Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Subsidy Scheme Issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I have to agree and sadly its been widely reported many, many businesses suffered no loss and employees then put on these schemes and seeing a serious reductions in gross salaries. I guess if enough question assessments something might be done but I'm not holding my breath.

The issue is with employers, not Revenue.

The real issue is that I've no doubt that many employees haven't realised their wages were actually reduced, without their agreement.

As an employer who played by the rules, I'm not sure it would sit well with me that on top of the actual subsidy, Revenue would subsidise those who abused the system by reducing employee wages without their consent even more and just write off the tax owed. I think some mechanism would have to be found (which mightn't be possible), where the shortfall is clawed back from the employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

And also remember employers have saved huge amounts on employer PRSI with this scheme. As usual, it's the ordinary Joe that gets screwed.

Was on it myself for a few weeks in a part-time job but they paid gross wage instead of net so no idea where I stand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Will revenue actually check if all these companies were down 30% turnover?

Surely they can't let it go without checking.

Could end up been a massive scam that the workers end up paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Will revenue actually check if all these companies were down 30% turnover?

Surely they can't let it go without checking.

Could end up been a massive scam that the workers end up paying for.

Revenue have been doing compliance checks for a while now and they have other ways of checking, such as TWSS reconcilations, corporation tax returns, vat returns etc.

If an employer has been found to be abusing the system the revenue will make the employer pay the whole TWSS back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

capefear wrote: »
    Revenue have been doing compliance checks for a while now and they have other ways of checking, such as TWSS reconcilations, corporation tax returns, vat returns etc.

If an employer has been found to be abusing the system the revenue will make the employer pay the whole TWSS back.

Good to know thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Could someone clarify something for me? I was on the TWSS and then later the PUP. When I click on the statement of liability it says that I owe over €500 to Revenue but then when I click further to complete my tax income statement and confirm my bank details, etc at the bottom of on the pages it says “DSP Pandemic Unemployment Payment” and the figure next to is over €5k. There’s a tick box beside that figure asking me to confirm it. So do I have to pay over €500 AND the €5k? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I got in.
    Am due a refund............woooooo hooooooo........ but really probably not.......well maybe a little.....

It has employment details for myself and the wife and when she got laid off it shows her PUP. But I went to a 2 day week and have been claiming short time from dole and it doesn’t show that amount...... is that the same for others? When would they update that?

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Could someone clarify something for me? I was on the TWSS and then later the PUP. When I click on the statement of liability it says that I owe over €500 to Revenue but then when I click further to complete my tax income statement and confirm my bank details, etc at the bottom of on the pages it says “DSP Pandemic Unemployment Payment” and the figure next to is over €5k. There’s a tick box beside that figure asking me to confirm it. So do I have to pay over €500 AND the €5k? Thanks in advance!

No, they would be just asking you to agree the PUP amount you received. Your bill is the 500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Lollipop95 wrote: »

No, the €5k is what you have received in total from PUP I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Great, thanks both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

capefear wrote: »

They have to pay all the TWSS back, the difference between the J9 and employee's normal PRSI class and correct the PRSI Class Insurance Weeks.

However, the employee is still left with their Income Tax and USC bill and in most cases an unauthorized reduction in wages.

Revenue have given employers the option to pay employees Tax liability, but the process has multiple issues.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Tow wrote: »
    However, the employee is still left with their Income Tax and USC bill and in most cases an unauthorized reduction in wages.

The employee can - and should - take a case to the Workplace Relations Commission if there's been a reduction in wages not agreed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Seve OB wrote: »
    I got in.
    Am due a refund............woooooo hooooooo........ but really probably not.......well maybe a little.....

It has employment details for myself and the wife and when she got laid off it shows her PUP. But I went to a 2 day week and have been claiming short time from dole and it doesn’t show that amount...... is that the same for others? When would they update that?

Short time jobseekers is not taxable

Short time jobseekers is not taxable

really? i didn't know that.
    i think regular jobseekers though is?

another point my wife is adding up the PUP payments she received into her bank and there is a difference ........ revenue say she got more than she actually did, quite a big difference actually

can i confirm the PUP rates were 350 through to sept, a dip for a few weeks to 300 and then back up to 350.

another point my wife is adding up the PUP payments she received into her bank and there is a difference ........ revenue say she got more than she actually did, quite a big difference actually

She added up wrong. But still a difference. €700 they say more than what was received. Anyone with anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

really? i didn't know that.
    i think regular jobseekers though is?

can i confirm the PUP rates were 350 through to sept, a dip for a few weeks to 300 and then back up to 350.

Correct, if she was earning over €400 previously.

All rates here.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

She added up wrong. But still a difference. €700 they say more than what was received. Anyone with anything similar?

If she logs in to mywelfare.ie she can request a statement for 2020 which shows the total of all the payments by clicking her name, then "My payment history" and scrolling to the bottom for "request a statement". But she could also crosscheck her bank payments with each payment listed on the payment history page to see if she missed something or if revenue did make a mistake.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My wife was on PUP from April - August, but Revenue registered her income as 0 and tax due as 0. Should I just let it slide until Revenue contact/fix it, or practively update it/contact them?

brianomc wrote: »
    If she logs in to mywelfare.ie she can request a statement for 2020 which shows the total of all the payments by clicking her name, then "My payment history" and scrolling to the bottom for "request a statement". But she could also crosscheck her bank payments with each payment listed on the payment history page to see if she missed something or if revenue did make a mistake.

Yes we did that request statement thing but it does not seem to be instant so we need to wait for that.
    Reviewed payment history where and that it’s how I realised she had miscalculated when matching that up against all bank statements.
    So still 700 in the difference.
    Will wait till the statement comes through, might be Monday I guess at the earliest when people are back in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Has anyone had trouble trying to cancel their covid payment?

I started working again on January 4th and cancelled my payment via the my welfare website, but I'm still getting €350.
    Is there a backlog when it comes to processing?

• Advertisement

Yes we did that request statement thing but it does not seem to be instant so we need to wait for that.
    Reviewed payment history where and that it’s how I realised she had miscalculated when matching that up against all bank statements.
    So still 700 in the difference.
    Will wait till the statement comes through, might be Monday I guess at the earliest when people are back in work.

got the statement and it matches the bank receipts. tax comp saying 700 more. so people beware and double check your figures. we are sending an enquiry through my account and will wait and see what they have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Has anyone had trouble trying to cancel their covid payment?

I started working again on January 4th and cancelled my payment via the my welfare website, but I'm still getting €350.
    Is there a backlog when it comes to processing?

It may be the fact the payment is made a week in arrears? It's likely no payment this week, bizzarely there's no notification when you close your claim

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It may be the fact the payment is made a week in arrears? It's likely no payment this week, bizzarely there's no notification when you close your claim

No notification when you get or close your claim

No notification when you get or close your claim

Correct

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Sorry to ask a question that's probably been asked already..

I logged in to my revenue account and couldn't find anything so I filled out the income tax return. I'm assuming I just have to sit back and wait?

I downloaded all my payslips for last year and it's looks like there's 3 months of TWSS on there.. so i'm assuming it will just be the 3 months I have to pay back if I'm not due a refund.

conor_ie wrote: »
    Sorry to ask a question that's probably been asked already..

I logged in to my revenue account and couldn't find anything so I filled out the income tax return. I'm assuming I just have to sit back and wait?

I downloaded all my payslips for last year and it's looks like there's 3 months of TWSS on there.. so i'm assuming it will just be the 3 months I have to pay back if I'm not due a refund.

If your looking for your statement of Liability, you need to go to 2017/2020, if it's there (some still waiting) you will see it available, go from there.

Just got mine through now, and just like Seve OB, my covid amount is over by 700.

brianomc wrote: »
    Just got mine through now, and just like Seve OB, my covid amount is over by 700.

What’s going on with that?

What’s going on with that?

I've gone through each payment in mywelfare. The only thing I can come up with is that altogether I have been paid 12,050 in PUP and this is what revenue are using for the statement of liability. 11,350 is what the statement shows for 2020. But one payment received in January is actually for December (25th - 31st). The other payment is Jan 1st - 7th 2021.

I have submitted an enquiry in myAccount and attached the statement from myWelfare. If I hear anything I will post back, and you might do the same if you hear anything please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Has any employer experience of paying the twss tax on behalf of the employee?

Revenue website says if your payroll provider can't do it, then it must be done manually through ROS. There doesn't seem to be an option to do it on ROS though.

And even before that, is there a way to calculate the twss tax liability without going through each employees' personal balancing statement? Given people will have personal circumstances that will need to be adjusted for, this could be a nightmare for large companies. Not sure if Revenue have fully thought this through.

Advertisement