Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EBS "Ghost Transaction"?

• 01-04-2020 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,
    I placed an order a few days ago for Tesco online shopping. It was paid for no problem or so I thought.
    The transaction went through but also the same amount is now pending as another transaction.

I contacted Tesco who called it a Ghost Transaction and said I should contact EBS.
    After 20 minutes waiting to get through they told me I need written proof from Tesco that they wont claim the pending amount which is €190

To be honest I need this money right now for bills and stuff.
    No word back from Tesco after 3 days waiting, so my question is will this amount eventually return to my bank automatically?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi,
    I placed an order a few days ago for Tesco online shopping. It was paid for no problem or so I thought.
    The transaction went through but also the same amount is now pending as another transaction.

I contacted Tesco who called it a Ghost Transaction and said I should contact EBS.
    After 20 minutes waiting to get through they told me I need written proof from Tesco that they wont claim the pending amount which is €190

To be honest I need this money right now for bills and stuff.
    No word back from Tesco after 3 days waiting, so my question is will this amount eventually return to my bank automatically?

thanks

Was this with a debit card?

Most/all Credit/Debit card transaction with a dual message system, the first "message" is the authorisation request to reserve the required funds for the transactions, the second message is to process the transaction, which transfers the funds from your account to the merchant.

The card issuers (ESB in your case) should match these requests so that only one appears on your account, sometimes this goes wrong, which is what happend in your case.

With Debit cards, the auth request is normally only good for 3 days, and then expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnB123456

Yeah it was my EBS Debit card, I understand Tesco are under pressure at the moment but the transaction in question was on the 27th of March so Im a little worried

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnB123456

Would anyone know if I can escalate this somehow?
    The bank and Tesco keep fobbing me off back and forward between themselves now and its been a week.
    I have bills to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

A pending transaction on a debit card can take up to 10 working days to drop off.

Has happened to me a couple of times.

The retailer will blame the bank and the bank will blame the retailer.

Advertisement