. Being hearing other things about anti-malware software not playing well with other drivers, particularly newer updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't use any third party security software, just Windows Defender.

I'll keep an eye out for module details if (when) it happens again.

No info provided apart from

Stop Code: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

From past experience this is usually driver related, the last time I hadn't updated my Radeon software in an age. It's up to date now though so I'm thinking it must be some other outdated driver causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I have had those REFERENCE_BY_POINTER BSOD before on a machine,Imo its usually the graphics drivers..uninstall all your radeon drivers from your drives then do a clean install of fresh up to date drivers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

2ndcoming wrote: »
    No info provided apart from

Stop Code: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

From past experience this is usually driver related, the last time I hadn't updated my Radeon software in an age. It's up to date now though so I'm thinking it must be some other outdated driver causing it.

First thing I'd do is check if there is a dump file and analyse, should help pinpoint the faulting module. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

This is a great tool for drivers. I use it regularly.

https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

use DDU to uninstall your display drivers and then install from scratch

Skerries wrote: »
    use DDU to uninstall your display drivers and then install from scratch

This did the trick perfectly, thanks!

Advertisement