Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Subsidy Scheme Issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

Seve OB wrote: »
    Remember the TWSS Rec which had to be done at the end of October?

Delayed again until after January, due to the current lockdown.

They will however accept your own calculated TWSS repayment and off set it against the final settlement figure. See Revenue's TWSS guide on how to repay the money.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

tina1040 wrote: »
    :)
    As the employee, whether or not the employer claims EWSS has nothing to do with you. Revenue will figure out what's to be paid to the employer.
    I do wages for an employer and I don't check whether our part time staff have a second job or are claiming social welfare payments. That's what the payroll software linked with ROS is for. The RPN takes account of tax credits which take account of other employments and social welfare payments.

I'm well aware that as an employee it is not my business what subsidies the employer is claiming. But I think you might be missing the points.

It's nothing to do with credits, social welfare payments, RPN's, or even second jobs. It's about claiming the subsidies and I'm responsible to claim the subsidies for the employers in question. I'm also on the payrolls..... or at least hope to be.
    I was just trying to be creative.

anyway it doesn't matter, pickyourname above has given me the required information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Employees will be notified tomorrow of their tax bill
    Overall, the data released by Revenue this evening shows that 80% of taxpayers' statements are balanced, overpaid or underpaid by less than €200, while 706,000 taxpayers are due a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Or they would be if the Revenue site was working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Does anyone know where on the revenues site we can see this bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭mea_k

Managed to log in after hour of trying.... Still says will be ready after 15th. Starting to give up. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Go into review tax 2017-2020 and select request statement of liability. I owe around 1 grand, wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

mea_k wrote: »
    Managed to log in after hour of trying.... Still says will be ready after 15th. Starting to give up. Now.

Same for me. Think it's because submitted the return earlier in the week hoping that would speed things up. It's had the opposite effect...

I did it earlier this morning and it worked, was slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I did it earlier this morning and it worked, was slow though.

Does it appear in “unread documents” ?
    cant see mine yet, website taking ages to load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Spruce_moose__

Just checked my statement of liability for 2020 and I owe €1150. I'm confused as when I was on the wage subsidy scheme ( while still working full time, no changes ) I was given my usual weekly net pay. I was still down the usual amount as if I was paying tax, so now I feel like I'm paying tax twice ? Does that make sense or am I looking at this the wrong way?

logged into my account on revenue
    i can see nothing, where do you need to go to view it?

doesn't help that the site is moving at snails pace :(

Does it appear in “unread documents” ?
    cant see mine yet, website taking ages to load

Click on "Review your tax 2017-2020" then click view on Statement of liability

Click on "Review your tax 2017-2020" then click view on Statement of liability

nothing there for me
    all i can do is view my payroll details

Seve OB wrote: »
    nothing there for me
    all i can do is view my payroll details

Website seems to be a shambles at the moment, I'd leave it a while and try again later

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

I was still down the usual amount as if I was paying tax, so now I feel like I'm paying tax twice ? Does that make sense or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Nope, you're pretty much spot on there.

Interesting times to come for employers around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Alan_007_ wrote: »

It's Revenue who will have a problem to sort out. Employers did as they were told to operate the scheme and for many it was a lifesaver to stay in business and save jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I went in to the system at 7:30 this morning and I owe nearly 3k.

I worked the full 52 weeks last year, my employer got to pay me 25% less the way TWSS operated, and I owe 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

kazamo wrote: »
    I went in to the system at 7:30 this morning and I owe nearly 3k.

I worked the full 52 weeks last year, my employer got to pay me 25% less the way TWSS operated, and I owe 3k.

Dam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id suggest people make a spreadsheet of all their worked hours, employers "top up" and the weeks that they were paid TWSS.
    According to revenue I owe over half of what I recieved in TWSS. Which on its own , fair enough I owe tax, its how my employer used this to pay me that really doesnt sit right, it works out less than what revenues "guidelines" were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

tina1040 wrote: »
    It's Revenue who will have a problem to sort out. Employers did as they were told to operate the scheme and for many it was a lifesaver to stay in business and save jobs.

Not disagreeing with you.

Still though, you'll have a lot of cases where employees were put on the scheme, worked every week last year and ended up coming out with less than their gross contracted pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jamesy002

A lot of employers used employees tax back to pay them instead of refunding the employee the tax at the time . This happened before revenue advised to put employees on Wk1. Some employers I feel believed they couldnt refund the tax at the time because the rules where that you couldnt be paid more than normal salary ,although tax back was separate to this rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

First time I have ever agreed with Sinn Fein, that given the payment was a subsidy to get you back to your net wage, it should have been treated as a tax exempt payment.

Because I have a rental property, I don't seem to be able to avail of the collection over 4 years and will have to suffer s lump sum payment of €1,300 along with tax on any rental profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus wept, I'm seeing some people owing over 4k on their statement of Liability from revenue on other threads.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Not disagreeing with you.

Still though, you'll have a lot of cases where employees were put on the scheme, worked every week last year and ended up coming out with less than their gross contracted pay.

Same . The employer made a saving but the employee ended up with a lower gross salary and a liability despite not receiving more than normal net pay.

Grossly unfair and goes against the principle of tax bring administered fairly. Revenue should imo write off the tax given the pandemic circumstances and the how poorly they administered the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Happy4all wrote: »
    Same . The employer made a saving but the employee ended up with a lower gross salary and a liability despite not receiving more than normal net pay.

Grossly unfair and goes against the principle of tax bring administered fairly. Revenue should imo write off the tax given the pandemic circumstances and the how poorly they administered the scheme.

But wasn’t it designed to keep business afloat? There must be plenty of people on the PUP this last few months who would much prefer to still be in a job and pay a little extra tax over 3/4 years.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    But wasn’t it designed to keep business afloat? There must be plenty of people on the PUP this last few months who would much prefer to still be in a job and pay a little extra tax over 3/4 years.

I'm not sure it was designed to penalise employees though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

A little off topic but I think this will now set the wheels in motion from next year on where all PAYE employees will have to make tax returns ( similar to self employed individuals ) essentially closing the net on alot of 'loose' earnings each year.

tomwaits48 wrote: »

It was primarily aimed at businesses that had to close. But I'm talking about employees who carried on working full-time, probably doing extra hours, being down on gross salary, on same net pay and a liability now of over €1k. Can revenue not do something for these employees?

• Advertisement

Happy4all wrote: »
    It was primarily aimed at businesses that had to close. But I'm talking about employees who carried on working full-time, probably doing extra hours, being down on gross salary, on same net pay and a liability now of over €1k. Can revenue not do something for these employees?

I have to agree and sadly its been widely reported many, many businesses suffered no loss and employees then put on these schemes and seeing a serious reductions in gross salaries. I guess if enough question assessments something might be done but I'm not holding my breath.

Advertisement