Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Subsidy Scheme Issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So then she’ll have motor tax, insurance, fuel, maintenance costs to pay for. If she buys from a dealer they’ll be paying tax too. All money that will go back into the economy. And in order to pay for the above, she’ll probably go back to that part time job as she can’t get other welfare whilst a student.

should be giving 1000 a week, the economy would be booming

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The money is going back into the economy to keep the lights.
    In an ideal world.

A lot of it will go to pay off outstanding bills, debts and credit cards.

should be giving 1000 a week, the economy would be booming

She’s a student. She was working at the weekends. This emergency payment won’t be forever.

Wish everyone would stop having a downer on those that lost jobs. They aren’t the long term work shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I know a good few better off now , not working than working! Delighted, take everything you can get! They have been handing out ridiculous amounts and free housing to many for decades. the more these workers take, the less will be handed out to the parasites!

And and back the OP, while I agree with it in a way, of course recently unemployed, it shows you the idiocy of our system, many other countries already have it linked to previous salary! of course linking what you paid into the system, to what you get out for a period, would never fly in this banana republic, certainly not with the govenrment which has lied about rewarding work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So then she’ll have motor tax, insurance, fuel, maintenance costs to pay for. If she buys from a dealer they’ll be paying tax too. All money that will go back into the economy. And in order to pay for the above, she’ll probably go back to that part time job as she can’t get other welfare whilst a student.

Good point, it will be putting money back into economy which will be badly needed when its all over but this can be said for most of us the only money im spending is on food, no petrol, no take aways, my bank account is looking alot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Just remember I believe this is taxable so when people eventually go back to work come whenever this payment will be coded into their details and when Revenue will do the statement of liability for 2020 next year this will be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The 350 a week...applicable to anyone no matter what they were earning previously.

So part time worker on minimum wage doing 25 hours a week, previously taking home 250 euro, now taking home 350 from the government.

Just wondering is Ireland the only country in the world stupid enough to make people better off on welfare than when they were doing some work? Everywhere else seems to tie it to previous earnings. Is Regina Doherty the stupidest human being of all time?

This will have consequences. Not just direct cost. Good luck to restaurants trying to re-open in May, where are they going to get staff if those staff better off on dole!!

What an effin begrudger.

Think of the additional stresses on people. Some may not have a job ot to back to (Debenhams), others may have extra expense especially if they have kids and need to keep them entertained.

But most of all it ensures people will adhere to request of staying put without the worry of paying the basic bills and if giving a fair amount and getting the subsidy out quickly (it was done super quick) means some people will get an extra few bob or a small few will scam it, well so be it.

The vast vast vast majority of people deserve it and appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

surprised they arent giving it to the long term unemployed here too! RTE will be going mad!

I deal with grocery shops, and they are currently have huge issues retaining staff. large numbers of part timers have left and signed on to the government scheme. They dont need any documentation etc from their employer , all people have to do is claim that covid 19 means they cannot work. The scheme is completely bonkers and was a typical Irish Govt knee jerk reaction to a crisis. The result of this, is that afterwards, 350 euro per week, will become the new minimum wage in many peoples mind. I honestly believe it will be a catastrophie for the country

You don't qualify for the covid payment if you have voluntarily left work. Claims are being reviewed before getting approved, and someone claiming to have been laid off from an essential grocery store would raise a red flag. Even if they were to get through now, there could be ramifications down the line when these cases are being reviewed more thoroughly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭tscul32

I worked part time and am getting more now than I was when working. It does feel a bit odd, but the reality is that my job will not be one of the first ones back as it involves groups and physical contact. I'm pretty sure I won't be back before the 12 weeks is up. If it takes too long the business may never come back. I wont qualify for the dole either so this payment might be all I'll get this year.
    Overall though, I'd rather be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

She’s a student. She was working at the weekends. This emergency payment won’t be forever.

Wish everyone would stop having a downer on those that lost jobs. They aren’t the long term work shy.

I wasn't having a dig at her,I was having a dig at your description of the boost to the Irish economy from her getting the 350 a week. It sounds like the ultimate stimulus package that everyone would be so much better off that I suggested giving more.

The_Brood wrote: »
    What's sick is how little full-time employed workers in entry level positions get paid in Ireland, both in public and private service. That's what makes this situation a complete mockery. If 350 a week is the bare minimum needed to survive, why are you paying the bare minimum of survival for people who are working full time? It's amazing how Ireland is championed as some kind of progressive global paradise when few countries screw lower earners worse than this.
    actually we are once of the fairest countries for low paid workers.

Those on minimum wage pay ZERO tax.

Have a wee look at other countries. I can't think of one that has a zero tax rate for full time people on minimum wage

Many on minimum wage are part-time / students, housewives who don't want full time work. Those that work full time at minimum wage have a whole range of other supports they can apply for if they qualify

Idbatterim wrote: »
    surprised they aren't giving it to the long term unemployed here too! RTE Sinn Fein shills will be going mad!

I've corrected that for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

This thread is really derailing. It is supposed to be about the wage subsidy scheme and associated issues but it appears loads of irrelevant stuff is being posted or merged.

What was an informative and helpful thread is becoming a political sess pit. Please take you politics to the political forum or other relevant thread.

Let’s get this one back on track and stick to the wage subsidy scheme.

I wasn't having a dig at her,I was having a dig at your description of the boost to the Irish economy from her getting the 350 a week. It sounds like the ultimate stimulus package that everyone would be so much better off that I suggested giving more.

Ok.

Just want to add that that student would probably have been working more than one day this weekend if things were as they used to be. Colleges would have closed for Easter and tourists a plenty. So 350 may be close to what many many students earned in the same period last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭collsoft

Seve OB wrote: »
    This thread is really derailing. It is supposed to be about the wage subsidy scheme and associated issues but it appears loads of irrelevant stuff is being posted or merged.

What was an informative and helpful thread is becoming a political sess pit. Please take you politics to the political forum or other relevant thread.

Let’s get this one back on track and stick to the wage subsidy scheme.

I totally agree Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Whether or not students should get the pandemic payment is irrelevant to this thread.

I will be paying April salaries next week and hoping the system is in place on 20th as mentioned before by Revenue to provide the amount of the maximum subsidy for each employee so no guessing.

How are payroll staff getting on with weekly wages calculations and are the subsidies being paid promptly by Revenue as promised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Can you apply for a top up to bring you to the €350( which would be almost my weekly wage)

Getting the 70% means I'm actually down €100 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

tina1040 wrote: »
    How are payroll staff getting on with weekly wages calculations and are the subsidies being paid promptly by Revenue as promised?

I have had one employer submit 2 weeks so far and each week the payment from Revenue came within 2 days and also it agreed with the amount expected.

• Advertisement

tina1040 wrote: »
    Whether or not students should get the pandemic payment is irrelevant to this thread.

I will be paying April salaries next week and hoping the system is in place on 20th as mentioned before by Revenue to provide the amount of the maximum subsidy for each employee so no guessing.

Hi Tina,

It looks like Revenue will not be moving to the Operational Phase (Phase 2 in the FAQ) on the 20th as originally planned.

There are a number of items in the primary legislation which requires Ministerial regulations, but these have not been signed as yet.

One of them is the exact amount of subsidy available to an employee where the Average Net Pay is between €586 and €960. The amount of €350 which is currently being used is not actually specified in the legislation and is something that must be specified by the Minister in regulations.

Stratvs wrote: »
    I have had one employer submit 2 weeks so far and each week the payment from Revenue came within 2 days and also it agreed with the amount expected.

That is absolutely correct, but one thing people need to make a note off is that last Friday and yesterday were not SEPA banking days so anything submitted to Revenue since last Thursday morning is only going on today's bank file and will take up to two working days to process.

So if you made a submission to Revenue on Thursday the 9th April then the earliest you will be paid is tomorrow, and perhaps even Thursday.

FYI, in today's bank file there are

11K Employers
    85K Employees
    40 million of subsidy payments
    4 million of PAYE/USC refunds

And there are still a number of employers who have not given Revenue the correct bank details and cant be paid!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Getting some excellent queries from some clients! One director believing he should be receiving the wage subsidy refund from the revenue in addition to his salary lol you can’t make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IRtax

This is the hidden problem employers paying ‘100%’ of net average pay does not equate to 100% net to the employee if the wage subsidy didn't exist at the end of the year. A lot of people don’t see this. Also people not being put on week one basis means that getting tax back when shouldn’t will end up with about 2k-2.4k tax bill at the end of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

I have seen cases where employees were paying the employer for the pleasure of working. The employees were laid off at the start, a month ago. They did a weeks work and the employer grossed them up to their normal net pay. The tax refund results in a negative gross pay.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

If my employer has been inputting the wrong gross pay can this be rectified in subsequent weeks without breaching the "can't top up to more than nett salary" rule?

What they have done is take the €350 top up, used my tax rebate and USC rebate and added enough gross salary to balance at my usual nett weekly wage. From my reading of the scheme, they will be rebated the €350 and also my tax and USC rebate that I haven't received. If they had used the correct top up, my rebates would have been less but should still have been paid to me on top of my nett wage?

The employer has committed to full top ups for the 12 week period. I am concerned if they try to sort this out, it will result in a clawback of any perceived excess by Revenue because they have got it wrong for the past 3 weeks.

Can anyone clarify for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Siobh73 wrote: »
    If my employer has been inputting the wrong gross pay can this be rectified in subsequent weeks without breaching the "can't top up to more than nett salary" rule?

What they have done is take the €350 top up, used my tax rebate and USC rebate and added enough gross salary to balance at my usual nett weekly wage. From my reading of the scheme, they will be rebated the €350 and also my tax and USC rebate that I haven't received. If they had used the correct top up, my rebates would have been less but should still have been paid to me on top of my nett wage?

The employer has committed to full top ups for the 12 week period. I am concerned if they try to sort this out, it will result in a clawback of any perceived excess by Revenue because they have got it wrong for the past 3 weeks.

Can anyone clarify for me please?

I would expect any tax/usc/prsi refund should have been paid back to you as it was deducted from you in previous periods

The_Chap wrote: »
    I would expect any tax/usc/prsi refund should have been paid back to you as it was deducted from you in previous periods

Correct, any Tax/USC due to the EE is not to be taken into account by the ER in arriving at the gross used. The ER is to use the top up amount as gross taxable pay. If that, because it may be under normal tax credits etc. produces Tax/USC refunds then unless the EE is on W1 basis then that should be paid to the EE in addition to the normal net calc. ( part 4.12 of the FAQs )

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/documents/pmod-topics/guidance-on-operation-of-temporary-covid-wage-subsidy-scheme.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

So what happens to those who are in Category 3, over 960euro/week?
    Their company doesn't pay them, social welfare does?
    If this is the case, are these employees officially off the companies books?
    Will they have to pay back the tax on their Social welfare payment?
    Very confusing.

• Advertisement

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    So what happens to those who are in Category 3, over 960euro/week?
    Their company doesn't pay them, social welfare does?
    If this is the case, are these employees officially off the companies books?
    Will they have to pay back the tax on their Social welfare payment?
    Very confusing.

If the employer engages in the TWSS then there is no subsidy for those cases.
    If the employer lays them off then they can claim the PUP/JSB.
    The PUP/JSB is taxable. If there is no other income at all then tax credits ( not being used as not being paid) will be available and will in many cases cover any tax due.

Advertisement