Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Subsidy Scheme Issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

noodler wrote: »
    Pretty sure it says the employer does.not have to deduct.

Not that they cannot.

See section 1.7

Not only does the guidance state you must pay over the subsidy in full, the legislation also states this

Under section 28(5)(d) of the [Covid-19] Act, the employer must pay to the employee “an additional amount equivalent to the wage subsidy”, which means the subsidy amount must be paid to the employee in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Happy4all wrote: »
    over how long a period does an employer's have to be down 25% ?

The declaration by the employer is not a declaration of insolvency. The declaration is simply a declaration which states that, based on reasonable projections, there will be, as a result of disruption to the business caused or to be caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, a decline of at least 25% in the future turnover of, or customer orders for, the business for the duration of the pandemic and that as a result the employer cannot pay normal wages and outgoings fully but nonetheless wants to retain its employees on the payroll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

LJ_20 wrote: »
    Correct, it was unpaid maternity leave. However, the document I referenced says the below;

"4.6 What if an employee was not on Payroll in January or February 2020?
    There can be cases where an employee was in employment but who did not receive normal pay in January or
    February 2020, such as reduced pay, maternity leave or off-pay leave. In such cases the employer can either:
    • operate the scheme based on Average Net Weekly Pay,
    • pay the employee the appropriate wages without receiving a subsidy refund, or
    • the employee may decide not to participate in the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme and instead apply
    directly to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection for the Pandemic Unemployment
    Payment."

I would have thought this section covers me as it's for employees that were not on payroll in January or February. I am really surprised that maternity leave may not be protected here.

if you read what you posted it says

• operate the scheme based on Average Net Weekly Pay, -- you have no pay in Jan/Feb so your average net weekly pay is 0. So with this choice you get 0.

"• pay the employee the appropriate wages without receiving a subsidy refund,"
    -- I.e. No refund for the employer. If the employer can pay you still their decision but given no refund for them there's 0 incentive for them to do so.

• the employee may decide not to participate in the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme and instead apply directly to the Department - this is in reality the most likely option unless ER has reserves to keep you on otherwise.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yes that’s the correct section. Previous poster highgiant is incorrect. Show this document to your employer. As I say, call revenue and explain to them the situation and they can guide you.

If the ER is struggling they will not process the employee through the scheme as there's no benefit to the ER in doing so as they'll get nothing back from Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If the ER is struggling they will not process the employee through the scheme as there's no benefit to the ER in doing so as they'll get nothing back from Revenue.

The benefit is that the employee stays on the books as an employee as opposed to going on the live register.

• Advertisement

The benefit is that the employee stays on the books as an employee as opposed to going on the live register.

Fair enough accepted re the employee benefit but from an employer perspective if they don't have the money that's useless to them and they'll say i just don't have the money to pay you.

Fair enough accepted re the employee benefit but from an employer perspective if they don't have the money that's useless to them and they'll say i just don't have the money to pay you.

it doesn't have to cost the employer a shilling

it doesn't have to cost the employer a shilling

It’ll cost them approx €1.75 per employee minimum - 0.5% employers PRSI 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gb19815

Guys what happens with bank holiday this Monday ? Are we entitled to be paid for it if getting subsidy payment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭Tow

gb19815 wrote: »
    Guys what happens with bank holiday this Monday ? Are we entitled to be paid for it if getting subsidy payment ?

It is a flat amount if money, based on your pay frequency. Holidays and Bank Holidays do not come into it.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

For anyone waiting on their first 70% covid payment you can look forward to a nice tax refund from the revenue on your first payment. Pleasant surprise when I got paid today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

eh i dunno wrote: »
    For anyone waiting on their first 70% covid payment you can look forward to a nice tax refund from the revenue on your first payment. Pleasant surprise when I got paid today.

Thats a double edged sword. You will have less tax allowances once you are back at work and hence less net pay in future during this tax year or less allowances over next year.

Advice is to ask your employer to put you on a week one basis so you only receive tax credits for each individual week.

Thats a double edged sword. You will have less tax allowances once you are back at work and hence less net pay in future during this tax year or less allowances over next year.

Advice is to ask your employer to put you on a week one basis so you only receive tax credits for each individual week.

Cheers but I won't be spending it anyway. The next payslip will be the frightening one.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Even if you switch to week one basis, you will still owe tax after the year end. The subsidy is not treated as taxable until then.

I just did a quick pay summary for myself for the year, if I switch to week one basis I will still owe €260 tax at the year end, if I stay on cumulative basis I will have an extra €538 in my take home pay in 2020 but will owe this plus the €260 above back to Revenue after the year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

han2000 wrote: »
    Even if you switch to week one basis, you will still owe tax after the year end. The subsidy is not treated as taxable until then.

I just did a quick pay summary for myself for the year, if I switch to week one basis I will still owe €260 tax at the year end, if I stay on cumulative basis I will have an extra €538 in my take home pay in 2020 but will owe this plus the €260 above back to Revenue after the year end.

Correct but my advice is so that you mitigate the possibility of a real reduction in net income in the future, they are going to tax it anyway I wouldn't like to add on taking the tax refunds also into account as its going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Pistachio19

Correct but my advice is so that you mitigate the possibility of a real reduction in net income in the future, they are going to tax it anyway I wouldn't like to add on taking the tax refunds also into account as its going to hurt.

Your advice contradicts the advice previously given on this thread:

"Why did you move staff to week 1 basis? Unless told to by revenue you should never do this, indeed, revenue don’t even tell you that it’s ok to do this now, it should be all done via the rpn’s"

Where did you get your advice to move staff to week 1?

blackwhite wrote: »
    It’ll cost them approx €1.75 per employee minimum - 0.5% employers PRSI 😂

There is no employer prsi on the subsidy. Only on the top up

That is bad advice. Your payroll operator should never ever change your status from cumulative to week 1 off their own bat. They must go by the rpn which is updated before every pay run.

You could ask the revenue to move you to a week 1 basis though.

There is no employer prsi on the subsidy. Only on the top up

Sorry - you're right. Had been looking at the guidance again after a glass or two of red :D

blackwhite wrote: »
    Sorry - you're right. Had been looking at the guidance again after a glass or two of red :D

been there!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Very true, I'm thinking myself that I'm going to stay on cumulative basis and any the extra net pay I receive for the next few weeks I will put aside with no intention of spending it.

Just given the way things are at the minute I'd rather have any extra cash at hand just in case things get worse work wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Hi guys,

So OHs employer put him on the covid payment about 2 wks ago. But he rang today and asked him to come in on Tuesday saying that he can work a certain amount of hours without affecting the payment.

I've tried reading citizens info but I'm very confused. Does anyone know if this is true? (Employer tends to bs alot!)

**EDITED TO ADD- It is meant to be am essential service that hes doing***

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some info here your OH can dig through.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

Possibly this applies
    If you have been temporarily placed on a shorter working week, you may qualify for Short Time Work Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Question.... does an employer HAVE to top up to the level of the Wk1-Wk09 average??

EG.... John worked a ball of overtime for January cost Pat his mate did only bare 39 hrs. They both on same rate. But John average take home for the 9 weeks was say €800 and Pat average (on 39hr weeks as he did very little OT) was €580. If both worked 39 hrs at same rate they would each come put with say €550 for argument sake. What figure has the employer to pay Pat as part of this scheme? Covid19 subsidy + Top up = €800 or Covid19+Topup = €550.

Jeez... this is a minefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

biko wrote: »
    Some info here your OH can dig through.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

Possibly this applies

I was looking at that. But hea already been put onto the covid payment. Would this be something different?

No requirement to top up at all

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1248575820060405760?s=09

They should publish the names of the companies who contributed nothing

eh i dunno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1248575820060405760?s=09

They should publish the names of the companies who contributed nothing

Why? Do they Normally publish the pay rates of individual companies?

Some companies may not have a shilling and be closed up but are operating the scheme. So your witch hunt won’t show a true picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anonymous08

Why is 76K gross quoted as the limit in many places and nett figure 960 PW quoted in other places.

Surely a gross figure would be more equitable etc.

Also, how is the estimated pay calculated is it pay in 2019 or the 1st 2 months of 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Question: if employee was on unpaid compassionate leave for January are these excluded in the calculation of average weekly pay for the scheme?

Advertisement