Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races/Arts festival, closing for COVID?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

youngrun wrote: »
    Those at risk or who are ill have a very capable health service to take care of them.now . .

I want to shout and call you names for the above statement.....::::..........77 deaths today bringing the number to 787 and no spare ventilators.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Let’s concentrate on social distancing correctly and reduce the death total. 77 is very high, things won’t even start to return until that’s in the low low teens
    and we are and have been doing that social distancing is working. I'm working in pharmacy at moment and from all I've heard is we will see a gradual return to normality relatively soon or at least far sooner than some are putting out in media.
    There will be transition to normality and if we continue with progress we have been making over recent weeks in the next month or two we will see racing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Races may well go ahead but without the crowds. Events need to start at some stage with social distancing and limited crowds at first as you cant stop everything until a vaccine is ready as that may be considerable time.

Where would everyone stay?jockeys,trainers,grooms,farriers,vets,etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

and we are and have been doing that social distancing is working. I'm working in pharmacy at moment and from all I've heard is we will see a gradual return to normality relatively soon or at least far sooner than some are putting out in media.
    There will be transition to normality and if we continue with progress we have been making over recent weeks in the next month or two we will see racing back.

Judging by the crowds around We’ve only been half assed social distancing, some of the countries that are lifting their lockdown were far far stricter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Where would everyone stay?jockeys,trainers,grooms,farriers,vets,etc

Most of these people go home every evening as there is horses to be ridden and tended to in their respective yards every morning.

Presume if racing is back that hotels would be open for at least rooms anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Totally different events and can’t be compared to the races from a logistics point of view (qualifying also etc). Also Wimbledon starts mid June which is a lot closer.

The races could be a fairly late call imo no need to be jumping into cancelling the biggest week of the year in Galway. It could be the saviour of many businesses in Galway too which can’t be forgotten.

They needed to be cancelled to collect on their insurance policies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

tipptom wrote: »
    Most of these people go home every evening as there is horses to be ridden and tended to in their respective yards every morning.

Presume if racing is back that hotels would be open for at least rooms anyway.

Personally I don’t think Galway will see any racing this year.leaving cert isn’t until august and most people busy id say it will skip a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Per The Irish Times:
    All mass gathering will be banned until August at the earliest, under plans set to be announced by the Government due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

It is understood the decision was taken by Ministers at a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-all-mass-gatherings-in-state-set-to-be-banned-until-august-1.4234326

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Pen Rua wrote: »

Any hope they could postpone them I wonder rather than cancelling? Serious blow to the local economy if both the Arts Festival and Races don’t go ahead this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Redo91 wrote: »
    Any hope they could postpone them I wonder rather than cancelling? Serious blow to the local economy if both the Arts Festival and Races don’t go ahead this year.
    What don't you get about the situation. There is a virus sweeping the globe and overwhelming humanity with very little to no possibility of a vaccination. They might as well put that ban on mass gatherings down indefinitely. The economy is not going to be able to recover from this... certainly not while it's happening, for whatever amount of time that is. Probably not for a long time afterwards either, if we do actually manage to find some way of reducing the risks.

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    What don't you get about the situation. There is a virus sweeping the globe and overwhelming humanity with very little to no possibility of a vaccination. They might as well put that ban on mass gatherings down indefinitely. The economy is not going to be able to recover from this... certainly not while it's happening, for whatever amount of time that is. Probably not for a long time afterwards either, if we do actually manage to find some way of reducing the risks.

No I get it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Actual wording says events requiring a license i.e concerts etc. Don't think the race committee need to apply for a license annually but I could be wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »

This has now be confirmed by Govt, with additional clarification that the blanket ban applies to "licenced events of over 5,000 people."

https://www.thejournal.ie/mass-gatherings-august-5080226-Apr2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

The festivals are definitely off but the racing may go ahead behind closed doors

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I'd imagine some of the Arts Festival events will go ahead online, just as Cúirt is going ahead online this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

westgolf wrote: »
    Actual wording says events requiring a license i.e concerts etc. Don't think the race committee need to apply for a license annually but I could be wrong ?

Events with a capacity of more than 5000 requires a licence. So unless they run is behind closed doors...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Events with a capacity of more than 5000 requires a licence. So unless they run is behind closed doors...

Do they mean licensed as in serving alcohol (as in licensed premises) or requiring a license to operate or both?

s1ippy wrote: »

You need to calm down and stop preaching your brand of hysterics at people.

The races will go ahead despite your screaming.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Do they mean licensed as in serving alcohol (as in licensed premises) or requiring a license to operate or both?

I take it as an event licence, nothing to do with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I imagine smaller bookmakers would be annoyed that all the major online shops like Paddy Power, Ladbrookes, BetFair etc, will be given a free run to hover up all the betting.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I imagine smaller bookmakers would be annoyed that all the major online shops like Paddy Power, Ladbrookes, BetFair etc, will be given a free run to hover up all the betting.

bNot that many smaller bricks and morter small fellas left and are in big trouble.

Its the on course bookies who will suffer the most Id say as they will not get back to work until way after the rest of them and even then their takings will be halved as a lot of elderly people wont go racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

tipptom wrote: »
    You need to calm down and stop preaching your brand of hysterics at people.

The races will go ahead despite your screaming.

https://www.galwayraces.com/statement-on-behalf-of-the-galway-race-commitee/

May happen behind closed doors but definitely closed to the public

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, if they aren't getting money in the gates, how are the organisers going to pay the prize money to the competitors?

Just got an email from races, event called off but looking to run it behind closed doors as expected.
    flazio wrote: »
    So, if they aren't getting money in the gates, how are the organisers going to pay the prize money to the competitors?

There is big tv money in it for the racecourse. Also a lot of the prize money is sponsorship much of that could still come in and/Or the sponsors may be contractually obliged to pay it. Also the bookies may step in also and put up some prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Just got an email from races, event called off but looking to run it behind closed doors as expected.

There is big tv money in it for the racecourse. Also a lot of the prize money is sponsorship much of that could still come in and/Or the sponsors may be contractually obliged to pay it. Also the bookies may step in also and put up some prize money.

Bookies may only be online though, right? Can't see bookie shops open before pubs do?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

At least we will be spared that annual puke fest! Every cloud...

Arts Festival organisers said they would cancel just yet as the Big Top is actually licensed for less than 5,000 people. I was only thinking this myself this morning but figured it must hold more but apparently not going by their announcement. Still a long shot it would go ahead but at least there’s still a very slight glimmer of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Arts Festival organisers said they would cancel just yet as the Big Top is actually licensed for less than 5,000 people. I was only thinking this myself this morning but figured it must hold more but apparently not going by their announcement. Still a long shot it would go ahead but at least there’s still a very slight glimmer of hope.

Far less than 5k in the big top, less again if you have social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Races take place at the end of July. If they plan on holding it behind closed doors, I wonder if that's also a nod on how the Government expects to handle tourists coming over for the summer.

Many would have booked trips around events that may be cancelled but if flights are allowed to recommence with social distancing required and precautions taken, it risks those people being unable to get a refund on their flights and hotels. They may feel inclined to make the trip anyway rather than be out the money.

Wonder if the risk is worth the reward for the city.

Advertisement