Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Post for fencing query

Options
  • 01-04-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Starting to plan this job. Will be using 1.8m panels and 300mm concrete gravel boards and 2.7m concrete posts. Garden has block walls on either side and I'm fencing in the back which is open.

Question around where the fence meets a garden wall on either side. I've cleared out along where the gravel boards will be but where the first and last post would go there is a large concrete foundation for the wall (no surprise)

Options are:

1) dig out around foundation for a post (don't fancy that!)
    2) use a cut down concrete for 1st/last post, attached to side wall with fixings and use as normal
    3) use a wooden post instead of concrete for 1st/last post, attached to side wall with fixings and then use clips to attach gravel board/fence panel to the wooden post
    4) no wooden/concrete post, just attach clips for gravel board/panel directly to the wall.

I'm thinking #3 (#2) for ease of cutting? same principle but wonder if means any extra load on side walls?

What is typically done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think I'd just use brackets on the wall to hold the timber (and gravel board) in place.

If you dont like the look you can easily try another option and you haven't really wasted much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Darando wrote: »
    Starting to plan this job. Will be using 1.8m panels and 300mm concrete gravel boards and 2.7m concrete posts. Garden has block walls on either side and I'm fencing in the back which is open.

Question around where the fence meets a garden wall on either side. I've cleared out along where the gravel boards will be but where the first and last post would go there is a large concrete foundation for the wall (no surprise)

Options are:

1) dig out around foundation for a post (don't fancy that!)
    2) use a cut down concrete for 1st/last post, attached to side wall with fixings and use as normal
    3) use a wooden post instead of concrete for 1st/last post, attached to side wall with fixings and then use clips to attach gravel board/fence panel to the wooden post
    4) no wooden/concrete post, just attach clips for gravel board/panel directly to the wall.

I'm thinking #3 (#2) for ease of cutting? same principle but wonder if means any extra load on side walls?

What is typically done?

I have done this several times but u need the right tools. Option 2, cut post to correct height. It will have metal running through it do wear goggles. Pre drill 2 holes, top n bottom,in the slot where timber slides down. Get post in position and through these holes mark on wall where u need to drill into. Move post and drill the holes .then use frame fixers or express nails to attach to wall job done. Hope all this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

rje66 wrote: »
    I have done this several times but u need the right tools. Option 2, cut post to correct height. It will have metal running through it do wear goggles. Pre drill 2 holes, top n bottom,in the slot where timber slides down. Get post in position and through these holes mark on wall where u need to drill into. Move post and drill the holes .then use frame fixers or express nails to attach to wall job done. Hope all this makes sense.

Top class advice.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Drilling through those posts is painful as they are full of aggregate and you risk cracking the post itself (it wont fall apart due to the rebar)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

GreeBo wrote: »
    Drilling through those posts is painful as they are full of aggregate and you risk cracking the post itself (it wont fall apart due to the rebar)

Done it plenty of times. No problem yet. Masonry bit eats it upðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Cheers,

I have an SDS drill so I'll go with that to drill it, just have to borrow/rent a consaw to cut the post to size, will need it anyway to sort the cut a gravel board anyway..

All makes sense- just wanted to hear someone else's thoughts so I wasn't going ott.

If all else fails then I get gravel brackets and panel brackets next time a hardware/Homebase etc.. opens!
    Done it plenty of times. No problem yet. Masonry bit eats it upðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Advertisement