Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greenland - A Gerard Butler Disaster Movie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched it last night, I thought that was brilliant to be honest, really enjoyed it. Excellent characters, pacing and tension. Absolutely a predictable ending but it felt realistic and scary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So apparently there's a sequel on the way, which is kind of a shame given it was a nice once-off surprise; the story didn't need a follow-up IMO. Difficult to know what success here was, given everything that happened in 2020. No domestic box office with a paltry $53 million worldwide: but obviously the studio saw enough potential to greenlight another film. No mention of budget on boxofficemojo, but it wasn't especially FX heavy, with no real stars to speak of ... maybe $10 million? I dunno, that's pulled outta my áss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It was a big VOD hit apparently. While none of this stuff is publicly available, IndieWire estimates the studio took in a 60-80 million profit thanks to digital rentals, streaming rights deals etc…

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/stx-greenland-pvod-hit-exhibitors-existential-threat-1234617593/

Given that sort of profit on a relatively modest budget for a disaster movie… yes, you can see why they’re eager for a sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd well believe it was a successful on VOD. A starved market and good word of mouth to the effect of "it's surprisingly decent" would have done wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Butler was born for Olympus Has Fallen, he is a bit wooden for me otherwise

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The distribution rights to Greenland: Migration was just bought by STX for $75m

While the film itself is costing close to $70m to make.

Butler & Baccarin will both return.

The original made about $55m at the VOD/Box Office on a budget of $35m.

Advertisement