Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rónán Mullen tops poll and re-elected to Senate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is good that Ronan Mullen got elected, it shows we live in a democracy.

I don't get why some people want everyone to be like sheep singing from the same hymn sheet, we need people of varied opinion whether one agrees with them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

God forbid the politics of stopping women deciding what to do with their own bodies or stopping gay people having rights gets interfered with. Wouldnt want to clear up time to actually get important **** done.

quite. but my point stands.

politics involves imposing your world view on people who didnt vote for you.

RobertKK wrote: »

I don't get why some people want everyone to be like sheep singing from the same hymn sheet, we need people of varied opinion whether one agrees with them or not.
    because to some, people who disagree with us socially or politically are no longer "wrong", they are evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

BarryD2 wrote: »
    But you can look past that and see Norris as a generally warm, engaging, thoughtful & considerate person & public representative. We all make mistakes and have to live with them. I've never heard Norris trying to ram his ideology down peoples throats.

No, I can’t. He is a pompous self serving leech who I have no time for. On long term ‘disability’ from his university job for decades yet he can serve as a full time senator and run for president? Pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

But you can look past that and see Norris as a generally warm, engaging, thoughtful & considerate person & public representative. We all make mistakes and have to live with them. I've never heard Norris trying to ram his ideology down peoples throats.

I like and respect Norris too.

Political liberalism was presented to Irish society from the '60s onwards in such a monolithic way as normal - appearing in neighbouring nations, across all media including films and TV etc., and talked about as if it were just a fact of life that people don't think of it as 'pushing ideology'. Norris has campaigned for politically liberal causes all his life, starting when the society was still traditionally Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Am delighted that ronan Mullen got elected.

There is nothing democratic about the Seanad. There is a reason he isn't in the Dail.

growleaves wrote: »
    I like and respect Norris too.

Political liberalism was presented to Irish society from the '60s onwards in such a monolithic way as normal - appearing in neighbouring nations, across all media including films and TV etc., and talked about as if it were just a fact of life that people don't think of it as 'pushing ideology'. Norris has campaigned for politically liberal causes all his life, starting when the society was still traditionally Catholic.
    Is Ronan Mullen kind of the David Norris of Ireland in 2020? ie totally at odds with the moral majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Is Ronan Mullen kind of the David Norris of Ireland in 2020? ie totally at odds with the moral majority?

I guess that both have had some courage to go against the dominant beliefs.

I don't think that traditional Catholicism can make a comeback. Especially after the last few weeks where the church closed the healing pools at Lourdes because of a disease (irony?). I think a future Christian society, if it was ever going to happen, could only be created by people with a totally different mentality, i.e. less conformist, more creative, possibly uninterested in politics and more purely 'spiritual'.

A lecturer in England said that Irish Catholicism was 'covertly materialist', in other words way too focused on political power and directing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Delighted Ronan got elected and increased his overall votes. Whilst I voted for the Seaned to be abolished as it is a waste of taxpayers money with the likes of Mary Black, Norris, Bachik and that SF lad Warfield, but I didn't go off and set up a dedicated thread to have a pop at them, like the OP decided to do with this thread about Senator Mullen. So suck it up OP, it was a democratic election Ronan won, you got upset and life moves on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely everyone should have a vote in a democracy?

No one needs anyone to tell them what they can do with their bodies or who they can love .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

So, does this mean Ruth is going back to teaching. A more frightening prospect surely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Delighted Mr Mullen got elected, poor auld Ruth may wave her thong in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

doylefe wrote: »
    The saltiness is evident.

I don't think it's salty I find it particularly galling that a load of priests can vote someone into he seanad just by having gone to a bloody college.

I find it equally galling that of load of anyone can vote anyone to the seanad just by having gone to a college.

This is not democratic and even less so given this places graduate makeup.

This system needs to be scrapped asap. Mullen has no democratic Mandate for his platform. None.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

statesaver wrote: »
    So, does this mean Ruth is going back to teaching. A more frightening prospect surely

Someone should really move to organise a protest to prevent this vile misandrist thug getting to run a classroom of impressionable youth.

Normally I wouldn't agree with people being sacked because of their personal views or politics. But Ruth thought it was good enough for George Hook and Paddy Jackson so I don't see why it shouldn't be applied to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Lisa Smyth must be delighted Lynn Boylan got in to fight her corner. Boylan did a fine job of deflection and fake news peddling the last time a lying Islamist radical got into bother abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Ronan Mullen is absolutely nothing like David Norris. That's why I am delighted that ronan Mullen is elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Surely everyone should have a vote in a democracy?

No one needs anyone to tell them what they can do with their bodies or who they can love .

I agree it should be opened up to more people to vote in the seanad elections.

If you do not agree with someone, then you don't vote for them if you have a vote. We should not be encouraging censorship of opinions one disagrees with, it is not compatible with a liberal democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Acosta

There was probably nobody else against Repeal that did their side more harm than he did over the entire campaign when he appeared on the final debate 24 hours before the referendum. He's an evangelical nutter, against anything remotely progressive that takes this country away from a time when the church had too much of a say on how we lived our lives, and the vast majority of Irish people have his number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Fair dues to him on one hand if he can get elected from the NUI panel. But I've heard him in full flow and I can think of few other public representatives that are so 'in your face' as regards social conservatism. I'd respect people generally but I find him quite unlikable and objectionable in the way he carries debate.

And would dare say I share that with most moderate citizens of this state. I can only assume that the valid poll for the NUI panel must be completely unrepresentative of and a small fraction of all those entitled to vote. Well shame on those who had a vote and failed to use it.

I say that also as someone not entitled to vote for the Seanad elections but who did vote back in the referendum to get rid of the whole shower of shysters!

Was this the lad that tried to falsely claim someone sexually abused someone else when he was in TCD? I think it might have been. Think there was a thread about it years ago

• Advertisement

Fair play to Ronan. He'll have zero discernible influence in the holiday home for failed politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Delighted he got elected to remind people what conservative Catholic Ireland is like. Every time he opens his mouth the church loses members and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

This is terrible. People getting elected that we dont agree with. Where will it all end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Fair play to Ronan. He'll have zero discernible influence in the holiday home for failed politicians.

I prefer 'Students Union For Grownups'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The "moral majority"? What the hell is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

doylefe wrote: »
    Dehumanise your political opponents. Familiar.

There has been a good few examples now on boards of those with a certain political slant dehumanising their political opponents. Not good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Democracy is about everyone having their say, and different opinions are reflected in the Dail, the Seanad and councils. Not the "moderns" shouting down everyone else and demanding their way or no way, or else we'll organise a peaceful rowdy march to bully you into getting our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Retarded or not, he has 68k in his ar5e pocket per annum.

That’s a pretty shït wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wish it was as alright do get this disproportionatly angry about those who believe in other religions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

And by the way mods feel free to ban me if you wish but Rónán Mullens is still a ****ing retard and anybody supporting him shares that shame.

Advertisement